Thread: Official Packers vs. Patriots Discussion Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Keep up. Second Chicago game, Perry at OLB in 2-4. Bears went 24-55 in run game.
    I like Wist a lot, but this obsession with 2-4 is over the top. I got tired of this and left. I have analysis somewhere of several more games showing Capers adjusts the 2-4 to essentially a 3-3 for run heavy teams, and runs the 2-4 primarily on (predicted) passing downs (last year). Chicago obviously can do both, so Capers went with a 2-4 that included Perry.

I think that Capers took the new pass interference rules to heart and that the 2-4 this year was an acknowledgement that team were going to be pass-happy. results have been mixed. Obviously Seattle is getting away with a lot of contact and in the playoffs, like last year against SF, the refs are gonna swallow their whistles.

Unfortunately for the Packers, Capers' schemes do require the flexibility of a lot of specialized players, and if guys get hurt, he becomes limited very quickly. It's not like injuries don't hurt other teams (see SF for example), it's just missing a guy here or there can totally kill Dom's schemes (See at Saints, for example).
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I like Wist a lot, but this obsession with 2-4 is over the top. I got tired of this and left. I have analysis somewhere of several more games showing Capers adjusts the 2-4 to essentially a 3-3 for run heavy teams, and runs the 2-4 primarily on (predicted) passing downs (last year). Chicago obviously can do both, so Capers went with a 2-4 that included Perry.

I think that Capers took the new pass interference rules to heart and that the 2-4 this year was an acknowledgement that team were going to be pass-happy. results have been mixed. Obviously Seattle is getting away with a lot of contact and in the playoffs, like last year against SF, the refs are gonna swallow their whistles.

Unfortunately for the Packers, Capers' schemes do require the flexibility of a lot of specialized players, and if guys get hurt, he becomes limited very quickly. It's not like injuries don't hurt other teams (see SF for example), it's just missing a guy here or there can totally kill Dom's schemes (See at Saints, for example).
    What Capers has been doing the past few years is fundamentally unsound - and the results bear that out.

We've had one of the worst defenses in the league for 4 years running - and when he did manage to stop the bleeding a little bit during '12 season, he got us completely embarrassed and bounced out of the playoffs in infamous record setting fashion.

Everyone knows the weakness of the Green Bay Packers is defense - you guys complain a little bit here and there, but for the most part you see it as substandard players. With respect to the ILB's, yes I'm in complete agreement there, but everywhere else on defense - I like most of the players and see that they can be used to much better effect than what dunderdummy has been doing.

When he did go to the 3-3, our defense looked like an actual NFL calibur defense. It disrupted the LOS, created pressure, and put our best defensive players on the field together - in terms of the nickel?? The 3-3 is the answer for our team given our personnel.

You guys don't want to look at reality - you'd rather shoot the messenger. Given our personnel?? The 2-4 is a recipe for disaster, and that is born out every game we run a lot of 2-4, i.e. we get eaten alive, and give up tons of yds and pts - that is undeniable.
    wist