Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "Michael John McCarthy is one of the great coaches in the NFL."

"Michael John McCarthy is one of the great coaches in the NFL."

Some of us have been saying it for a while. We are spoiled to have M3. This nugget in MMQB (http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/01/patrio...nfl-week-13/7/)

This lead from our Greg Bedard of The MMQB, from his piece that we’ll have up later today, about it being time to appreciate Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy: “As far as the customary post-game handshake between coaches, New England’s Bill Belichick usually goes with the less-is-more approach, especially after close losses like Sunday’s 26-21 defeat at the hands of the Packers. That’s why it was so significant that at Lambeau Field, Belichick and McCarthy embraced, and then Belichick spent several seconds talking to McCarthy, with a few headshakes mixed it for emphasis. Translation: ‘That’s a damn fine football team you have that was hell to prepare and play against. You guys do a great job.’ It certainly helps that the two teams are in different conferences and only meet once every four years (if McCarthy was in the AFC East, it wouldn’t happen regularly, if at all), but that should not diminish the symbolism of the moment. It certainly wasn’t lost on me, someone who has covered both men up close in my career. Here was Belichick, certainly the best coach in the NFL today, if not ever, clueing us all on this fact: Michael John McCarthy is one of the great coaches in the NFL. And it’s time for everyone to regard him as such.”
    It's time to recognize.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Some of us have been saying it for a while. We are spoiled to have M3. This nugget in MMQB (http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/01/patrio...nfl-week-13/7/)

It's time to recognize.
    Not sure I agree, he sometimes appears to make boneheaded decisions, but if he gets us another superbowl this year, I will convert...

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    Another Super Bowl will elevate both Rodgers and MM to the next level. One Super Bowl is great but tons of coaches and QB's have done that.

Here' Bedard's article: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/01/mike-m...n-bay-packers/

There is a certain segment of the Packers’ fan base that compares all who follow to Vince Lombardi and think world championships are a birthright. They will not give McCarthy his due until he adds another Super Bowl ring to his résumé, and even that might not be good enough.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

He deserves that and more. But no one tell him and mess up what is currently working.

Does everyone realize we still haven't heard his contract numbers yet? Does that happen anymore?

Or did I just miss it?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

mehcarthy coached one of his best games yesterday. no complaints.

Nah, he's just a fat idiot who is riding the coattails of Favre and Rodgers

In reality, MM has been underappreciated by NFL fans and especially Packer fans for a number of years. Dude is an offensive genius and is normally on the front edge of innovation in the NFL. Recall the "Big 5" package and how MM was one of the first NFL coaches to heavily utilize this package and go to more of a spread offense in general. Yesterday was probably one of his best called games in a while: the use of Cobb in the backfield for the wheel route, the 3rd down play with Cobb and Lacy in the backfield with the fake to Lacy and quick out to Cobb.

He might stick with players or certain playcalling a little too long, but that's because he has conviction in what he is doing. And has been proven right more often than not.
    Go PACK

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    The thing about Stubby that's great is he doesn't care about any of the ancillary crap. he doesn't have the swelled ego that tells him he knows everything about personnel and the organization. The guy just wants to coach football, specifically the offensive side of it. And he's very good at it. One of his greatest attributes - his stubbornness can be his greatest flaw at times, but greatness isn't all or nothing. The only thing he needs to do to secure his place along side Vince as greatest coach ever is to coach a high school basketball team to a state championship.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I think all posters who refer to MMM as "Fat Mike" should be required to submit their own BMI number.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    MM seems like a person who does not forget where he came from. You also hear about coaches/players who talk about being dogged by the losses more than basking in the victories. Need a little humble pie if you are MM? Then read this: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=330112025

It would be nice to have another home playoff game against them this year and finally get that monkey off their collective back.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

He called a great game Sunday, no stupid gadget plays or ill advised challenges. However I am not ready to forgive stubby for all his bone headed shit yet, I'm sure sometime yet this season he will revert. Especially when a game does not go according to how he has it scripted.

When it works, he called a great game, kept the opponent off balance and was unpredictable. When it doesn't work, he called too many stupid gadget plays.

No one is perfect. I would bet most Patriots fans today think Belichik blew it, and with the defense shutting out the Packers in the red zone, the game was there to be won, if he would have used Gronkowski more, ran more, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post

It's time to recognize.
    Recognize Mike McCarthy for what!? Doesn't he already get enough sand pounded up his ass? Mike McCarthy is obviously a very solid Head Coach. He should have a solid winning percentage coaching Brett Favre and now Aaron Rodgers. Two certain HOFers.

I want to see if he can coach the team to another Super Bowl before I elevate his status to 'One Of The Best'.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Recognize Mike McCarthy for what!? Doesn't he already get enough sand pounded up his ass? Mike McCarthy is obviously a very solid Head Coach. He should have a solid winning percentage coaching Brett Favre and now Aaron Rodgers. Two certain HOFers.

I want to see if he can coach the team to another Super Bowl before I elevate his status to 'One Of The Best'.
    Agreed.

Btw, McCarthy hasn't done shit in the playoffs since SB 45. Many times he was outcoached.
    Last edited by Tyrion Lannister; 12-01-2014 at 05:41 PM.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    MM is constantly disrespected by Packer fans. Terms like stubby and fat Mike are meant to disparage him.

GB is lucky to have a coach like MM.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    MM is constantly disrespected by Packer fans. Terms like stubby and fat Mike are meant to disparage him.

GB is lucky to have a coach like MM.
    I think Stubby and Fat Mike are terms of endearment.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    I think Stubby and Fat Mike are terms of endearment.
    My ass they are.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

He's fat and he never makes halftime adjustments. Bring back Mike Sherman

Rat Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I think all posters who refer to MMM as "Fat Mike" should be required to submit their own BMI number.
    Lets start with Red .

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    My ass they are.
    I can only speak for myself. I think he's a great coach. Like Rand said, his stubbornness is a quality that's both good and bad. I used to criticize him for advocating the running game but not rushing the ball, even when we had Grant. Now my only complaint about him is his ill-advised challenges and inconsistent game management.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers