Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Adrian Peterson Suspended Rest of Year

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    I just want AP not to beat his children. This was a planned out attack on a fucking 4 year old! Sterling had to sell his team because he told his black girlfriend he didnt want her to bring black men to the game and sit in his seats...AP HIT A 4 YEAR OLD WITH A DAMN STICK!!! There is no defending him. The bullshit that he was raised that way hold ZERO water, I was raised that it was ok to smoke around children, have your kid stand up in the front seat while driving, ect and I know you dont do that now. I would say I hope he goes broke but he has what 7 kids and 7 families to support?

That all said he will do his time and when he is done I hope he learned something. He is an all world football player and an all world ass licker.
    Who defended him?

Tony, Deadspin said it better than I could:

"1. When talking or writing about the NFL's handling of the Adrian Peterson case, it's difficult to separate discussion of the vicious cruelty of Peterson's actions from the fairness of the NFL's adjudicatory process. You can wholeheartedly believe Peterson belongs in jail, or in hell, and believe at the same time that the NFL's power is dangerously centralized and wielded capriciously for labor-crushing ends.

2. The NFL recognizes that difficulty, and counts on the inability of the public to divorce the two concepts. It's one thing when the hammer falls on a guy who smoked weed one too many times, but the league knows that no right-thinking person is going to go to bat for Peterson, who stuck leaves in his four-year-old's mouth and whipped his testicles with a stick. It's the boiling frog story, and you tend not to notice the extremity of the heat when it's scalding someone who morally deserves it. But once you've mentally excused the NFL's actions under circumstances as extreme as child abuse, you empower the NFL to use that muscle memory for the next set of circumstances, ones which may not be so extreme."

Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    I just want AP not to beat his children. This was a planned out attack on a fucking 4 year old! Sterling had to sell his team because he told his black girlfriend he didnt want her to bring black men to the game and sit in his seats...AP HIT A 4 YEAR OLD WITH A DAMN STICK!!! There is no defending him. The bullshit that he was raised that way hold ZERO water, I was raised that it was ok to smoke around children, have your kid stand up in the front seat while driving, ect and I know you dont do that now. I would say I hope he goes broke but he has what 7 kids and 7 families to support?

That all said he will do his time and when he is done I hope he learned something. He is an all world football player and an all world ass licker.
    I'm no hotshot lawyer, but I think there's a difference between "attacking" a child and "disciplining" a child.

AP did not flat out attack his kid for no apparent reason. The 4 year old, I believe, was mistreating his other kid. AP decided to "discipline" the misbehaving kid using a method he thought was right.

Corporal punishment is a subjective matter. Not saying hitting your kid with a switch is ok, but there are worse forms of corporal punishments out there in this shitty world.

I dunno, maybe if I weren't such a loser and had planted my seed in a hot chick, I would be more disgusted with this whole AP ordeal. Just glad AP won't be punishing my beloved Pack on Sunday.
    Last edited by Tyrion Lannister; 11-19-2014 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    I'm no hotshot lawyer, but I think there's a difference between "attacking" a child and "disciplining" a child.

AP did not flat out attack his kid for no apparent reason. The 4 year, I believe, was mistreating his other kid. AP decided to "discipline" the misbehaving kid using a method he thought was right.

Corporal punishment is a subjective matter. Not saying hitting your kid with a switch is ok, but there are worse forms of corporal punishments out there in this shitty world.

I dunno, maybe if I weren't such a loser and had planted my seed in a hot chick, I would be more disgusted with this whole AP ordeal. Just glad AP won't be punishing my beloved Pack on Sunday.
    This was deconstructed at great length earlier in the original AP thread; the eventual consensus being that a 200+ pound man beating hell out of a four year old was egregious and out of line. Obviously, we are all entitled to disagree even you, you incorrigible Troll.

Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post

1. You can wholeheartedly believe Peterson belongs in jail, or in hell
    C'mon now, AP "disciplined" his kid with a switch. He was punishing his kid in attempt to teach him the meaning of right and wrong; not purposefully hurting the kid. And he deserves to go to hell, if there is one?

Wanna know why I'd rather be ignorant than read the news? Too depressing. Every time I pick up a paper, there are stories about parents molesting their kids, gassing them to death and leaving them in their cars on a hot day. Now those type of parents deserve to be in hell (if there is one).

This whole AP ordeal is blown out of proportion, IMHO.

C'mon now, AP "disciplined" his kid with a switch. He was punishing his kid in attempt to teach him the meaning of right and wrong; not purposefully hurting the kid. And he deserves to go to hell, if there is one?

Wanna know why I'd rather be ignorant than read the news? Too depressing. Every time I pick up a paper, there are stories about parents molesting their kids, gassing them to death and leaving them in their cars on a hot day. Now those type of parents deserve to be in hell (if there is one).

This whole AP ordeal is blown out of proportion, IMHO.
    Well, that's where this gets very dicey. Can you tell me the factual difference between "discipline" in this case and "purposeful hurting"?

Its mainly intent, is it not?

Dad doesn't use a paddle because it feels good. Peterson himself stated and texted to the Mother that the injuries were par for the course and would help the child remember.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

There are degrees to everything. I talked about this with a friend of mine from the South. He said his father also used a switch during discipline, but only when he and his siblings were wearing pants, and only a couple swats with the switch (which they also had to select themselves). He said the switch stung like heck, but didn't recall it ever leaving a mark.

Looking at the photos of the welts on his child, it sure appears that AP's discipline was over the top in both intensity and duration, especially when you consider the age of the child.

Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Well, that's where this gets very dicey. Can you tell me the factual difference between "discipline" in this case and "purposeful hurting"?

Its mainly intent, is it not?

Dad doesn't use a paddle because it feels good. Peterson himself stated and texted to the Mother that the injuries were par for the course and would help the child remember.
    Like I wrote in another post, I'm not a hotshot lawyer. I'm not even a lawyer of any kind. But I have learned a lot about the law from watching My Cousin Vinny and Law and Order: SVU. Well, not really. Lemme give it a try, anyway.

Discipline is a complex term in the eyes of the law, as is "corporal punishment."

For example, Chucky is a demon-child (he's actually a doll). When you hurt it, you do so purposefully. Your intent is to injure it, or better, terminate it.

I don't think AP intended to inflict injuries to his kid. An undisciplined person is one that is prone to making the same mistake(s) over and over again. AP disciplined the kid with a switch in hope that the discomfort would make him see the error of his ways. That is a form of corporal punishment. That's not so bad when you compare it to the shits in other part of the world. Wiki "Corporal punishment" for more info.

Like I wrote in another post, I'm not a hotshot lawyer. I'm not even a lawyer of any kind. But I have learned a lot about the law from watching My Cousin Vinny and Law and Order: SVU. Well, not really. Lemme give it a try, anyway.

Discipline is a complex term in the eyes of the law, as is "corporal punishment."

For example, Chucky is a demon-child (he's actually a doll). When you hurt it, you do so purposefully. Your intent is to injure it, or better, terminate it.

I don't think AP intended to inflict injuries to his kid. An undisciplined person is one that is prone to making the same mistake(s) over and over again. AP disciplined the kid with a switch in hope that the discomfort would make him see the error of his ways. That is a form of corporal punishment. That's not so bad when you compare it to the shits in other part of the world. Wiki "Corporal punishment" for more info.
    Pretend he did it to you. Do you care what the reasoning behind it is? Is he a beautiful misunderstood flower or someone who committed assault on a 4 year old?

It's not assualt. Peterson assaulting a 4 year old does not end with the kid walking afterward. It's abuse.

Under Texas law, it was misdemeanor reckless assault.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/04/justic...peterson-plea/
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

"An undisciplined person is one that is prone to making the same mistake(s) over and over again."

Who are we talking about? Peterson, the 4-year old or you? I'm a bit unclear.

I am, however, clear on the following: if you don't know the law, if you don't follow current events, if you don't bother to review the earlier discussion, if you don't have children of your own about whom you have to make disciplinary decisions, you might want to hold your own counsel.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    He acted like a dipshit and beat his child. He left bloody welts! Way to "teach" your kid to not roughhouse with another kid while playing video games you totally should know better at 4 years old...

Hey a year is fine for punishment and he needs to realize that he did wrong and obviously this moron doesn't think he did anything wrong. Wonder if he felt like a real man beating the crap out of his 4 year old?
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I think one can think that both what AP did is wrong and also that how the NFL has handled this is wrong. I'd also throw in that the NFLPA pretty much abandoned AP, so they did wrong as well.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post

"1. When talking or writing about the NFL's handling of the Adrian Peterson case, it's difficult to separate discussion of the vicious cruelty of Peterson's actions from the fairness of the NFL's adjudicatory process. You can wholeheartedly believe Peterson belongs in jail, or in hell, and believe at the same time that the NFL's power is dangerously centralized and wielded capriciously for labor-crushing ends.

2. The NFL recognizes that difficulty, and counts on the inability of the public to divorce the two concepts. It's one thing when the hammer falls on a guy who smoked weed one too many times, but the league knows that no right-thinking person is going to go to bat for Peterson, who stuck leaves in his four-year-old's mouth and whipped his testicles with a stick. It's the boiling frog story, and you tend not to notice the extremity of the heat when it's scalding someone who morally deserves it. But once you've mentally excused the NFL's actions under circumstances as extreme as child abuse, you empower the NFL to use that muscle memory for the next set of circumstances, ones which may not be so extreme."
    Very well put.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Suspension from the NFL is a PR and propriety issue for the NFL and to be argued between the NFL, the NFLPA and peterman's lawyers. Peterman's behavior merits a penalty somewhere between fining him some dollars and banning him from the league for life. Most agree the NFL can't just let it slide. The problem with the NFL is that they don't seem to have a consistent and consistently applied set of rules/laws, which leads to a considerable amount of chaos, distrust, and then justifiable and outright hatred towards owners, administrators and presidents (of leagues).
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

AP shows zero contrition or regret for his act (according to Goodell and various columnists.)

I don't see how the public accepts him back.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    AP shows zero contrition or regret for his act (according to Goodell and various columnists.)

Somebody just married Charles Manson. Anything is possible
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Somebody just married Charles Manson. Anything is possible
    all the good ones are taken

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post

This just can't be a major piece of the standard. Everyone from the televangelist caught with his hand in the cookie jar (or his hand in Cookie) to C-list reality TV celebrities can make a passable go at contrition. Its next to meaningless.

They need to be removed from the game for a time, must have to undergo counseling and the family must be offered counseling separate from the offender. A fine makes sense, but it can't simply be the game checks missed because that creates a disincentive to report. And until it gets reported regularly, it will be hard to estimate and combat successfully.

Maybe put the fines in a fund for families that need support or for supporting community response.

Roger is like a dog with his teeth on a bone. He is convinced he was born to do this. Despite the catastrophe of the Rice situation, he still doesn't understand what he got wrong. They keep this legacy around long enough and he will do serious harm to the game.