Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Robert Griffin III Benched

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    He needs to be a backup somewhere and learn how to play the game. GB would be perfect.
    I remember when they said that about Tim Couch
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    It's hard to think of a player that has been more misused than RG III.
    It's probably society's fault
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    4 million isn't that prohibitive in making the change at QB. The Bears are wedded to Cutler, fer instance. I didn't realize how bad THAT deal was. Chi would be on the hook for a cool 38 million for the remaining two years of that one.

RGIII has skills but he flat out has not put in the work to get up to speed in a pro offense.

You are 100% right.

They have sliced the playbook way down for him, which is a limited situation.

The front office needs to call him in and give him a reality check.

If Griffin was cut, it might be a better situation for him.

J GRU's system is an adult portion and RGIII is more of a Happy Meal kind of guy.
    I appreciate the praise, but I don't entirely agree.

I wanted to preface that I don't know what's entirely true from the Shanahan/Griffin days. I read a lot of WaPo articles, and every on-the-record quote was matched with two unnamed sources. Everyone leaked info to someone, and the kindest thing I can say is that Dad Shanahan was never on-board with the trade and he fought until the bitter end to get fired and pick up his full contract value.

Griffin worked his tail off to learn the Year One offense, which was similar to the Briles Baylor offense (limited field reads, defensive player keys, pre-snap decisions run/pass/keeper packaged options) with Shanahan's zone-blocking. I believe he set the rookie completion percentage record.

The Year Two offense was supposed to be more pro-style (whole-field reads, fewer keepers, more post-snap decisions). I'd like to think that his knee rehab and the irrevocably broken trust kept him from picking it up. I read that by the end, Rex Grossman was the go-between for everyone.

Then in Year Three, you've got more pro-style and a new coach who doesn't want an injury-prone pro project to kill his career before it starts.

Like I said, I'm a bit biased on this, because I don't want my alma mater to have the rep of "system offense" players (Baylor WRs? Pretty good. Baylor OL? Not doing well at all). On top of that, I just don't want RG3 to get slagged as an "egotistical, athletic" QB who couldn't lead a complicated pro offense (dog whistle).

He probably does need to study more, drill on the above-the-neck issues, and get put on media lockdown for a while. I don't think it's inherently bad, but worrying about the Big Picture is not going to keep him employed in 2018, if that's what he wants to do by then.

RG3 is a cheap rental for a team like the Titans or Bucs that doesn't have a solid starter and might see a multi-year role in his future (as are the Raiders and Jets, but at that point, just shoot me in the head). As you said, he's a heck of a lot cheaper than Cutler or Alex Smith. I think his trade value is small, as he's on his last contract year and his coach has told NFL.com, of all places, a laundry list of mechanical and mental faults.

On the plus side, he owns his house, he banked all his endorsement money and lived off his rookie salary. His wife is young and cute (and they both love their in-laws), and Baylor Law School will take him, so things could be a lot worse. I'm sure he'd trade his knees with mine any morning.
    Last edited by NewsBruin; 12-17-2014 at 01:17 AM.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

Quote Originally Posted by NewsBruin View Post
    On top of that, I just don't want RG3 to get slagged as an "egotistical, athletic" QB who couldn't lead a complicated pro offense (dog whistle).
    Like Johnny Manzier?

I appreciate the praise, but I don't entirely agree.

I wanted to preface that I don't know what's entirely true from the Shanahan/Griffin days. I read a lot of WaPo articles, and every on-the-record quote was matched with two unnamed sources. Everyone leaked info to someone, and the kindest thing I can say is that Dad Shanahan was never on-board with the trade and he fought until the bitter end to get fired and pick up his full contract value.

Griffin worked his tail off to learn the Year One offense, which was similar to the Briles Baylor offense (limited field reads, defensive player keys, pre-snap decisions run/pass/keeper packaged options) with Shanahan's zone-blocking. I believe he set the rookie completion percentage record.

The Year Two offense was supposed to be more pro-style (whole-field reads, fewer keepers, more post-snap decisions). I'd like to think that his knee rehab and the irrevocably broken trust kept him from picking it up. I read that by the end, Rex Grossman was the go-between for everyone.

Then in Year Three, you've got more pro-style and a new coach who doesn't want an injury-prone pro project to kill his career before it starts.

Like I said, I'm a bit biased on this, because I don't want my alma mater to have the rep of "system offense" players (Baylor WRs? Pretty good. Baylor OL? Not doing well at all). On top of that, I just don't want RG3 to get slagged as an "egotistical, athletic" QB who couldn't lead a complicated pro offense (dog whistle).

He probably does need to study more, drill on the above-the-neck issues, and get put on media lockdown for a while. I don't think it's inherently bad, but worrying about the Big Picture is not going to keep him employed in 2018, if that's what he wants to do by then.

RG3 is a cheap rental for a team like the Titans or Bucs that doesn't have a solid starter and might see a multi-year role in his future (as are the Raiders and Jets, but at that point, just shoot me in the head). As you said, he's a heck of a lot cheaper than Cutler or Alex Smith. I think his trade value is small, as he's on his last contract year and his coach has told NFL.com, of all places, a laundry list of mechanical and mental faults.

On the plus side, he owns his house, he banked all his endorsement money and lived off his rookie salary. His wife is young and cute (and they both love their in-laws), and Baylor Law School will take him, so things could be a lot worse. I'm sure he'd trade his knees with mine any morning.
    " and get put on media lockdown for a while " NewsBruin

He's covering that one right at this time.

Of course.... RD III must be fined $50 K$ by the NFL. Really !?
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Like Johnny Manzier?
    Is he a C-cup?

Blog Entries
    NB, I think RG III is a good kid and his setbacks have humbled him a good deal.

He's probably learned that there is a ton to master to be a pocket passer and that's what he must do to be a success.

A trip away from DC and time & a system that he can mange will help him + the experience of the last few years.

He's looked much better these last few games.

The DC thing just hasn't worked out, like to see him get the fresh restart someplace.

And now for something completely different...the awesomest Baylor 1st-round bust: Danny Watkins.

I'll see Travis Jervey's lion and raise him a fire truck!

And now for something completely different...the awesomest Baylor 1st-round bust: Danny Watkins.

I'll see Travis Jervey's lion and raise him a fire truck!
    He always wanted to be a firefighter.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    NB, I think RG III is a good kid and his setbacks have humbled him a good deal.

He's probably learned that there is a ton to master to be a pocket passer and that's what he must do to be a success.

A trip away from DC and time & a system that he can mange will help him + the experience of the last few years.

He's looked much better these last few games.

The DC thing just hasn't worked out, like to see him get the fresh restart someplace.
    Maybe things have settled into " let's be patient ...a wait and see and keep it positive ".

Teach RG III to be more humble and more team oriented. Teach and work with his pocket awareness.

Get the running game back on track as it was in RG III's Rookie Season.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelo.../alfred-morris

RB Albert Morris has had just three games over 100 yards from LOS including 'only' one 100 yard game rushing.

Give it another season. It might be worse and their QB Jay Cutler.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 12-17-2014 at 01:53 PM.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...e-to-drop-back

Gruden: We need lead so RGIII won't have to drop back

By Conor Orr - Around The NFL Writer

Published: Dec. 16, 2014 at 04:15 p.m. ...Updated: Dec. 16, 2014 at 08:02 p.m.

--
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Translation:

" I'm desperate for some money ! "

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    It only gets better and better.