Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: "Michael John McCarthy is one of the great coaches in the NFL."

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I think all posters who refer to MMM as "Fat Mike" should be required to submit their own BMI number.
    I think all posters should submit their blood alcohol level to... ... Oh well, never mind.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Brings to mind an obvious question: If McCarthy should retire before Thompson, who do you want him to hire as successor to Mike the 3rd?

Mike Smith
    Mike Tomlin
    Mike McCoy
    Mike Pettine
    Mike Zimmer
    Mike Trgovac (DL-Packers)
    Mike Nolan (DC-Falcons)
    Mike Tice (OL-Falcons)
    Mike Devlin (OL-Jets)
    Mike McDaiel (WR-Browns)
    Mike Munchak (OL-Steelers)
    Mike Vrabel (LB-Texans)
    Mike Gillhamer (DB-Colts)
    Mike Rutenberg (aDB-Jags)
    Mike Mallory (ST-Jags)
    Mike Mularkey (TE-Titans)
    Mike Sullivan (aOL-Titans)
    Mike Pope (TE-Cowboys)
    Mike Dawson (aDL-Eagles)
    Mike Groh (WR-Bears)
    Mike Priefer (ST-Vikes)
    Mike Shula (OC-Panthers)
    Mike Neu (QB-Saints)
    Mike Phair (aDL-Bucs)(brother of Liz?)
    Mike Caldwell (LB-Cards)
    Mike Waufle (DL-Rams)
    Mike Solari (OL-49ers)

And that's just the pro ranks. Someone needs to find the 97 potential Mike HCs in the FBS Subdivision.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Mike Shanahan?
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Mike Shanahan?
    FUCK NO!
    C.H.U.D.

By the way, if Mike Holmgren came back to Green Bay, would he be Mike the 1st, Mike the 4th or Mike the 5th (1st plus 4th)?

By the way, if Mike Holmgren came back to Green Bay, would he be Mike the 1st, Mike the 4th or Mike the 5th (1st plus 4th)?
    That would make him the Grover Cleveland of Packer Mike coaches. Ol' Grover was the 22nd and 24 President.

Come to think of it, they kind of look alike.
    Last edited by Joemailman; 12-01-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Recognize Mike McCarthy for what!? Doesn't he already get enough sand pounded up his ass? Mike McCarthy is obviously a very solid Head Coach. He should have a solid winning percentage coaching Brett Favre and now Aaron Rodgers. Two certain HOFers.

I want to see if he can coach the team to another Super Bowl before I elevate his status to 'One Of The Best'.
    So, if that's the standard, is anybody other than Belichick and Coughlin "One Of The Best"? They are the only active coaches with more than 1 Lombardi Trophy. There are only 7 active head coaches with a Lombardi Trophy.

Mike Shanahan?
    Dammit!

Mike Shanahan
    Mike Smith
    Mike Tomlin
    Mike McCoy
    Mike Pettine
    Mike Zimmer
    Mike Trgovac (DL-Packers)
    Mike Nolan (DC-Falcons)
    Mike Tice (OL-Falcons)
    Mike Devlin (OL-Jets)
    Mike McDaiel (WR-Browns)
    Mike Munchak (OL-Steelers)
    Mike Vrabel (LB-Texans)
    Mike Gillhamer (DB-Colts)
    Mike Rutenberg (aDB-Jags)
    Mike Mallory (ST-Jags)
    Mike Mularkey (TE-Titans)
    Mike Sullivan (aOL-Titans)
    Mike Pope (TE-Cowboys)
    Mike Dawson (aDL-Eagles)
    Mike Groh (WR-Bears)
    Mike Priefer (ST-Vikes)
    Mike Shula (OC-Panthers)
    Mike Neu (QB-Saints)
    Mike Phair (aDL-Bucs)(brother of Liz?)
    Mike Caldwell (LB-Cards)
    Mike Waufle (DL-Rams)
    Mike Solari (OL-49ers)
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    So, if that's the standard, is anybody other than Belichick and Coughlin "One Of The Best"? They are the only active coaches with more than 1 Lombardi Trophy. There are only 7 active head coaches with a Lombardi Trophy.
    I'm referring to ' One Of The BEST ' ALL TIME NFL Head Coach's.

Today he would rank as one of the BEST HC's in the NFL. He has an excellent Regular Season winning percentage.

Mike McCarthy hasn't shown us much since our last Super Bowl in the post season. Please check that out.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

McCarthy deserves major applause after his performance in compiling and executing a gameplan capable of catching perhaps the greatest coach of all time on his heels at times. Too often, McCarthy has come up small in big moments following his successful championship run. He has allowed himself to become stale and predictable. Not this time. Starting with the bye week, McCarthy and his coaching staff have successfully navigated the defense from being porous to being proud. McCarthy has found ways to give all the talent at the offensive skill positions a chance to show their mettle. He managed and massaged egos during several crucial roster shakeups...and the team appears to be stronger for it.

McCarthy still has some things to prove. He has the opportunity to guide this team to a #1 seed...with a trip to the Super Bowl well within reach. This is not an opportunity that a great coach will waste. Based on this week's performance, it doesn't appear that McCarthy is going to let that happen. Belichick doesn't give out fake praise...he went out of his way to praise the Packers, especially the coaching staff. Hoodie knew he was out coached on this occasion...and in all the years he has been coach of the Patriots, that reality has not been apparent to him very often.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    GB is lucky to have a coach like MM as long as he isn't challenging a call on the field.
    Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    I'm referring to ' One Of The BEST ' ALL TIME NFL Head Coach's.

Today he would rank as one of the BEST HC's in the NFL. He has an excellent Regular Season winning percentage.

Mike McCarthy hasn't shown us much since our last Super Bowl in the post season. Please check that out.
    Fair enough. Since the premise of the article was (I believe) that MM is one of the best coaches currently in the NFL, I thought that's what you were questioning. I don't think there is really anyone trying to suggest that he is one of the greatest coaches of all time. Not yet.

Only an idiot would argue that McCarthy isn't one of the 5 best coaches currently in the NFL. He's won almost 2/3 of his games. The guy has a track record of amazing success as an offensive mind and QB guru going back to his days at Kansas City. Rich Gannon was written off until McCarthy coached him in KC and laid the groundwork for his amazing late career resurrection in Oakland. Aaron Brooks' short lived success in the NFL was probably mostly due to McCarthy. In an NFL where the QB is paramount, McCarthy is probably the gold standard currently in terms of raising the level of play of his QBs.

Or at least Matt Flynn's bank account says so.

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    McCarthy deserves major applause after his performance in compiling and executing a gameplan capable of catching perhaps the greatest coach of all time on his heels at times. Too often, McCarthy has come up small in big moments following his successful championship run. He has allowed himself to become stale and predictable. Not this time. Starting with the bye week, McCarthy and his coaching staff have successfully navigated the defense from being porous to being proud. McCarthy has found ways to give all the talent at the offensive skill positions a chance to show their mettle. He managed and massaged egos during several crucial roster shakeups...and the team appears to be stronger for it.

McCarthy still has some things to prove. He has the opportunity to guide this team to a #1 seed...with a trip to the Super Bowl well within reach. This is not an opportunity that a great coach will waste. Based on this week's performance, it doesn't appear that McCarthy is going to let that happen. Belichick doesn't give out fake praise...he went out of his way to praise the Packers, especially the coaching staff. Hoodie knew he was out coached on this occasion...and in all the years he has been coach of the Patriots, that reality has not been apparent to him very often.
    Good post. Repped.

I too was amazed at the overwhelming praise from Bill Belichick in his post game presser.

I had to pinch myself over that reaction from Hoody Genius.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Agreed.

Btw, McCarthy hasn't done shit in the playoffs since SB 45. Many times he was outcoached.
    How can you tell when someone is "out-coached" as opposed to players not executing?

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    How can you tell when someone is "out-coached" as opposed to players not executing?
    One of the questions I've always had is: when is poor execution on the part of the players a reflection of poor coaching? I thinks the two are pretty well intertwined.

Big-boned Mike is a solid coach and there have been times I've been down right enamored by him. One of the traits which I really like about him is his leadership but there are times when he's a rigid and prone to brain farts.

The potential is there for him to cement his legacy this season and I hope he does so.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Brings to mind an obvious question: If McCarthy should retire before Thompson, who do you want him to hire as successor to Mike the 3rd?
    Ditka!

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Best Mike available. Trust the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Ditka!
    Hahahahaha

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I see your Mike and raise you a pair; too much Mularkey?

or get caught looking at Melissa Stark's pair...

Eyes up here, pal!
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan