View Poll Results: FOR THE RECORD......HOW WOULD YOU JUDGE DOM CAPERS ??

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I subscribe to Wistology. Dom Capers is a moron and should be fired yesterday

9 27.27%
  • Dom is an Average DC and does a decent job utilizing the talent Ted gives

21 63.64%
  • He's the Dominator and excels as a DC.

3 9.09%
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: WHAT IS YOUR VIEW OF DOM CAPERS

Blog Entries

WHAT IS YOUR VIEW OF DOM CAPERS

Time for a dam poll
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Positive, experienced. But not the best fit for a Thompson GM'd team. Need someone who has, and will run, almost any defense because you don't know what body type Thompson is going to hit upon. He has adjusted to having man corners and his secondary has pulled itself together with a functional 2nd safety.

If they gave him another ILB besides Matthews, it would be nice to see. McCarthy has obviously tried to push him in that direction and the players claim there is stuff they haven't trotted out yet. NE game would be an obvious one for something new.

I'd rate the coach a B, his fit with personnel a D and his overall effort a C.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    I was trying to do one of these dam polly things...so now...go cast your vote !!
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Over rated IMO

I roll my eyes and chuckle everytime the camera switches to him and the knobs on tv talk about what a "guru" he is

He may have been a defensive guru at one time, but the rest of the league has figured him out

Average at best DC at this point, and not a fit for the system that TT drafts and builds for

I am somewhere between the first and second answer. I selected the first because i do not think he does a good job with the talent given

I voted that he's a moron but would have preferred middle ground options on either side of the middle ground.

I trust wist43's observations.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I think he's a really good dc. Glad we have him.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

I think he's pretty average. We don't have a lot of blue chip players on this defense, frankly. And too many of our first round picks can't stay on the field so it is hard to judge completely.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    From my armchair point of view, Capers is great at what he does, but what he does is too often average or below average.

His emphasis on linebackers over defensive linemen changed the defensive culture in Green Bay and I'm not too comfortable with that. Capers system relies on scheme to put his LB's in a position to make big plays and, to his credit, the Packers are getting turnovers again.

However, Capers' intensive scheming requires complication and communication, the breakdown of which often leads to big plays by the opposition. Capers system also requires LB's with athleticism and speed. But these types of players are often injured (Mathews, Perry, Neal, Mulumba, Palmer, etc.) leaving more rugged but less gifted athletes (Hawk, Brad Jones) to pick up the slack. Moreover, Capers' schemes may confuse and disrupt mediocre QB's, but elite QB's can figure them out (if given time in the pocket).

In the past the Packers have relied on big, rugged defensive lineman (White, Dotson, Brown, and in 2010 Howard Green, Cullen Jenkins and Ryan Pickett) to create penetration and inside pressure. I'm more comfortable with that, the style of defense in Detroit and St. Louis, the type the NY Giants had a few years ago. All elite QB's have to do to neutralize Capers' scheming is to use their smarts. It's hard for an elite QB to do that if he's getting forced out of the pocket by heavy pressure up the middle from big, defensive linemen.

In Capers defense, Raji is injured and several promising defensive linemen are/were injured or are hampered by inexperience (Jones, Thornton, Pennel). But so long as Capers is here, the emphasis will remain on LB's not the DL. That might be reason enough for me to change coordinators.

Imagine if the Packers had Detroit's DL and our secondary. The effectiveness of the defense wouldn't hinge on a Peppers or a Mathews being a superstar at LB. You'd be OK with more average guys like Mulumba and Elliot, maybe even Hawk and Brad Jones.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I think he's pretty average. We don't have a lot of blue chip players on this defense, frankly. And too many of our first round picks can't stay on the field so it is hard to judge completely.

In the offseason when Wist was not around I was often the most critical poster in here of much of our squad....so besides Wist being an awesome poster that was the other reason I'm always glad when he comes back.

But I've never bought into Wistology; he pounds that point home over and over and over and I think some in here have embraced it....perhaps a Packerrats Cult

I think Dom is very average. I think he has obvious weaknesses on that defense and gets as much out of them as most other DC's would.

With my view, I think there should be just as many people voting for the Dominator as there are for Domdummy but most should just fall into the middle.

When we lose it seems like Dom gets no credit at all when the defense excels
    When we win it seems like the Dom gets all the blame when it does not

When the Packers finally found a defense in the late 80s with Infante (his second year only) and then Ray Rhodes arrived with Holmgren, the Packers were running a 3-4.

Prior to the Super Bowl year with Shurmur's 4-3 Under, Rhodes had some of the best Packer defenses since Lombardi I believe. This happened before the Browns vacated their ancestral home, so I could easily be dead wrong but I think that is the gist of it. Of course all this followed some of the worst defensive play man has ever seen in the 1980s.

Its not scheme as much as personnel with the Packers. Ted has not hit as many triples on D as he has on O.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    When the Packers finally found a defense in the late 80s with Infante (his second year only) and then Ray Rhodes arrived with Holmgren, the Packers were running a 3-4.

Prior to the Super Bowl year with Shurmur's 4-3 Under, Rhodes had some of the best Packer defenses since Lombardi I believe. This happened before the Browns vacated their ancestral home, so I could easily be dead wrong but I think that is the gist of it. Of course all this followed some of the worst defensive play man has ever seen in the 1980s.

Its not scheme as much as personnel with the Packers. Ted has not hit as many triples on D as he has on O.
    I'll be the first to agree it's players that make the difference and not the smarts of the Defensive Coach.

However, defensive philosophy sure makes a difference as to what kind/type of players TT drafts. We've been drafting highly rated OLB's and lower rated defensive linemen IMO.

I'd kill for a Ngata or a Suh in the middle of our DL.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

I think there is talent there, but it isn't being maximized and that's on the coaching staff and the coordinator.

Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    I think he's a really good dc. Glad we have him.
    I'm not THAT glad we have him, but I agree that Capers' a good DC.

The Packers have worthless fat turds on the DL and worthless fucks at ILB. Last season, Capers coached a bunch of worthless she-male safeties. Last time I checked, and I checked a second ago, Capers' job title was Defensive Coordinator - not Executive V.P., General Manager & Director of Football Operations.

I would have voted for 'marginal, but not a dumpster fire' but settled for the middle option.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    I voted for firing. I just don't trust him. My biggest complaint has always been that if plan A isn't working, there doesn't seem to be a plan B. So it's his lack of in-game adjustments when things are going badly is what I am most frustrated with.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

he's good. i think the scouting dept needs upgrading though.

If you can have an effective unit only when you have the best players, you aren't a very good coordinator. By effective, I mean middle of the league.
    A good coordinator is one who adapts to the players he has and and finds ways to make them effective even if they aren't a "best in the league" type of unit.

Packer defenses have not been merely ineffective, often they have been awful. A good coordinator avoids being awful even with a lot of mediocre players. Face it, due to roster turnover, injuries and what have you, the Packers have had poor O-lines at times, poor running backs and inexperienced WRs at times. Yet, their offense has found ways to remain effective.

I was among those who were concerned with Capers' history. He seemed to field top 10 type defenses for 2-3 years wherever he went, then faded badly. With all the film available to NFL teams, I'm not sure why that would be, but it is.
    Last edited by Patler; 11-29-2014 at 05:51 PM.

Blog Entries
    Not sure I buy into all of that completely Patler.

What our defense does not have is Aaron Rodgers; he really masks weaknesses everywhere..being the best qb in the nfl at the most important position.

But I really think the offense parts around Rodgers are also stronger, personnel wise, than the defensive parts around Clay. I think Ted has done a better job filling out the offensive talent than on defense.

Thompson did find two guys who sort of fit the Rodgers bill: Collins and Woodson.

Matthews, for all the love and hype, just is not a dominant enough pass rusher to single-handedly change an offense. Maybe you need 2-3 of them on D rather than just the one at QB for Offense.