View Poll Results: FOR THE RECORD......HOW WOULD YOU JUDGE DOM CAPERS ??

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I subscribe to Wistology. Dom Capers is a moron and should be fired yesterday

9 27.27%
  • Dom is an Average DC and does a decent job utilizing the talent Ted gives

21 63.64%
  • He's the Dominator and excels as a DC.

3 9.09%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: WHAT IS YOUR VIEW OF DOM CAPERS

I remember from the radio broadcast that we were already into the 2nd quarter, and there had only been 3 possessions. We had the ball twice, and ATL had it once... so long drives/possessions ate up much of the 1st half - so our defense "holding them down" is a bit of a mirage. We ate up 10:47 of the 1st quarter on 2 possessions.

Atlanta's first drive, they drove it 72 yds, in 9 plays, 4:13 TOP, and scored the TD.

------------------------------------------------------------------

In the 2nd quarter, we forced a 3 and out, punt; gave up a 25 yd pass play before Burnett's INT; gave up a 1st down, and then forced a punt after 3 incompletes.

So those 3 possessions were okay... anyone have alignments, coverage, and rush packages for those series??

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Then on the last possession of the half, Atlanta moved the ball 45 yds, in 2 plays, in 22 seconds, to set up a makable FG - which was blocked.

That knife thru butter impersonation at the end of the half was a precursor of things to come in the 2nd.

Not much need to go over what happened in the 2nd half - we got absolutely gashed over, and over again. TOP can't be used as an excuse, b/c overall for the game, we out possessed them 33 to 27.

I'll call around to some buddies and see if anyone recorded it and hasn't deleted it yet... asked a couple of guys already, but no one recorded it.

You guys were all giddy over the NE game, and I gave dunderdummy his props; but I'm here to tell ya - he is a huge ?
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I remember from the radio broadcast that we were already into the 2nd quarter, and there had only been 3 possessions. We had the ball twice, and ATL had it once... so long drives/possessions ate up much of the 1st half - so our defense "holding them down" is a bit of a mirage. We ate up 10:47 of the 1st quarter on 2 possessions.

Atlanta's first drive, they drove it 72 yds, in 9 plays, 4:13 TOP, and scored the TD.

------------------------------------------------------------------

In the 2nd quarter, we forced a 3 and out, punt; gave up a 25 yd pass play before Burnett's INT; gave up a 1st down, and then forced a punt after 3 incompletes.

So those 3 possessions were okay... anyone have alignments, coverage, and rush packages for those series??

Then on the last possession of the half, Atlanta moved the ball 45 yds, in 2 plays, in 22 seconds, to set up a makable FG - which was blocked.

That knife thru butter impersonation at the end of the half was a precursor of things to come in the 2nd.

Not much need to go over what happened in the 2nd half - we got absolutely gashed over, and over again. TOP can't be used as an excuse, b/c overall for the game, we out possessed them 33 to 27.

I'll call around to some buddies and see if anyone recorded it and hasn't deleted it yet... asked a couple of guys already, but no one recorded it.

You guys were all giddy over the NE game, and I gave dunderdummy his props; but I'm here to tell ya - he is a huge ?
    Yup.

I recorded this game and watched the glorious first half this morning. Yes the Packers 'O' dominated and the defense was well rested. They went to the locker room for half time and went for a nap. Woke up stiff...dazed and confused. It was a dramatic shift in style and execution.

I'll watch the second half tomorrow morning. I can stand the pain.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Yup.

I recorded this game and watched the glorious first half this morning. Yes the Packers 'O' dominated and the defense was well rested. They went to the locker room for half time and went for a nap. Woke up stiff...dazed and confused. It was a dramatic shift in style and execution.

Just watched the first half tonight. Probably won't watch the 2nd half til sometimes in the off-season.

I know I should be watching the 2nd half b/c Matt Ryan is my favorite non-Packer QB, but I can't stand the pain.

Blog Entries
    With the exception of a handful of 3-4 downs, the Packers played pretty much exclusively 2-4 nickel personnel against almost all 1-back, 3 wide offensive groups. Peppers, while always wide in an OLB position outside the tackle on the left, tended to stand up when covered by a TE/H-back and put his hand down when uncovered. The ROLB always stood up in either a one-foot forward rush mode when uncovered or a parallel stance ready to go any direction and press the TE/tight slot when covered up.

Matthews shifted from ILB to ROLB as has been his norm recently and the combination of Neal/Jones patrolled the DL increasingly as the game went on obviously to generate more pass rush, but that didn't materialize.

Coverages tended to match up to personnel, situation (and tendencies I'm sure), but as far as I could tell tended to shift from cover 3 zone - which was too often played too softly - to cover 1 man - which turned out to be too aggressive (against Jones) who had success going over the top of Shields and making double moves on Williams. He was just too big for Hyde early and Heyward later on some slants and crosses from the slot. House played him much too softly in zone a few times but did have a couple break-ups in man on the perimeter.

There was a down early on the first series when the Falcons scored where they went 1-4 dime and all 5 rushed backed up by man press coverage. Jones was too much for Hyde on a quick slant and the pass was completed. I don't recall seeing that again in the game.

It all pretty much worked well in the first half and then leaked a shit ton against the pass with a big lead but got them the win in the second half - particularly the 4th quarter.
    Last edited by vince; 12-10-2014 at 02:40 AM.

GBPG says it was the plan to go vanilla after building the big lead:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...ense/20173407/

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post

What I heard was the defensive backs were getting really cocky in the locker room at half time, so MM instructed Capers to run a vanilla defense to humble the defensive backs by having to face Jones on an island. Also duplicitous was the Packers pass rush who helped hang the defensive backs out to dry with little to know pressure on Matt Ryan. I guess they now have their comeuppance. Message received.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Just watched the first half tonight. Probably won't watch the 2nd half til sometimes in the off-season.

I know I should be watching the 2nd half b/c Matt Ryan is my favorite non-Packer QB, but I can't stand the pain.
    You have just crushed Joey Harrington

Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    With the exception of a handful of 3-4 downs, the Packers played pretty much exclusively 2-4 nickel personnel against almost all 1-back, 3 wide offensive groups. Peppers, while always wide in an OLB position outside the tackle on the left, tended to stand up when covered by a TE/H-back and put his hand down when uncovered. The ROLB always stood up in either a one-foot forward rush mode when uncovered or a parallel stance ready to go any direction and press the TE/tight slot when covered up.

Matthews shifted from ILB to ROLB as has been his norm recently and the combination of Neal/Jones patrolled the DL increasingly as the game went on obviously to generate more pass rush, but that didn't materialize.

Coverages tended to match up to personnel, situation (and tendencies I'm sure), but as far as I could tell tended to shift from cover 3 zone - which was too often played too softly - to cover 1 man - which turned out to be too aggressive (against Jones) who had success going over the top of Shields and making double moves on Williams. He was just too big for Hyde early and Heyward later on some slants and crosses from the slot. House played him much too softly in zone a few times but did have a couple break-ups in man on the perimeter.

There was a down early on the first series when the Falcons scored where they went 1-4 dime and all 5 rushed backed up by man press coverage. Jones was too much for Hyde on a quick slant and the pass was completed. I don't recall seeing that again in the game.

It all pretty much worked well in the first half and then leaked a shit ton against the pass with a big lead but got them the win in the second half - particularly the 4th quarter.
    I'm just getting set to watch the second half now.

I'll be looking for all you report Vince.

Thanks.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    What I heard was the defensive backs were getting really cocky in the locker room at half time, so MM instructed Capers to run a vanilla defense to humble the defensive backs by having to face Jones on an island. Also duplicitous was the Packers pass rush who helped hang the defensive backs out to dry with little to know pressure on Matt Ryan. I guess they now have their comeuppance. Message received.
    Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    If that's true, I don't know if it's inspired or just crazy. Since they won, I guess it was inspired, but it seems dangerous.

What's your source?

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Yup.

http://www.footballdb.com/games/boxs...gid=2014120801

Atlanta Falcons at Green Bay Packers

December 8, 2014 - Lambeau Field, Green Bay, WI ... Attendance: 77,512

I just finished watching the second half and now am less concerned RE: any shock.

It's as I saw it before this game. Atlanta has a formidable offense with Ryan passing to Julio Jones the NO. 1 WR in the NFL right now in terms of receiving yards. Roddy White is getting his health back and is dangerous and Douglas as well. All three of these fellas scored a TD in this game.

I saw Clay Matthews, Sam Barrington and Mike Neal giving it throughout this game. Julius Peppers had a very clean uni when he went to the sidelines late in the 4th Qtr. He didn't look very happy for some reason. He seemed to blend into the background. Is this any real concern?

What I saw was a large lead of 17 points get reduced to 10 Points and smartly back to 17 Points.

Nothing really showed up in a dramatic sense with the Packers defense until late in the last quarter.

With 6:15 left the Packers have a 2 possession lead at 40-30. That's extended to 43-30 with Mason Crosby's long 53 yard FG with about 4:20 left in the 4th quarter.

The Packers 'D' gets gashed by good Falcon runs and the ball reaches the Packers Red Zone in pronto time. The Atlanta falcons are about 60% successful scoring in the Red Zone.

A Matt Ryan pass to Douglas who beats Hayward in a right to left crossing route brings the score to 43-37; but it's now nearing the 2 minute warning and Atlanta needs a good shot at an onside kick and the ball back.

That onside kick effort sucked . It went too far and right to.... of all Packers,.... a sure handed Jordy Nelson. It's game over with 1-2 first down which the Packers offense easily got. Recall James Starks long run down the LHS and inside the Atlanta Red Zone.

This is a game now where both defenses are tired.

It's as expected a Packer win and the score on Atlanta's side is a reflection of maybe a few things:

1. The Packers secondary isn't that good in terms of consistency.

2. I see a lot of cockiness on that secondary and a game is 60 minutes. Don't waste energy celebrating every play that turns out good.

3. That secondary is on the small side and often not up to the task of competing with the likes of ** a Julio Jones.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

The Packers Pass 'D' is Ranked 17th.

What defense can hold that WR down when he's healthy? Julio Jones is a dominating WR. (See Calvin Johnson)

** The Packers have to contain Rookie Sammy Watkins (6-1 and 211 lbs.) of Buffalo this week 15. Buffalo also has a young WR Robert Woods that can be dangerous.

** Then in Week 16 it's outstanding Rookie Mike Evans (6-5; 231 lbs.) of Tampa Bay.

** Next up it's DETROIT in Week 17 ... it's a pair of solid WR's in Megatron and Golden Tate....Look out !

The Packers have to look at this game in terms of the teams defense and of course learn and grow....adjust.

GO PACKERS !

He says it was vanilla early too. Although more than two people are reporting some kind of Cover 3 that could be a zone underneath.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    He says it was vanilla early too. Although more than two people are reporting some kind of Cover 3 that could be a zone underneath.
    well, if it was a zone, it was a matchup zone on Jones, because he was man covered on almost every down that I saw. Unbelievable.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    well, if it was a zone, it was a matchup zone on Jones, because he was man covered on almost every down that I saw. Unbelievable.
    Yes on this. Every game article says the Packers did to Jones what they did to Gronk which was play everyone on him, including the slot CBs and safety/CBs.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    If that's true, I don't know if it's inspired or just crazy. Since they won, I guess it was inspired, but it seems dangerous.

What's your source?
    My mind. No, I was totally joking around. Would have been a good story. Kind of seemed like someone getting punished though, huh?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Yes on this. Every game article says the Packers did to Jones what they did to Gronk which was play everyone on him, including the slot CBs and safety/CBs.
    And yet it seemed that the safeties were in a much better position to affect play against Gronk than they were against Jones. Did the difference in the 2 games have more to do with player execution than with scheme? (Cue Wist)

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    And yet it seemed that the safeties were in a much better position to affect play against Gronk than they were against Jones. Did the difference in the 2 games have more to do with player execution than with scheme? (Cue Wist)
    The difference has to do with Gronk not being the same caliber of weapon that Jones is. Gronk is a terrific tight end but he's still a tight end. Gronk would need to catch 30 balls to do the kind of damage Julio can do in 10.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Tom Silverstein @TomSilverstein

The 259 yards that #Falcons WR Julio Jones had was the most the #Packers have allowed ever, topping Megatron's 244 on Jan. 1, 2012.

Not an X and O guy, but I saw a D that got pretty lucky in the first half and one that went into clock management in the second half way to early. They played soft and got beat up by a very talented player. Thing is they got there break when the Falcons scored on 4th down, Hyde broke up 3rd down pass to the out at the front pylon. Ryan stared down that play and had Hyde not knocked the pass down Shields was going 100 yards the other way for the back breaking score. It didn't work out that way and Atlanta was in desperation mode at that point and scored on 4th down. I don't think MrAyn is too far off on the rope a dope defense, lol. I don't really understand why though. Shields played poor, from what I could tell, but man that dude is fast. He chased down Jones on that long pass. Dude made everyone else look like they were running in quick sand!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Rating the Packers vs. Falcons
    SECONDARY (one-half)

The best players were Morgan Burnett (66) and Davon House (22). Burnett made Ryan pay for his awful throw by remaining disciplined in coverage, catching the sideline interception in his hands (for the game's only takeaway) and breaking two tackles on a 32-yard return. Burnett spent much of the game in the box as the Packers focused on stopping the run. He's a determined, accurate tackler in-line. House replaced ineffective Sam Shields (45) early in the fourth quarter. He was the only cornerback who got up and challenged Julio Jones on his career day. House broke up two long fades to the dominating big man with tight coverage. He also made a strong face-up tackle to halt the conversion run. Coming off a concussion, Shields had a forgettable showing. On Jones' 22-yard TD, he didn't get a jam and was weak at the ball. He did show great speed chasing down Jones on his 79-yard slant-and-go behind Tramon Williams (67) and hustling to throw a block for Burnett. Williams looked equally as bad in trail technique on a 29-yard dig by aging Roddy White, who's playing on a bum ankle, and dropped a sideline interception after nice coverage. Micah Hyde (42) and Casey Hayward (39) played poorly, too. Hyde let little Eric Weems, a special-teamer, beat him inside on a fourth-and-5 TD pass. Hayward was too deep in the end zone and gave up a too-easy 2-yard TD pass to Harry Douglas. The Packers played some man and they played some zone. The cohesion between the three levels of defense was as bad as it has been all season. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (67) needs to stop making rookie mistakes.
    It was vanilla coverage for sure, but with big receivers coming up pretty much the rest of the season, it's easy to see how they'd prefer to show as little as possible for as long as possible. It'd be nice if the DB's step up to that challenge and play better to help make that happen a little bit more.