Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: More Banjo: vs Patriots Week 13

I've read a few articles criticizing Hyde on the muffed punt return. How is it possible that some of the local media guys still do not understand the rule? There's no risk in what Hyde did--only potential benefit.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I've read a few articles criticizing Hyde on the muffed punt return. How is it possible that some of the local media guys still do not understand the rule? There's no risk in what Hyde did--only potential benefit.
    Is it settled science that a Patriot touched the ball first? I don't have a replay now to look at. From what I saw live it looked like Hyde was the first to touch the ball.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    There were a couple of times Rodgers sat back there looking for an open man for a ridiculous amount of time. They did a great job in pass pro yesterday.
    I think Cheat decided to go with coverage, based on how Rodgers does against the blitz. Cheat was probably pretty disappointed he couldn't get consistent pressure with 3-4 guys.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Is it settled science that a Patriot touched the ball first? I don't have a replay now to look at. From what I saw live it looked like Hyde was the first to touch the ball.
    Hyde thought they touched it.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post

I know the rule and have for a while, his play was still stupid. Yes, it is true he cannot muff the punt, but if Hyde picks the ball up and maintains possession for even a split second he can now fumble the ball as normal. I envision him picking the ball up and without yet tucking it away having it knocked out of his hands. Fumble. Without going back and watching, I remember 6 Patriots surrounding him. This makes the potential for a decent return basically nothing while the potential for disaster slightly higher. Just leave the ball alone. It'll be brought back to where it was first touched anyway.

Well I can't speak for the media but I forget this rule every other year. So its possible.

Also, there was never any ruling on the field about the Patriots touching it so it was entered in the GameBook as a muff.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Well I can't speak for the media but I forget this rule every other year.
    How would you know?

Anyway, It is kind of a crazy rule - or rather circumstance that requires such a rule. And Chan's visions of disaster aside, I kinda like the nerve and confidence of Hyde to go after it and try to get yardage. Wonder what the coaches are telling him in the film room.

Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post
    I know the rule and have for a while, his play was still stupid. Yes, it is true he cannot muff the punt, but if Hyde picks the ball up and maintains possession for even a split second he can now fumble the ball as normal. I envision him picking the ball up and without yet tucking it away having it knocked out of his hands. Fumble. Without going back and watching, I remember 6 Patriots surrounding him. This makes the potential for a decent return basically nothing while the potential for disaster slightly higher. Just leave the ball alone. It'll be brought back to where it was first touched anyway.
    Then you don't know the rule. If Hyde picks the ball up after NE touches it, runs with it for a while and then fumbles, the Packers still have the option of taking the ball where NE first touched it.

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Then you don't know the rule. If Hyde picks the ball up after NE touches it, runs with it for a while and then fumbles, the Packers still have the option of taking the ball where NE first touched it.
    Yeah looks like I was wrong. I was always told you couldn't muff the punt but could still fumble as normal. It never made much sense to me and now I know why.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    How would you know?

Anyway, It is kind of a crazy rule - or rather circumstance that requires such a rule. And Chan's visions of disaster aside, I kinda like the nerve and confidence of Hyde to go after it and try to get yardage. Wonder what the coaches are telling him in the film room.
    Averaging number of times the rule has been brought to my attention after I complain about the call.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Yeah looks like I was wrong. I was always told you couldn't muff the punt but could still fumble as normal. It never made much sense to me and now I know why.
    It makes a little more sense if you think of it like this: when the kicking team touches a punted ball beyond the LOS it is illegal touching. That's the technical term, even though you don't see penalty flags come out when it happens (unless the first toucher was OOB). If the kicking team illegally touches but doesn't kill the ball, the receiving team will always have the option of taking the ball where it was illegally touched.

Yeah looks like I was wrong.....
    Sure, but you still have a valid point about risk - it's just that the risk is Hyde knowing for sure whether the refs saw the ball hit an opposing player.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Sure, but you still have a valid point about risk - it's just that the risk is Hyde knowing for sure whether the refs saw the ball hit an opposing player.
    Not much of a risk because it would be a turnover, and any turnover gets reviewed. There are enough cameras that would show a touch.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!