Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Midseason Night Grades

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Do you truly believe our offense is just middling?
    No, I think we're an upper tier offense, of course. Rodgers is elite, and our WR's are very good.

That said, we've seen good defenses shut us down; hence, the comment that IF we are middling along in a game - we're in trouble b/c our defense can't carry the day. Is this news to any of you??
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    It was in the last game, an,d thats what wist is trying to say, and i agree with him.

If our offense isnt playing lights out, our defense isnt good enough (consistantly) to win us those games

Our defense is the anchor holding this team down, and it has been for awhile. Just why this defense is a giant rusting heap of scrap metal pulling us down into the abyss is still up for much debate
    IOC

This has been a funny season so far. Who foresaw SF and the seachickens losing to the Rams? Or the Bolts getting shut out by the Dolphins? I was surprised to see NE manhandle the donkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    IOC

This has been a funny season so far. Who foresaw SF and the seachickens losing to the Rams? Or the Bolts getting shut out by the Dolphins? I was surprised to see NE manhandle the donkeys.
    No team stayed undefeated for very long either, Pugger.

Parity is having its way.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I am amused by both the Rob Ryan love and the Packers' offense is middling theorizing.

Both opinions hinge on one game with a hobbled Rodgers. If that wasn't the case, the analysis is useless.
    However, I think the in-depth analysis that concludes "the Packer defense pretty much sucks" is spot-on.

Sure, they've had moments. But look at where that run defense is ranked. And how are they ranked now in points-per-game?

I just have no faith in this defense, whatsoever.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    However, I think the in-depth analysis that concludes "the Packer defense pretty much sucks" is spot-on.

Sure, they've had moments. But look at where that run defense is ranked. And how are they ranked now in points-per-game?

I'm not sure what to make of this defense. To answer your question, they're now ranked 19th in PPG. 79 of the 191 points they've given up were in their 1st and 8th games. In between, they had a 6 game stretch where they gave up just 18.5 PPG. That would be 3rd in the NFL if you did it all year. So this team has shown signs of being able to play decent defense, but they've also had a couple of major lapses. Halfway through the season, I'm just not sure what to expect from this defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post

I agree. However, both the Cowboys and Saints have hired Rob Ryan to fix the same problem on each of their teams. It hasn't worked out yet.

I still think there is a talent mismatch on the D side of the ball, though they are trying to address it. ILB is still a gaping hole at times and the front three (or four) don't help the weaknesses of the middle 4 (or 2).

However, I still agree with Patler that under the new practice restraints and McCarthy's careful control of team regime, working completely hand in glove is more important than ever. When you had six weeks of camp with 4 weeks of 2 a day and a lot of trading, you could fix things on the fly. Now a days, esp with Thompson's go slow approach with FA, you need a year or more to get a fix in the pipeline.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I'm not sure what to make of this defense. To answer your question, they're now ranked 19th in PPG. 79 of the 191 points they've given up were in their 1st and 8th games. In between, they had a 6 game stretch where they gave up just 18.5 PPG. That would be 3rd in the NFL if you did it all year. So this team has shown signs of being able to play decent defense, but they've also had a couple of major lapses. Halfway through the season, I'm just not sure what to expect from this defense.
    Capers approach has proven vulnerable to a team that can really attack both on the ground and in the air. If they don't get a lead or turnovers, it can be a struggle choosing what to focus on.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Capers approach has proven vulnerable to a team that can really attack both on the ground and in the air. If they don't get a lead or turnovers, it can be a struggle choosing what to focus on.
    All that may be true, but I would argue that could be said of the vast majority of teams in the NFL. The NFL has made it exceedingly difficult for teams to consistently play good defense. Baltimore was looking good, but they've given up 70 in the last 2 weeks. Denver got torched by New England yesterday. Indy gave up 51 to Pittsburgh a week after shutting out Cincinnati. The Packers defense had 2 bad games in 2 of the toughest places to play in the NFL. I think the jury is still out on whether this is one of the worst defenses in the NFL, or just another mediocre one.

Wilde on Packers reports of their own run defense.

I think the summary of this article should be: We have no idea how to fix it.

http://espnmilwaukee.com/common/page...7231&is_corp=1

Rat Starter
    Wilde on Packers reports of their own run defense.

I think the summary of this article should be: We have no idea how to fix it.

http://espnmilwaukee.com/common/page...7231&is_corp=1
    Despite not putting up pretty sack numbers, the Claymaker has been the Pack's best run defender thus far, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Despite not putting up pretty sack numbers, the Claymaker has been the Pack's best run defender thus far, imho.
    Then you haven't seen him getting murdering in overpursuit on misdirection. He also has trouble making reads when he is inside in that 4-3 Elephant front.

Rat Starter
    Then you haven't seen him getting murdering in overpursuit on misdirection. He also has trouble making reads when he is inside in that 4-3 Elephant front.
    With the DTs not being able to create penetration in the middle of the field and the ILBers not being able to shed blocks worth a fuck, the Claymaker had to be overaggressive.

Claymaker is second on the team in tackle for loss. He's the Pack's best run defender on an awful run defense.

With the DTs not being able to create penetration in the middle of the field and the ILBers not being able to shed blocks worth a fuck, the Claymaker had to be overaggressive.

Claymaker is second on the team in tackle for loss. He's the Pack's best run defender on an awful run defense.
    Being best on a terrible run D is faint praise. You don't need D line penetration when you are the Will in a 4-3 Under or the backside contain in a 3-4/2-4. His greatest strength is his initial burst and teams use that against him. And have been since the San Fran playoff game in San Fran.

That is one of the great fallacies in all team sports. Rarely is it advantageous for a player to weaken his performance of his responsibilities in an effort to make up for the deficiencies of players at other positions.