Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26

Thread: Official Packers go Back to School Game Day Thread - Packers at Vikings Nov 23rd

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Brady is like every other QB and doesn't like to get hit. His lack of mobility could be an issue for NE on Sunday if we bring pressure.
    As odd as this sounds, Datone Jones's continuing health problems could pose the biggest threat to this team's chances. He doesn't have a tone of sacks, but when healthy he pressures QB's pretty well. Brady is about as mobile as a desk top computer, which is to the Packers' advantage, but they need to get pressure with four coming. The Packer secondary is pretty good, but if Brady has time, well, they're screwed - any defensive backfield will be against Brady if he's got time.

If the Patriots play two-high safety on defense - and why wouldn't they, why wouldn't anyone? - this will force the Packers to use the ground game. Starks seems buried in the doghouse, so maybe this is the time to break out DuJuan Harris as a change-up to Lacey. I don't think the Patriots' defensive line is anything to write home about, so I believe the Packers, with patience, can have a productive offensive game, though I also think this depends on Rodgers/MM not getting impatient and trying to throw to Cobb/Nelson into the teeth of the two-deep shell.

To me, the front seven of the Packers is key to their defensive success, and patience on offense is key to the offensive success.

We shall see how they do.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    OK, so he's not a snappy dresser. A red hanky with a green jacket? What is this, Christmas? Still, Belicheat always dresses like a bum, so there.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post

If the Patriots play two-high safety on defense - and why wouldn't they, why wouldn't anyone?
    NE has the defensive backfield to NOT play two-high. They can shut down Cobb with Revis and double Nelson, and that all but eliminates GB's passing game.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

This is why it will be crucial for Rodgers to be patient, and to get to know Quarless, Adams, Rodgers, and Lacey. Hey, maybe John Kuhn could catch a pass!
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    NE has the defensive backfield to NOT play two-high. They can shut down Cobb with Revis and double Nelson, and that all but eliminates GB's passing game.
    I meant to say GB's vertical or deep passing game. They still can throw it all over the field, but they gotta rely on the second tier guys. You can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Hey, maybe John Kuhn could catch a pass!
    yeah

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    If we were on the road I'd expect to get blown out but at home both our lines play 10x better and we're really a different team. I have a feeling Rodgers wants this win bad. He's never beaten the Pats and Brady is his closest competition for the MVP this season.
    Plus, the Pats bandwagon overfloweth. They're widely seen as the best right now and I have no doubt Rodgers is getting ready to put on a show.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Most teams that think this usually pay for it in blood...

F this. Stubby almost punked Belicheat in 2010 with Matt 'noodle arm' Flynn. Stubby is an under-appreciated offensive mind and leader of men. I hope the Packers win just to stick it to all the Belicheat scrotum lappers like you.
    Yeah. For all of the pub that the 'cheat always gets for getting everything he has out of his team, M3 has been right up there doing the same.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Yeah.

Most teams that think this usually pay for it in blood...
    Precisely. the guy single covering Jordy for the Eagles was no slouch, he was always close. Just not close enough.

Will be interesting to see what Bill decides to do regarding safeties. Everyone talks about his current game plan like he has done it forever and was way ahead of everyone else on it. But his true genius is switching it up to do what is necessary.

My Belichick D coordinator envy revolves entirely around his ability to switch it up in the game and come out ahead and not confused. Of course, this is after 5 years in the wilderness with a terrible D.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Precisely.
    Precisely what? You're responding to dYoop misrepresenting my post. Yes, teams with no pass rush get smoked playing single high safety - or two high safety for that matter. I'm guessing Belicheat will run a version of what he used in Indy - take out Cobb with Revis and double Jordy. Rodgers has such tunnel vision for Nelson, that he takes extra time - precious seconds and fractions of seconds to come off him, so that if the Pats have reasonable pressure, he gets sacked or has to throw it away. Will be interesting to see which team is more disciplined and patient. Will Cheat be patient to stick to the scheme even if Rodgers is prepped to go elsewhere with the rock, and will Rodgers actually be more patient to go to other receivers. If so, will they be on the same page (esp. D. Adams).

Precisely what? You're responding to dYoop misrepresenting my post. Yes, teams with no pass rush get smoked playing single high safety - or two high safety for that matter. I'm guessing Belicheat will run a version of what he used in Indy - take out Cobb with Revis and double Jordy. Rodgers has such tunnel vision for Nelson, that he takes extra time - precious seconds and fractions of seconds to come off him, so that if the Pats have reasonable pressure, he gets sacked or has to throw it away. Will be interesting to see which team is more disciplined and patient. Will Cheat be patient to stick to the scheme even if Rodgers is prepped to go elsewhere with the rock, and will Rodgers actually be more patient to go to other receivers. If so, will they be on the same page (esp. D. Adams).

This is it, to me. If Rodgers doesn't force the issue to Cobb/Nelson and is willing to throw to Quarless, Adams, Rodgers, Lacey (maybe even Kuhn?), then this Packer team can cover the ground, albeit more slowly than they'd like, and score enough to win - if the Packer D can get after Brady and shut down the run.

Big ifs, I know. But patience for Rodgers is key. And not patience as in waiting forever for Nelson or Cobb, but patience in settling for shorter gains to other receivers.

KYPack

Precisely in that the only successful use of single high safety has been on the road in Seattle and possibly some in New Orleans. I'll let Yoop speak for himself on the possible misrepresentation in his response.

I am not arguing your basic thrust that Belichick has the horses to play single high very effectively against good offenses. But I am saying the Packers have torched good backfields in that coverage. And its especially true at home. So even if Bill sticks with it, I think the Packers might go over the top of it anyway and be successful.

Your point about other O options being underutilized is a good one. It can bite them when they need to throw short, though Eddie Lacy channeling Ahman Green on screens has helped.

As for pass rush, NE has lost two good guys (Jones and someone) and has young ones filling key roles. New England has completed inverted their play, early it was the D carrying the team and the O struggling mightily. Now its the reverse.

The Packers will score points. I am worried about the other side of the ball but expect better at home.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I am not arguing your basic thrust that Belichick has the horses to play single high very effectively against good offenses. But I am saying the Packers have torched good backfields in that coverage.
    But I'm not saying Cheat is gonna play single high safety.

New Orleans is questionable. The Packers weren't punting until Rodgers tweaked the hammy.

I know ayn qualified it with something about Belichick's personnel but that thought has been thunk before and turned into a deluge for Green Bay's offense against good defenses... See Houston and Philly games against Rodgers.

Rand might be right that Belichick has the horses to pull off not playing 2 high, but my point is that Rodgers is not afraid to go over top even on good secondaries if they're not in that 2 deep.

Rand might be right that Belichick has the horses to pull off not playing 2 high, but my point is that Rodgers is not afraid to go over top even on good secondaries if they're not in that 2 deep.
    I hope so, but if what I suspect is true, he's either gonna have to throw to Cobb over Revis or to Nelson doubled up. Cheat takes away your number one option. And I think he has the ability to take away Cobb and Nelson. Packers have to be prepared to look elsewhere. Might help if Rodgers just looks off Nelson and goes to Q, Lacey Rodgers or Adams as his first read and/or running the ball. But Stubby is Stubby for a reason. If they take too long to adjust they could find themselves down two scores in a hurry.

But I'm not saying Cheat is gonna play single high safety.
    I didn't mean to imply you had made that prediction. I think we are saying the same thing. Regardless of two deep or single-high, the Packers will need to exploit the whole field because BB, no matter the gameplan, is not going to let the Packers take the lid off his defense to score 50.

wist doesn't like it but BB will attempt to make the Packers go down the field in chunks of 5 yards.