Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Midseason Night Grades

Jennifer lawrence is a hag

And WAY overrated as an actress imo

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong (could be wrong play), but I think on that play the Gulls ran a read-option pass. Capers stated that Shields did not err as his assignment was to contain Wilson. Ha-Ha, I believe, was supposed to cover Sheilds' guy, but he got there a bit late and then proceed miss the tackle with one of his trademark "dive at the feet" tackle.
    Could be. I don't remember Capers talking about it, but I don't remember very many of the excuses, I mean explanations Capers gives!

Didn't the Bears kind of go after Shields a bit, and complete a bunch of passes to his guy? I seem to remember McGinn or someone pointing that out.

I think Shields has been OK, but not close to pro bowl level, and certainly not a $10M man. Still his typical frail self physically, which, of course, is not his fault just a reality with him..

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Could be. I don't remember Capers talking about it, but I don't remember very many of the excuses, I mean explanations Capers gives!

Didn't the Bears kind of go after Shields a bit, and complete a bunch of passes to his guy? I seem to remember McGinn or someone pointing that out.

I think Shields has been OK, but not close to pro bowl level, and certainly not a $10M man. Still his typical frail self physically, which, of course, is not his fault just a reality with him..
    He's a very good corner, but I was a little surprised at the money he got.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar

I've never been much of a Shields fan. IMO he's really good at just one thing and it just so happens that the one thing he's good at is defending the go or 9 route. Its the route that gets WR's paid so it makes sense that it would get CB's paid as well. It seems like we bought high on Shields as his one skill is currently a premium. Pretty much the same reason I didn't want Byrd. With the tackling issues we've seen from Shields and House, I can't help but wonder if that 10 Mil would have been better spent on Vonte Davis. On 80% of plays, it seems to me like Davis is the better corner.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    I've never been much of a Shields fan. IMO he's really good at just one thing and it just so happens that the one thing he's good at is defending the go or 9 route. Its the route that gets WR's paid so it makes sense that it would get CB's paid as well. It seems like we bought high on Shields as his one skill is currently a premium. Pretty much the same reason I didn't want Byrd. With the tackling issues we've seen from Shields and House, I can't help but wonder if that 10 Mil would have been better spent on Vonte Davis. On 80% of plays, it seems to me like Davis is the better corner.
    I agree that Davis is better on 80% of the plays - the thing is, Shields is better on the 20% that seem to matter. Patler brought up in the NO game day thread that most pro games hinge on a couple of pivotol plays that can change the outcome of the game. Well, a successful 9 route (or the drawing of a DPI penalty - same thing) is one of those plays.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Where the hell were you assholes a few months back when i was saying we had just overpaid for shields and got crucified by the rest of the forum?

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    Where the hell were you assholes a few months back when i was saying we had just overpaid for shields and got crucified by the rest of the forum?
    In our defense, we just thought you were drunk and ragey.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Well.....

Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    I give a shit.

I've seen him wreck forums & he's not gonna wreck this one.

He's been housebroken so far, but if he starts his shit (& schtick), he ain't getting away with it here.

Tolerate? fine, but everybody needs to know who they are talking to.

When he starts his crap, he needs to go.
    ^^^

Pretty much this.

He can only stay away from his normal act for so long. What's remarkable is that he returns to this same tired schtick year after year. Of all the trolls, he certainly is the most persistent. Though the fact that he hasn't "grown up" in the however many years he's been around and instead would rather be Tank is kind of sad.

Rat Starter
    Stinker, don't you have a forum to moderate? Oh, right. You have like 5 posters left at that lame site of yours. Say hi to Pt and Dave for me, will ya?

Ever heard of creative writing and humor? Humor is pretty much satire.

It's OK that you don't like my form of humor. Humor is in the eyes of the beholder, said a wise woman. I find Harlan, Nutz and Rand to be very funny. Heck, even Texaspackerbacker can be funny. If I ever want to satirize "the other side," I'm gonna consult with Tex. On the hand, I don't find Nutz's BFF, Skinbasket, and Scotty Campbell funny at all. But I don't go a-accusing them of trolling at every turn.

Bevis and Butthead - Not funny. King of the Hill - Funny. IMHO, of course.

Two humble reasons I kept coming back: 1. I miss my ole cyber friends; we go way back to them good ole JSO days. And 2, this is the only Packer forum in cyberspace that allows uncensored swearing. The word "FUCK" has got the be the greatest word in linguistics.

All in all, as Rodgers likes to spell: R-E-L-A-X. Relax. I am sure Madtown will send me back into exile once the season ends. If he doesn't? I promise I will self-ban if Hyde catches more picks than Josh Sitton this season.

Rat Starter
    Jennifer lawrence is a hag

And WAY overrated as an actress imo
    Red, stop watching Hunger Games, and go watch something like Silver Linings Playbook. I do like Hungers games b/c of its revolutionary agenda, and Lawrence herself. Silver Linings, toward the end, it turns into a chick flick, but Jennifer Lawrence's acting in the film is splendid. That's why she won an Oscar for the role.

Rat Starter

I think JSO posted Capers' explanation in one of their blogs the day after the game.

Shields is playing well and he's NOT overpaid, imho. In another thread, you said that House is worth 6M/yr to some teams. Shields is way better than House. Shields probably would start for most NFL teams. House, maybe 3 or 4 other teams.

I think JSO posted Capers' explanation in one of their blogs the day after the game.

Shields is playing well and he's NOT overpaid, imho. In another thread, you said that House is worth 6M/yr to some teams. Shields is way better than House. Shields probably would start for most NFL teams. House, maybe 3 or 4 other teams.
    I don't believe I said House is worth $6M, I believe I said he might get $6M. There is a difference. I also said that I don't think the Packers will pay him that much. I normally talk about what a player might receive, not what he is worth, because I have no idea what any player is really worth. Because of circumstances on a particular team, a player might get a much larger contract from one team than what most teams would pay him. Does that make him "worth" the higher contract? In that thread, I think I also said that a team without a lot of large contracts and a need at CB could easily decide to give the $ to House to be their starter.

I think Shields is an example of that. GB really needed to keep him at the time. Hawk's last contract when negotiated was, too. Probably TJ Lang, too. With the state of the Packer's O-line at the time, they really needed to keep Lang, and since they had the ability to do it under the cap, they probably paid him more than most teams might have been willing to at that time. I think it can be argued that the same thing happened with Finley, although on a short contract the concept of a player's "worth" can be skewed. Flynn's contract with Seattle is another example. I know Clay Matthews is worth $2M/year, but is he worth more than $13M? Is he worth almost 10% more than any other LB in average salary just because GB paid him that much? I doubt it, although he might have had more takers at that amount than just GB.

Even if you believe Shields is "way better", the difference between $10M/yr and $6M/yr is quite a bit. Shields average salary is the 6th highest among CBs on this years' list. Something around a $6M average would be around 18th on this year's list, probably a few notches lower for next year, when negotiated. A team identifying House to be a starter for them should be willing to pay that, and I think he has a decent chance of finding that type of team.

Blog Entries
    We all knew it was you, Tanky.

Why is it you are banned from all these Packer forums again?

Foolish comments meant only to disrupt or being a potty mouth?

Yeah, go over to Striker's forum, there at least a dozen guys over there that hate your guts.

Let's leave the question to that voice of reason, Pugger. She usually has the right idea when the rest of us get too full of testosterone. Wadda say Pug, ban Tanky or hang him?

I can't get worked up about Tank. I'm starting a committee to ban Pugger. Everybody needs a cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I can't get worked up about Tank. I'm starting a committee to ban Pugger. Everybody needs a cause.

Why me??? You got something against women like tank does?

Red, stop watching Hunger Games, and go watch something like Silver Linings Playbook. I do like Hungers games b/c of its revolutionary agenda, and Lawrence herself. Silver Linings, toward the end, it turns into a chick flick, but Jennifer Lawrence's acting in the film is splendid. That's why she won an Oscar for the role.
    Saw it. Wasnt impressed with her in that either. She has no clue how to show emotion on screen

And looks wise. I give her a 5 maybe 6 out of ten

Even her leaked nude pics dont do anything for me

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Saw it. Wasnt impressed with her in that either. She has no clue how to show emotion on screen

And looks wise. I give her a 5 maybe 6 out of ten

Even her leaked nude pics dont do anything for me
    I've got to agree. She's better at acting than she is in the looks department but that's not saying a ton. 5 or 6 is harsh but definitely nothing special. I thought her best work was American Hustle.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Stubby D+

He has Rodgers and that gets him over, but he's done nothing in terms of scheme and playcalling to improve the running game. Last year, sans Rodgers, he incorporated more power running and the run game improved dramatically; now with Rodgers back, he's back to his same old 3 zone plays.

In the passing game he is still very good, but predictable - and his playcalling is entirely predictable.

Capers D

He's not calling nearly as much 2-4, thank God!!! But he does far too many unsound things, and players are out of position far too often - you guys all like to blame the players, but more than anything - that's coaching. Don't think we can win another SB as long as Capers is our DC - 2010 was a fluke. A perfect storm of Capers playing with guys he inherited, and our opponents being flawed enough for us to get through. Unfortunately, solid, well-built teams stand in our way now, and we can't compete with them b/c of Capers and his philosophies.

Offense C

We're 19th in yds, 26th in TOP, 6th in scoring. It's all about Rodgers and the WR's. Our TE's are junk, our OL is below average. Lacy is a stud, but unless Stubby gets his head out of his ass and begins to incorporate more power running plays, Lacy won't be much of a factor.

It's all about Rodgers.

Defense D-

We're 26th in yds allowed, 23rd in scoring defense, and dead last in rushing defense at 153.5 yds/game - on a pace to give up more that 2400 yds rushing!!! WOW, just WOW!!!

I like a lot of the players, but we're simply too small and undermanned up front now. Capers is running more Elephant than anything else it looks like, but we really don't have the DL to run that full-time, just as we didn't have the LB's to run the 2-4 full-time. Capers simply can't help himself - he seems incapable of using the personnel he has to the best of their ability.

Our ILB's are complete junk. Missed tackles, bad angles, late to react in coverage... on and on. Hard to run a LB dominant scheme when your LB's suck. The back end has been cleaned up for the most part, but we're still soft, and poor tackling, while not an epidemic like years past, is still an issue.

The Packers have absolutely no identity on defense, and their preference to play as small as possible, concede the run, and inability to make adjustments spells disaster in the long run.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We should make the playoffs, but this team is still flawed in the same ways it has been in the past 3-4 years. They've made some changes on defense, but the same flawed philosophies, and flawed coaching stayed in place - and that is evident on the field. You can't give up 150+ yds/game on the ground and hold out any hope of winning a SB... not unless you get insanely lucky.

And Stubby's stubbornness with respect to his anemic running game is going to cost us against the big boys. He can get away his pitter-patter running game against weak sisters, but against the tough, disciplined defenses we will likely see in the playoffs - we're not going anywhere unless Stubby gets his head out of his ass and makes the necessary adjustments.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Bottom line is - I don't see us having the right formula to win a SB this year. We'll make the playoffs, and Rodgers gives us a fighting chance against anyone, but realistically we just don't have the right pieces in place. Philosophically, we're simply too flawed.
    wist

I think Wist has pretty much summed it up. I disagree with his point the horses aren't there I think they are (with the exception of IlBs) I just think the coaches aren't maximizing the players' potential/putting them in a place to succeed.

Either playoff success this year or heads should roll, which should have happened last off season.

Beating the same dead horses year in and year out is SO tiresome. It really makes discussions here not much fun.
    Last edited by George Cumby; 10-31-2014 at 03:07 PM.