Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: McGinn: Hawk, Epitome of Mediocrity

Rat Starter

McGinn: Hawk, Epitome of Mediocrity

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...280436312.html

I could not agree more with McGinn.

I was just wondering why the Packers are having problems stopping the run up the middle, so with no date tonight, I went and rewatch a few "Shortcuts" of Packers victories this season (never record loses; too depressing). Shortcuts are where you can watch an entire game in 30 minutes

Hawk just can't shed blocks. Time and time again, teams ran at Hawk. Time and time again, an offensive lineman swallowed Hawk like a hawk swallowing a sparrow. A guy like Urlacher would've seen it coming a mile away and shot through a gap and tackle the runner for -5 before a lineman even got off his fat ass.

There's nothing to talk about Hawk's coverage ability. He sucks in coverage. Period.

Hawk, in his prime, was average at best. Now he has lost a step. The Packers need 2 new starting ILB, imho.
    Last edited by Tyrion Lannister; 10-26-2014 at 12:22 AM.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Hawk's problem is that he is so assignment sure that he actually initiates the guy on the offense who is supposed to block him because "he's supposed to block me" thinks Hawk. I've actually seen plays where Hawk was going to be right where the RB is and instead of breaking down and attacking the RB he dove at the lineman's knees that was supposed to block him and took himself out of the play. Time and time again, I've seen Hawk take on a blocker like he was on offense. It's like he doesn't understand that he is supposed to shed the block and tackle the RB.

We definitely need upgrades at both ILB positions, but of course 1265 doesn't agree.

I reluctantly signed off on the Hawk pick b/c I figured he at least wouldn't be a bust, but he's underperformed even what I expected. Most Packerrats expected he'd be a probowler, but I just didn't see it. He had great stats in college, but when I watched him in college he didn't look dynamic at all. He garbaged into sacks, and he looked average in every way to me - he's proven to be just that as a pro.

I wanted Vernon Davis or Ngata in that draft as I remember, and both have been much better than Hawk. Hawk hasn't been a bust per se, but you need to get more out of a #5 pick. Hopefully both he and Brad Jones will be gone next year, and we can start over at ILB.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    We definitely need upgrades at both ILB positions, but of course 1265 doesn't agree.

I reluctantly signed off on the Hawk pick b/c I figured he at least wouldn't be a bust, but he's underperformed even what I expected. Most Packerrats expected he'd be a probowler, but I just didn't see it. He had great stats in college, but when I watched him in college he didn't look dynamic at all. He garbaged into sacks, and he looked average in every way to me - he's proven to be just that as a pro.

I wanted Vernon Davis or Ngata in that draft as I remember, and both have been much better than Hawk. Hawk hasn't been a bust per se, but you need to get more out of a #5 pick. Hopefully both he and Brad Jones will be gone next year, and we can start over at ILB.

Uh, even morose McGinn understands that the Packer execs know an upgrade at ILB is needed - both Shazier and Mosely are mentioned in the article. Your insistence that somehow the Packer front office walks around saying "yeah, we're happy to be mediocre on defense" is not only preposterous but takes away from some of the decent points you try to make.

I think the front office understands Hawk's value and his limitations, and I don't think if they had a chance they'd somehow pass on the opportunity to put a better player than he is in that spot. They've been spending their draft resources on other areas, though sadly the last few first rounders have not played up to what I'd consider a first-round status.

But any knucklehead could write an article lamenting a weak position on a football team, and point out examples of players from other teams that are way better.

But every team's resources are limited, so it's really not very helpful to say that the Packers, or any team, shoulda coulda got these other players. Sure, but if they'd, say, traded up to get Shazier or Mosely, there'd be no Clinton-Dix.

No, the Packer inside linebackers aren't very good. But I highly doubt that the Packer front office is content and happy and wouldn't want anyone else.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

And here we all are talking about how we needed to "draft" an ILB in order to upgrade the position

Like there are no other means available to us to upgrade the position

Btw. We are currently sitting on almost 8 million in free cap space

Yup. Mediocre but always available. Not exactly cutting edge journalism, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    And here we all are talking about how we needed to "draft" an ILB in order to upgrade the position

Like there are no other means available to us to upgrade the position

Btw. We are currently sitting on almost 8 million in free cap space

Okay, Red. Give us the names of the players this past offseason you'd have signed.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...280436312.html

I could not agree more with McGinn.

I was just wondering why the Packers are having problems stopping the run up the middle, so with no date tonight, I went and rewatch a few "Shortcuts" of Packers victories this season (never record loses; too depressing). Shortcuts are where you can watch an entire game in 30 minutes

Hawk just can't shed blocks. Time and time again, teams ran at Hawk. Time and time again, an offensive lineman swallowed Hawk like a hawk swallowing a sparrow. A guy like Urlacher would've seen it coming a mile away and shot through a gap and tackle the runner for -5 before a lineman even got off his fat ass.

There's nothing to talk about Hawk's coverage ability. He sucks in coverage. Period.

Hawk, in his prime, was average at best. Now he has lost a step. The Packers need 2 new starting ILB, imho.
    We all knew it was you Tank, when you first signed on here.

Stay within yer little confines or you'll be blown outta here like a watermelon seed.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    When Brad Jones wore the communication helmet, he played every down. Now that Hawk wears it, he plays every down. So your two weakest links play every down. Why? Now we're set to play a team with the best tight end in football. I guarantee NO will find a way to isolate him over the middle on the slowest LB in football...who will ALWAYS be in the game.

There is a lot about this modern game I don't understand.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Apparently the smartest players are also some of the slowest and least athletic.

Can't they put Hawk on the sideline and let him wear the headset, then scream shit out to the guys on the field?

But wait...who would play? Barrington and Lattimore? That'd be spooky in its own right.

I sure hope there's some college kid out there who plays inside linebacker in a 3-4 who is waiting to be a Packer.

And speaking of, I wonder if Carl Bradford is progressing at all.

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Okay, Red. Give us the names of the players this past offseason you'd have signed.
    I have no clue, but seeings how we have two of the worst ILBs in the game, it couldnt have been to hard to find an upgrade.

Im not saying we had to sign a kuecley or a ray lewis, but trying to bring in competion or someone other then the crap we had would have been nice.

Mcginn justbnamed a handfullnof players that i have never heard of, who are all (in his opinion) playing better then our two.

We didnt even try to upgrade the position, the one guy they drafted they kept saying was an OLB and nothing more. That leads me to believe the coaches and GM think we are "just fine" at that position

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    I think Hawk had his best season ever last year, if my memory can be trusted. It is possible that this season is start of decline, not sure. Packers won Super Bowl with in 2010, and he was generally worse as a young player, IMO.

Hawk is a JAG this year, sure, it would be nice to upgrade him.

Or how bout "gasp" trading one of our precious draft picks for one

Im sure one of our 2 3rd round picks we threw away in the last draft could have been swungfor an upgrade

Dallas took a flyer on Rolando McClain. They got him for next to nothing. Worked out pretty good.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Dallas took a flyer on Rolando McClain. They got him for next to nothing. Worked out pretty good.
    That whole defense is a flyer that worked out well. Everyone thought the only improvement would be that they might not be as historically bad as last year.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Well, give me 1/100 of what Hawk makes and I'll suit up...

Without B.J. Raji and Ryan Pickett to keep blockers off, Hawk's inability to get off blocks and attack ball carriers has become magnified. The Packers can't stop the run.
    Word salad. The Packers were last in the League in risk defense WITH those guys. Their absence may have changed the problem Hawk faces, but the result is still bad run defense.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Does anyone want to design the perfect ILB for TT? Size? Speed? Smarts? Toughness? Quick?

I'd put the premium on speed and smarts. Hawk apparently is one out of two.

ILB isn't the only mediocre position. Clay is often injured, over rated, and over payed. That reeks of mediocrity, just with prettier hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    ILB isn't the only mediocre position. Clay is often injured, over rated, and over payed. That reeks of mediocrity, just with prettier hair.
    The difference is that clay flashes freak awesomeness

Hawk flashes solidness