Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
Well, that's where this gets very dicey. Can you tell me the factual difference between "discipline" in this case and "purposeful hurting"?

Its mainly intent, is it not?

Dad doesn't use a paddle because it feels good. Peterson himself stated and texted to the Mother that the injuries were par for the course and would help the child remember.
Like I wrote in another post, I'm not a hotshot lawyer. I'm not even a lawyer of any kind. But I have learned a lot about the law from watching My Cousin Vinny and Law and Order: SVU. Well, not really. Lemme give it a try, anyway.

Discipline is a complex term in the eyes of the law, as is "corporal punishment."

For example, Chucky is a demon-child (he's actually a doll). When you hurt it, you do so purposefully. Your intent is to injure it, or better, terminate it.

I don't think AP intended to inflict injuries to his kid. An undisciplined person is one that is prone to making the same mistake(s) over and over again. AP disciplined the kid with a switch in hope that the discomfort would make him see the error of his ways. That is a form of corporal punishment. That's not so bad when you compare it to the shits in other part of the world. Wiki "Corporal punishment" for more info.