Quote Originally Posted by NewsBruin View Post
I'm a tad biased here. He desperately needs the McCarthy Fantasy QB Camp treatment.

I don't know what QB coaching he got in DC, but he did put in the time on his first preseason (all his commercials were filmed before training camp). The Shanahans gave him an easy-read offense for Year One, and his PA skills made everyone look awesome. Of course, Lobster Bill never wanted him and leaked to the DC press at every turn (Machiavellianism apparently a time-honored DC football tradition). Plus, being a wide-eyed 21-year-old told you're going to be the football/racial messiah of DC (and do it with a #hashtag at every turn)...

Since then, he's shown that he's not there right now mentally or emotionally to read the field pre-snap. I want for him to be an awesome QB, but the league's figured him out faster than he can adjust. He's the fill-in starter, but Gruden's not going to lose his job over someone who can't produce. He's already hamstrung with an ineffective front office climbing out of the Haynesworth crater and draft dearth. And I think his teammates are just tired of the whole saga.

Because RG3's a new-CBA first-rounder, his contract is low but fully guaranteed through 2015. If they trade him, they eat the $4 million remaining signing bonus on the cap, but save $3 million in cap and real money. If they cut him, they still have to cut him checks (even if another team picks him up-which is as it should be). That makes him a not-unattractive test drive for a team with cap space, but lowers his trade return (unless DC has two suitors to play against each other). Teams are pretty good at smelling desperation.

His agent is/was? Ben Dogra, who got fired with cause from CAA last year, so that may be a factor in any complicated moves.

DC's big question is, "Is he our QB for 2016?" If Gruden doesn't see it, then Bruce Allen should go ahead and get anything they can for him in the Spring (and just bite the "you're the ones who screwed up RG3" PR hit). If Gruden does see it, then they have a huge enough rebuilding project ahead.
4 million isn't that prohibitive in making the change at QB. The Bears are wedded to Cutler, fer instance. I didn't realize how bad THAT deal was. Chi would be on the hook for a cool 38 million for the remaining two years of that one.

RGIII has skills but he flat out has not put in the work to get up to speed in a pro offense.

You are 100% right.

They have sliced the playbook way down for him, which is a limited situation.

The front office needs to call him in and give him a reality check.

If Griffin was cut, it might be a better situation for him.

J GRU's system is an adult portion and RGIII is more of a Happy Meal kind of guy.