View Poll Results: What punishment, if any, should the league administer to Broncos LB Von Miller?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • BLOODSPORT! No fine or suspension!

0 0%
  • MEH! It was a nasty hit, fine him and make it count!

9 56.25%
  • YEESH! A 1-game suspension is warranted for that hit.

7 43.75%
  • Miller should get a multi-game suspension for trying to harm/injure another player.

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: League mulls suspension for LB Von Miller. What's your take?

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    FIFY
    Repeated hits to and with the head cause CTE

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Repeated hits to and with the head cause CTE
    This just shows you care more about Miller than Smith. Hater.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Those kinds of hits were always cheap shots....it really doesn't mater if they were called or not. He could have held up and not drilled him directly in the spine.

I understand being competitive and the benefits the defense gets from sacking or hurrying the QB...but there is no need for that. I don't want to see Smith or anyone else paralyzed or killed because of a deliberate shot like that. It's dangerous enough out there already.

That said fine him but no suspension.
    C.H.U.D.

Derp.
    C.H.U.D.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    +1
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Without putting to stop to hits like this, the lawyers really will destroy football.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    1974:

Great hit, man! That'll make that QB think twice next time he drops back to pass!

2014:

Fine him and suspend him for a game.
    1964: You let up and didn't drive through into the ground. He'll stand back there all day if you don't put a better hit on him.

1974: Hits like this do not cause brain damage.

2014: Hits like this do cause brain damage.

1974: I think he took a big hit to the mellon!

2014: This hit causes brain damage.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Without putting to stop to hits like this, the lawyers really will destroy football.
    It's happened before. This from Wikipedia:
    Early [football] games appear to have had much in common with the traditional "mob football" played in England, especially on Shrove Tuesday when they used a lemon instead of a ball. The games...remained largely "mob" style games, with huge numbers of players attempting to advance the ball into a goal area, often by any means necessary. Rules were simple, violence and injury were common. The violence of these mob-style games led to widespread protests and a decision to abandon them. Yale, under pressure from the city of New Haven, banned the play of all forms of football in 1860, while Harvard followed suit in 1861.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

2024: Yes, I got your flag! In your face!!!

Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    2024: Yes, I got your flag! In your face!!!
    winner!

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

yes, that fully captures both the agony and ecstasy, depending on your perspective.

Give the guy a real consequence - a game suspension. I don't like that cheap shit, doesn't do anything for the game.

To those who think it should just be a fine, how much would you fine a guy making over 5 mil per year?

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Those kinds of hits were always cheap shots....it really doesn't mater if they were called or not. He could have held up and not drilled him directly in the spine.

I understand being competitive and the benefits the defense gets from sacking or hurrying the QB...but there is no need for that. I don't want to see Smith or anyone else paralyzed or killed because of a deliberate shot like that. It's dangerous enough out there already.

That said fine him but no suspension.
    Yep. And leading with the head used to be handled on the field by the players. Its a relatively recent development that using the helmet to hit players with has become acceptable. And it was snuck in largely as a method to cause turnovers. The Bears under Lovie are proof there are better ways to do this.

If the game actually had a commish and not a weather vane, he would take this to the coaches and walk the helmet hitting back to 1972 levels.

Then he would increase spacing on the LOS since the one known area where CTE is likely to develop is with repeated sub-concussive hits with players along the LOS. Make the neutral zone wider and increase spacing between lineman.

High Schools should allow the A-11 again and then let the coaches fiddle with it.

But the Doppler 3000 in charge is worried about hits that make replays.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    1964: You let up and didn't drive through into the ground. He'll stand back there all day if you don't put a better hit on him.
    I'd be willing to trade the helmet hits for the drive into the ground ones.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    To those who think it should just be a fine, how much would you fine a guy making over 5 mil per year?
    Marshawn Lynch got fined a total of $110 K for being quiet for not saying a word.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Marshawn Lynch got fined a total of $110 K for being quiet for not saying a word.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/1...chiefs-broncos

Travis Kelce's amazing response to the hand motion he made after Von Miller's late hit

By: Joel Thorman  @JoelThorman on Dec 1 2014, 7:56 AM

That gesture wasn't cool on Travis Kelce's part. It might be interpreted as worthy of a fine?
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...bscene-gesture

Fines roundup: Kelce docked $11K for obscene gesture

By Marc Sessler ... Around the NFL Writer

Published: Dec. 5, 2014 at 03:38 p.m. ... Updated: Dec. 5, 2014 at 07:05 p.m.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

They... didn't even fine Miller... WTF??

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    1974: Hits like this do not cause brain damage.

2014: Hits like this do cause brain damage.
    1974...nobody's conceiving of lawsuits later on. It's football.

2014...player safety are the buzz words; future lawsuits are likely the real concern.

Sit him a game, fine him and send him a note saying keep your head up and you'll see that the QB has already released the ball.
    Last edited by Carolina_Packer; 12-07-2014 at 07:13 AM.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan