Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Adrian Peterson Suspended Rest of Year

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Adrian Peterson Suspended Rest of Year

Peterson is suspended until April 15th (earliest reinstatement).

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 16m16 minutes ago
    NFL announces Adrian Peterson suspended without pay the rest of the 2014 season http://wp.me/p14QSB-9Dkx

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 15m15 minutes ago
    NFL notes its domestic violence policy of 6 games for 1st offense w/escalating discipline if a minor involved. Considers a switch a weapon

without pay according to Twitter.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 7m7 minutes ago
    NFLPA says Peterson suspension will be appealed, starting the next wave of lawyers http://wp.me/p14QSB-9DkE

I think this will go past the appeal/arbitration process and head to court. NFLPA has a letter from the League that the time on the Commissioner's List would be considered time served. That makes this a 14 game suspension, 8 without pay plus a 4 month suspension running from Jan to April.

That is a lot to fit under "extenuating circumstances".
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Arif Hasan ‏@ArifHasanNFL 12m12 minutes ago
    The NFL statement is factually incorrect. States Peterson pled no contest to reckless assault of a child. Not what he pled no contest to.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 45s45 seconds ago
    DeMaurice Smith: NFL makes it up as they go along http://wp.me/p14QSB-9DkG

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    That should keep him out of the Packer game this weekend.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    That should keep him out of the Packer game this weekend.
    This will still be in the courts for the game next year as well.

Frankly, he's lucky he isn't behind bars.

The timing of the League's action is curious. Apparently, the arbitrator has not yet ruled on the NFLPA/Peterson's appeal to terminate the Commissioner's List designation.

That decision was expected early this week, Mort had it possibly being today:

http://deadspin.com/nfl-suspends-adr...son-1660048905

The players' union filed a grievance on Peterson's behalf, demanding his immediate reinstatement. After some false starts—Peterson skipped a hearing that he believed wasn't provided for in the CBA—the sides held a 30-minute conference call with an arbitrator yesterday. That arbitrator's decision was expected to come down as early as today. The NFL, it would appear, was unwilling to wait.
    Chris MortensenVerified account
    ‏@mortreport
    The arbitrator, Shyam Das, told the participating reps in the grievance that he would have a decision “quickly,” per sources

Shyam Das is famous for letting Braun off the hook because the urine sample collector followed his company guideline's for handling samples, not the letter of the MLB/MLBPA's agreement.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    The timing of the League's action is curious. Apparently, the arbitrator has not yet ruled on the NFLPA/Peterson's appeal to terminate the Commissioner's List designation.

That decision was expected early this week, Mort had it possibly being today:

http://deadspin.com/nfl-suspends-adr...son-1660048905

Chris MortensenVerified account
    ‏@mortreport
    The arbitrator, Shyam Das, told the participating reps in the grievance that he would have a decision “quickly,” per sources

Shyam Das is famous for letting Braun off the hook because the urine sample collector followed his company guideline's for handling samples, not the letter of the MLB/MLBPA's agreement.
    Just saw this at lunch on Sports Center. They were reporting that AP could be active for this weekends game.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Just saw this at lunch on Sports Center. They were reporting that AP could be active for this weekends game.
    Looks like AP is gonna be a no-go this season as Das has ruled in favor of the No Fun League. Many a-Peterson owners are swearing like Jay and Silent Bob.

I have no sympathy for Peterson after hearing about what he did to his kid. The NFL does seem to make stuff up as they go (although I don't understand the vitriol many people have for the league), but that could be attributed to uniquish cases (e.g. when was the last time we know of a story where the face of a franchise beat his child?).

Regardless, as a football fan, I just want him out of this weekend's game. As a father, I wish he'd gotten far more than a no contest plea/settlement for assumedly lots and lots of money and some community service.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 3h3 hours ago
    Source says arbitrator in Adrian Peterson case rules league can keep him on Commissioner Exempt list until appeal on suspension heard

Sounds like the can be on the list until the appeal. And since Goodell is the appeal, I predict he will be on the list after the appeal as well.

Screw AP. Fucking guy can rot.
    C.H.U.D.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/postev...ue-keep-quiet/

According to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, just one-quarter of the 1.3 million American women assaulted by an intimate partner each year report the attacks to the police. But the two wives interviewed for this article claimed the rate of reporting among NFL wives and girlfriends is much lower. They say the league has built a tight-knit culture, similar to a fraternity, with entrenched hierarchies and a fierce sense of loyalty among members. “You get brainwashed. It’s so ingrained that you protect the player, you just stay quiet. You learn your role is to be the supportive NFL wife,” says one of them, the onetime wife of a Saints player who asked to speak anonymously because her now ex-husband is still associated with the league. Otherwise, she says, “You’d cost him his job.”
    If the league is serious about ending domestic violence in its ranks, it must rehabilitate instead of punish, they say. Penalties should be less draconian, so wives don’t worry about ending their husbands’ careers or threatening their families’ livelihoods. “They use [the NFL's current policies] as leverage against you,” says the ex-wife of the Saints player. “There’s abuse on every team. Everybody knows, but you know not to tell.” Ultimately, she says, the case against Ray Rice has made the NFL less safe for women:

“You will hear of a wife murdered before you hear another one come forward.”
    In its quest to clear its name, the NFL again is acting in manner calculated only to burnish its own reputation, not help the victims. This is why Goodell and his platitudes, are useless.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    He beat his kid and now got beat by the NFL.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    He beat his kid and now got beat by the NFL.

He got what he deserved pretty much. That said, you and all fans better hope like hell this arbitrary commisioner's list bullshit doesn't push Sean Gilbert into the union drivers seat as his stated platform is to blow up the CBA and go to war with the NFL and Godell keeps handing him more and more ammunition.

It's quite possible he can get that CBA cancelled using the "collusion" provision since it's pretty clear that's what happened with Washington and Dallas.

And we, by our consumption, encourage it. Indeed, revel in it. We love a crushing hit, we revel in a dominating defense, which is comprised of large men doing violent things to one another. Could any of us turn that switch off easily given the conditions?

Plato or Socrates said something about balance in regards to the physical culture, too little emphasis left a man "indecently soft", too much lent itself to savagery.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    And we, by our consumption, encourage it. Indeed, revel in it. We love a crushing hit, we revel in a dominating defense, which is comprised of large men doing violent things to one another. Could any of us turn that switch off easily given the conditions?

Plato or Socrates said something about balance in regards to the physical culture, too little emphasis left a man "indecently soft", too much lent itself to savagery.
    You could say that about any commercial transaction. Same with family relationships and, as the story I just linked to reports, coworkers spouses.

As far as reveling in the violence, I think a lot of poor socialization could be remedied if you couldn't make sports your living (and sole occupation) starting at about age 14. Maybe younger.

This one might have gotten posted yesterday. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/18/sp...nytsports&_r=0

Incudes a story about Brandon Underwood and his wife (one report and recant of domestic assault and the famous WI Dells prostitutes). Packers seem to have had the good sense not to make it obvious where their loyalties lie. Marvin Lewis, in the other story, doesn't come off as good if you believe the wife involved.

Is it strange all these cases remind me of Henry VIII?

This is an awesome article:
    http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-feed/201...se-fiasco.html

"But Roger Goodell could give half a fuck about any sort of deal. Instead, after all the he's done to make the NFL look dumb, he again shat out his standard suspension communiqué from New York, complete with a public finger-wagging of the player involved, which reads exactly like a letter from a high school principal...
    "The difference in size and strength between you and the child is significant."
    Yes, thank you for that, Commish. How about you send your letter to Peterson and NO ONE ELSE, so that it doesn't read like you're sending him to the corner?"

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    I just want AP not to beat his children. This was a planned out attack on a fucking 4 year old! Sterling had to sell his team because he told his black girlfriend he didnt want her to bring black men to the game and sit in his seats...AP HIT A 4 YEAR OLD WITH A DAMN STICK!!! There is no defending him. The bullshit that he was raised that way hold ZERO water, I was raised that it was ok to smoke around children, have your kid stand up in the front seat while driving, ect and I know you dont do that now. I would say I hope he goes broke but he has what 7 kids and 7 families to support?

That all said he will do his time and when he is done I hope he learned something. He is an all world football player and an all world ass licker.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.