From my armchair point of view, Capers is great at what he does, but what he does is too often average or below average.

His emphasis on linebackers over defensive linemen changed the defensive culture in Green Bay and I'm not too comfortable with that. Capers system relies on scheme to put his LB's in a position to make big plays and, to his credit, the Packers are getting turnovers again.

However, Capers' intensive scheming requires complication and communication, the breakdown of which often leads to big plays by the opposition. Capers system also requires LB's with athleticism and speed. But these types of players are often injured (Mathews, Perry, Neal, Mulumba, Palmer, etc.) leaving more rugged but less gifted athletes (Hawk, Brad Jones) to pick up the slack. Moreover, Capers' schemes may confuse and disrupt mediocre QB's, but elite QB's can figure them out (if given time in the pocket).

In the past the Packers have relied on big, rugged defensive lineman (White, Dotson, Brown, and in 2010 Howard Green, Cullen Jenkins and Ryan Pickett) to create penetration and inside pressure. I'm more comfortable with that, the style of defense in Detroit and St. Louis, the type the NY Giants had a few years ago. All elite QB's have to do to neutralize Capers' scheming is to use their smarts. It's hard for an elite QB to do that if he's getting forced out of the pocket by heavy pressure up the middle from big, defensive linemen.

In Capers defense, Raji is injured and several promising defensive linemen are/were injured or are hampered by inexperience (Jones, Thornton, Pennel). But so long as Capers is here, the emphasis will remain on LB's not the DL. That might be reason enough for me to change coordinators.

Imagine if the Packers had Detroit's DL and our secondary. The effectiveness of the defense wouldn't hinge on a Peppers or a Mathews being a superstar at LB. You'd be OK with more average guys like Mulumba and Elliot, maybe even Hawk and Brad Jones.