Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: He's BACK! Brad Jones Is Your Starting Dime LB

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Your line is going to have a rotation of all those guys - depending on situation.

If it's either or, you should have Boyd or Guion on the field, along with Daniels and D.Jones/Perry. You've got Neal, Matthews and Peppers standing up.

If it's clearly a passing situation, your line should be D. Jones, Daniels, and Perry; and the same 3 LB's.

It's not that complicated - and I have news for ya, there's no rule that says you can't rush 5; nor is there any rule that says you can't play zone underneath, cheat your Safeties up, or double the TE.

Of course dunderdummy will revert back to his default gameplan against elite QB's which is to play the 2-4, and play softer and softer in coverage. Gronk could have 3 or 4 TD's, and Brady is going to go off. Not to mention the fact that they should run for 150+

If dunderdummy comes out in a 3-3 nickel, and plays it the way I've outlined, we might-could have a chance; but if he reverts to his nature?? Well, we've seen that show a million times - haven't we??
    Capers might give you three down lineman given NE's running game. Though the bigger concern is likely Brady.

HOwever, this still leaves open a question. You said run 3-3 (Peppers/Matthews/Neal) and double Gronk. Who is doubling Gronk?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Radio communication is irrelevant pertaining to post-huddle communications/adjustments, as the NFL goes radio silence after the first 30 seconds or so of the play clock.

In other words, no reason Burnett can't handle the play call stuff.
    Coaches often talk through what the opponent is doing until that radio goes out. But the bigger question is: does Burnett make the secondary calls or does Dix have to do some when MB is near the LOS? Because if Dix is trusted then the second radio is perhaps more duplicate than necessary.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Capers might give you three down lineman given NE's running game. Though the bigger concern is likely Brady.

HOwever, this still leaves open a question. You said run 3-3 (Peppers/Matthews/Neal) and double Gronk. Who is doubling Gronk?
    The biggest concern is what will we get from Bill Belichick?

How fast will MM and Dom Capers react to that?
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    The biggest concern is what will we get from Bill Belichick?

How fast will MM and Dom Capers react to that?

Concise and sensible. Am I in the wrong universe?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I was just watching an NFL Shortcuts of a 2012 Packers-Vikings game, and Hawk wasn't as reluctant a tackler then as he is now, but he still ran like shit then as he does now.

Hawk's not injured. He hasn't showed up on the weekly injury report. The guy's lost a step. That's the cold hard truth.
    I fear he has lost more than a step and he didn't have much of one to begin with.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Concise and sensible. Am I in the wrong universe?
    ET, phone home.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Blog Entries
    Radio communication is irrelevant pertaining to post-huddle communications/adjustments, as the NFL goes radio silence after the first 30 seconds or so of the play clock.

In other words, no reason Burnett can't handle the play call stuff.
    There are many reasons, "Shutdown".

Safeties don't wear the radio hat. The only safety I've ever seen with one is Ed Reed. Sure, give the job to the deepest guy who has never done it before.

That would make a lot of sense.

For all you anti-Hawk people that say he doesn't contribute. If he is off the field for a significant amount of time, you will see just how much old, reliable AJ contributes.

I want Sean Richardson as the dime LB. Clay on the outside. Hawk on the sidelines.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    For all you anti-Hawk people that say he doesn't contribute. If he is off the field for a significant amount of time, you will see just how much old, reliable AJ contributes.
    AJ Hawk is second on the Packers 'D with 77 tackles to SS Morgan Burnett (Ranked an NFL 12th with 84 in tackles}.

If you elevated AJ Hawk by 'only 2' tackles he would rank in the top 20 defenders in tackling in the NFL.

The issue with AJ Hawk is his to be desired pass coverage skills.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Are we allowed to say he is slow, getting slower (possibly due to injury) and a liability in coverage?

Because if I am not, then I might as well stop watching because my eyes will revolt and jump away from my brain.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...1.html#packers

Wait and see: Last week, linebacker A.J. Hawk was replaced by Brad Jones as the lone inside linebacker in the dime package. This week, Hawk isn't sure who will be there.

"I have no idea," he said. "It's a minute-by-minute thing probably."

There ya go again Max... acting like nothing can be done out of a 3-3.

Who will cover who??? OH MY!!

I can see that you are in complete agreement with dunderdummy that the 2-4 is the only - the one and only - nickel front that can be run - ever. All other varieties of the nickel are ludicrous - right??

How would you double Gronk in the 2-4?? By using Brad Jones or AJ Hawk, along with a Safety?? Since both Jones and Hawk suck at every aspect of the game of football - how would you think that would turn out?? Rather I imagine you would think doubling Gronk an impossibility??

As for how I would do it - it's not rocket science, I'd bracket him with whichever LB and Safety he was lined up on. Underneath and over the top. Whether that LB is Matthews, Peppers or Neal wouldn't matter much except I'd scheme to dictate the matchup, instead of allowing the Pats to dictate the matchup.

That would pretty effectively take the seam route away from him, and if he's running a drag across the middle, I'd be in zone underneath so there would be plenty of traffic to intercept him coming across.

You act like doubling a player and taking him away from the offense is an impossibility... certainly dunderdummy thinks that - he never takes away an opponents #1 threat, he just sits back and hopes for the best.

If Perry misses the game - we'll be in big trouble. Chances are that b/c Perry isn't practicing this week, dunderdummy is preparing a gameplan that doesn't include Perry, i.e. he is going to play tons of 2-4. That being the case... I don't like our chances at all.
    wist

Max... was just listening to the radio and they were interviewing a Patriots beat writer from the Boston Globe.

He says he expects Belichick to come out and doublt Jordy [bracket him], stick Revis on Cobb 1 on 1, and force Rodgers to beat them with our junk TE's, 3r WR, and anemic running game - those were my thoughts exactly. That is exactly what I am expecting to see from Belichick.

Will MM expect this?? He may expect it, but he will not adjust in any way... as he's said, they'll run what they run, and that's it.

As for our defense, I expect the same... dunderdummy won't do anything to stop Brady or Gronk... he'll just scheme to keep everything in front of him and let our defense bleed to death.
    wist

There ya go again Max... acting like nothing can be done out of a 3-3.

Who will cover who??? OH MY!!

I can see that you are in complete agreement with dunderdummy that the 2-4 is the only - the one and only - nickel front that can be run - ever. All other varieties of the nickel are ludicrous - right??

How would you double Gronk in the 2-4?? By using Brad Jones or AJ Hawk, along with a Safety?? Since both Jones and Hawk suck at every aspect of the game of football - how would you think that would turn out?? Rather I imagine you would think doubling Gronk an impossibility??

As for how I would do it - it's not rocket science, I'd bracket him with whichever LB and Safety he was lined up on. Underneath and over the top. Whether that LB is Matthews, Peppers or Neal wouldn't matter much except I'd scheme to dictate the matchup, instead of allowing the Pats to dictate the matchup.

That would pretty effectively take the seam route away from him, and if he's running a drag across the middle, I'd be in zone underneath so there would be plenty of traffic to intercept him coming across.

You act like doubling a player and taking him away from the offense is an impossibility... certainly dunderdummy thinks that - he never takes away an opponents #1 threat, he just sits back and hopes for the best.

If Perry misses the game - we'll be in big trouble. Chances are that b/c Perry isn't practicing this week, dunderdummy is preparing a gameplan that doesn't include Perry, i.e. he is going to play tons of 2-4. That being the case... I don't like our chances at all.
    Only Matthews out of that group can cover Gronk. Peppers has no experience marking an All-Pro TE and Neal is not good in coverage. Peppers has excelled in dropping into zones and getting his 6' 7 " frame in the passing lane. Smart, solid football. But Gronk isn't going to be running a route to stand behind Julius. You will need to man up on him to double him.

The problem isn't your 3-3. Its that your 3-3 pulls Matthews out of the pass rush every snap unless you want a player inferior to Hawk/Jones in coverage. That is the conundrum and answers almost all of your questions about why Hawk and Jones still get snaps.

Only Matthews out of that group can cover Gronk. Peppers has no experience marking an All-Pro TE and Neal is not good in coverage. Peppers has excelled in dropping into zones and getting his 6' 7 " frame in the passing lane. Smart, solid football. But Gronk isn't going to be running a route to stand behind Julius. You will need to man up on him to double him.

The problem isn't your 3-3. Its that your 3-3 pulls Matthews out of the pass rush every snap unless you want a player inferior to Hawk/Jones in coverage. That is the conundrum and answers almost all of your questions about why Hawk and Jones still get snaps.
    oy vey...

You know enough about football to understand that when you double someone like Gronk, all you're really doing is bracketing him. It's not like you're playing bump and run on the outside. If he's running a drag or crossing pattern the safety over the top will stay with him and the zone players underneath need to be aware. By bracketing him up the middle you take the seam away from him, and the underneath zone should make life difficult as well.

As I said, I don't expect we'll see any of that on Sunday though. What I do expect, is to see Gronk running free all over the place.

As for your contention that Peppers and Neal can't play the underneath bracket, that is nonsense. Beyond that, I would argue that Jones and Hawk can't do anything - you'd rather have either one of them on the field?? That's nuts!! Neal is 10 times the athlete either Jones and Hawk are.

When we had the 3-3 in there, and Hawk and Jones were on the bench... we actually looked like a functional NFL defense. Of course dunderdummy went right back to his idiocy, and the only thing that kept the score down against Philly and Minnesota was lousy QB play. If Bridgewater were a competent NFL QB, we would have lost the Viking game; and Sanchez played like crap, or Philly would have posted a 40+ pt total on us.

For the personnel we have, the 3-3 is most logical and effective use of those players. The fact that dunderdummy doesn't see it is mindnumbing.
    wist

When we had the 3-3 in there, and Hawk and Jones were on the bench... we actually looked like a functional NFL defense. Of course dunderdummy went right back to his idiocy, and the only thing that kept the score down against Philly and Minnesota was lousy QB play. If Bridgewater were a competent NFL QB, we would have lost the Viking game; and Sanchez played like crap, or Philly would have posted a 40+ pt total on us.
    I do not know of any bracket coverage that is zone underneath and man over the top. To shake Gronk free, all you would need to do is send the TE and another receiver into the short zone and wait for the LB to react. Or you can send Gronk across the formation, away from the safety help and throw in front of the other safety. How that would be an effective double while accounting for other receivers is unclear. Maybe I am simply unaware of this strategy but the brackets I know are under/over or inside/outside and both are man coverage.

As for Hawk/Jones being off the field in the 3-3 you saw:

See #50. That uni is AJ Hawk.

\

He says he expects Belichick to come out and doublt Jordy [bracket him], stick Revis on Cobb 1 on 1, and force Rodgers to beat them with our junk TE's, 3r WR, and anemic running game - those were my thoughts exactly. That is exactly what I am expecting to see from Belichick.
    Since you I, and everyone else seems to be expecting this, I expect Cheat to do something different.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I'd just like to see someone try and doublt Nelson. Whatever doublt is (sounds like something you get at Burger King), Jordy will defeat it.