Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
Studs: none

duds: Stubby and dunderdummy.
I totally agree with this.

Start with Capers... Reportedly, Capers game plans to stop either the run or the pass, depending upon the opponent. This game, the defense stopped neither the run nor the pass. Mark Ingram rushed for 172 yards, for crying out loud. You can't beat a team with an elite QB by letting them rush for those kind of numbers.

As the game went on, the rush defense got worse. No adjustments at halftime on the defense. If there were some, they failed.

Capers didn't fool Payton and Brees. The Packers' pass rush was negated by quick throws to the middle and the judicious use of screen passes. In the second half, when Brees got Jimmy Graham involved, the Packers had no answer and it was game over.

As bad as Capers performed, Stubby was worse...

The Packers' offense started fast, but instead of playing to their strengths, McCarthy got cute. The pass to Peppers was a joke. You've got two of the top WR in the league, a sure-handed rookie, and Quarless who caught the same pass two weeks earlier to win the game against the Dolphins. Instead, Rodgers throws a bullet to an elephant LB. I'm assuming Stubby made the call. I'm assuming they spent valuable game-prep time practicing it. My only question is: Why?

Then, for some unknown reason, Stubby decides to get cute with an onsides kick, giving Brees the ball in Packer territory. Again, why? You're 3 points yup. The offense is moving the ball. It's early. Why?

Some say Stubby was just being aggressive. I disagree. It was a foolish risk, with an improbably upside, for what? To demoralize Brees?

And if Stubby is such an aggressive, risk-happy coach, consider the 4th and 1 call: a fairly pedestrian -- and predictable -- Lacy carry. If McCarthy was a risk-taker, why not fling a pass downfield on that play, with the defense up?

The week before, when Payton, Brees and Company took a licking, they took inventory of themselves. Each player looked within himself and took responsibility. They vowed to turn their game around...and did.

Let's hope Stubby, Capers and company do the same. This team is not as good as they thought they were.