Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fuzzy

Blog Entries

Fuzzy

Fred "Fuzzy" Thurston died today at age '80.

A mainstay at Left guard, Fuzz was one of the heart and soul guys for the Lombardi Packers.

Drink one for Fuzzy, I'm gonna have a shot of Crown right now for my boy.

(Hope he missed the ball game)

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Today's game probably finished him off
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Today's game probably finished him off
    I was thinking the same thing during the Game Day thread when the news broke. But he must have been heartened by Lang and Sitton.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat Veteran TravisWilliams23's Avatar
    R.I.P. Fuzzy. Find any picture of the Lombardi Packers sweep and you'll see 63 & 64 leading the way. Always loved to hear the old Packers tell the story of the team flying back from a conference winning game against Baltimore and Fuzzy leading the guys singing "He's got the whole world in His hands" and changing it up at the end to "We've got the greatest coach-in the world" and Vince just beaming with pride on the charter flight back to Green Bay.
    Read his book and no doubt he was a great all around athlete growing up and a proud Green Bay Packer.

That sucks, really sorry to hear that. I don't remember the dude since I was 5 when he retired and was a die hard vikings fan since birth. I do remember people talking about him and always in a positive light.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I was thinking the same thing during the Game Day thread when the news broke. But he must have been heartened by Lang and Sitton.
    Until Bulaga went down our O line played great. Rodgers had plenty of time back there 97% of the time and Lacy was getting good yardage. This is actually good news for us! If our O line could keep that bunch at bay they may be able to do the same thing again if we face Seattle and I can't see Rodgers playing that poorly again for a long time.

RIP Fuzzy. He was a sweet man.

Blog Entries
    I went to a banquet one time and Donny Anderson spoke. He gave a pretty run of the mill little speech that was kind of boring. After his talk, Danny opened up for questions. A guy got up and asked him if it was true that the vets on the Lombardi Packers were hard on him because he got big money for being a bonus baby. Anderson relaxed, smiled and said "Oh yeah, they were brutal to him and Grabowski". In fact, in one game he broke a long punt return for a TD and hardly anyone congratulated him. The thing that made him one of the boys was a product of Fuzzy Thurston.

In a key game, Anderson got in and the Pack was driving for the winning score. Then, to Anderson's horror, he fumbled turning the ball over. He went back to the bench, dreading the plane ride home. if they didn't congratulate him for a TD, what would they do if he cost the vets a win?

Donny sat on the bench with his head in his hands. miserable. Then he felt a hand on his shoulder. It was Fuzzy. "Calm down kid," he said. "You know what's gonna happen? The defense will hold 'em, they'll punt it to us and Bart will drive us back down. & we'll kick a field goal and win the game. Then we'll get on the plane and drink beer all the way back home".

And that's just what happened. Then on the plane ride, Fuzzy told the story of how miserable the rookie was on the sidelines and made a joke of the whole thing. That started the process of Donny being one of the boys.

Anderson spoke to fuzzy about the incident, Fred told him he just felt they had picked on Donny long enough.

That was Fuzzy Thurston. He couldn't stand to see people miserable and he always liked to have a good time.

He was a good dude and 100% Packer.

RIP Fuzzy. The Packers lost more than just a game today.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Thanks for that story KY.

This Altoona, WI product was a Packer through and through.
    For those that haven't read his autobiography, i'd recommend it.

RIP Fuzzy

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    I went to a banquet one time and Donny Anderson spoke. He gave a pretty run of the mill little speech that was kind of boring. After his talk, Danny opened up for questions. A guy got up and asked him if it was true that the vets on the Lombardi Packers were hard on him because he got big money for being a bonus baby. Anderson relaxed, smiled and said "Oh yeah, they were brutal to him and Grabowski". In fact, in one game he broke a long punt return for a TD and hardly anyone congratulated him. The thing that made him one of the boys was a product of Fuzzy Thurston.

In a key game, Anderson got in and the Pack was driving for the winning score. Then, to Anderson's horror, he fumbled turning the ball over. He went back to the bench, dreading the plane ride home. if they didn't congratulate him for a TD, what would they do if he cost the vets a win?

Donny sat on the bench with his head in his hands. miserable. Then he felt a hand on his shoulder. It was Fuzzy. "Calm down kid," he said. "You know what's gonna happen? The defense will hold 'em, they'll punt it to us and Bart will drive us back down. & we'll kick a field goal and win the game. Then we'll get on the plane and drink beer all the way back home".

And that's just what happened. Then on the plane ride, Fuzzy told the story of how miserable the rookie was on the sidelines and made a joke of the whole thing. That started the process of Donny being one of the boys.

Anderson spoke to fuzzy about the incident, Fred told him he just felt they had picked on Donny long enough.

That was Fuzzy Thurston. He couldn't stand to see people miserable and he always liked to have a good time.

He was a good dude and 100% Packer.
    Thanks KY.

A nice story about a nice man.

It was sad to learn yesterday that Frederick Charles "Fuzzy" Thurston (December 29, 1933 – December 14, 2014) passed away.

That's two of my favourites gone from this life in about two weeks with the recent passing of Montreal Canadian GREAT Mr. Jean Beliveau who was honoured with ' a National Funeral ' last week.

RIP "Fuzzy". A great Green Bay Packer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Thurston

Career highlights and awards:

6× NFL Champion (1958, 1961, 1962, 1965–1967)

AP 1st Team All-Pro (1961)

AP 2nd Team All-Pro (1962)

Packers Hall of Fame

All-American (1954), (1955)

GO PACK GO !
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 12-15-2014 at 07:43 AM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

"No one wants to be Fuzzy anymore".

RiP, Fuzzy.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-even...c-29e3b3651548

Fuzzy Thurston, legendary Packers guard, dead at 80

Posted 20 hours ago

Cliff Christl ... Packers team historian

Long Live the Green Bay Packers !
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

I must include this amazing Pic of Mr. Frederick Charles "Fuzzy" Thurston.

Mudder

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    I must include this amazing Pic of Mr. Frederick Charles "Fuzzy" Thurston.

Mudder
    Man, he looks like a badass in that picture!

KY, thanks for sharing that memory. I hope the Packers immediately add a helmet or uni-patch for the rest of the year in honor of one of the great ones from the Lombardi Packers.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

^ Repped.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    RIP - All the great post the old timers here have made about the man speak volumes towards what a great guy he was.

Great post, great story, KY.

He was Packer People, through and through.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries
    Hey, one last Fuzzy story, when will I get to tell 'em again with freddy gone?

Fuzz was the uncrowned and crowned drinking champion of the NFL when he played.

Nobody could outdrink Fuzzy altho many tried.

Hornung told of a drinking contest btw Fuzz and Fran O'Brien, a OT for the Skin who also owned a big bar in Washington.

Fuzzy Max and Paul got to the bar ahead of the Redskins. Fuzzy immediately went to the bar and ordered a beer. Max and paul tried to get Fuzz to pace himself. "Don't worry boys, I need a few beers to get warmed up", said Thurston.

The Skins arrived and O'Brien and Fuzzy started drinking. They started off with Martini's and moved to different drinks. After and hour or so, O'Brien started to slow down and Fuzzy was yelling at him to finish. At and hour and a half, Fran started to wobble. Slightly before the two hour mark, O'Brien was down and out.

The Packers were cheering, but one of 'em yelled that Fuzz had to drink one more drink than O'Brien. Fuzzy chugged his drink and jumped up on the bar doing push-ups!

The Redskins straggled out, but Fuzzy stayed at the bar with the boys and drank for two MORE hours.

He was a beauty

Wow. Training back in them days was different.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Hey, one last Fuzzy story, when will I get to tell 'em again with freddy gone?

Fuzz was the uncrowned and crowned drinking champion of the NFL when he played.

Nobody could outdrink Fuzzy altho many tried.

Hornung told of a drinking contest btw Fuzz and Fran O'Brien, a OT for the Skin who also owned a big bar in Washington.

Fuzzy Max and Paul got to the bar ahead of the Redskins. Fuzzy immediately went to the bar and ordered a beer. Max and paul tried to get Fuzz to pace himself. "Don't worry boys, I need a few beers to get warmed up", said Thurston.

The Skins arrived and O'Brien and Fuzzy started drinking. They started off with Martini's and moved to different drinks. After and hour or so, O'Brien started to slow down and Fuzzy was yelling at him to finish. At and hour and a half, Fran started to wobble. Slightly before the two hour mark, O'Brien was down and out.

The Packers were cheering, but one of 'em yelled that Fuzz had to drink one more drink than O'Brien. Fuzzy chugged his drink and jumped up on the bar doing push-ups!

The Redskins straggled out, but Fuzzy stayed at the bar with the boys and drank for two MORE hours.

He was a beauty
    Another great story

KY all this time I've posted and competed in the Pro Pickem' with you. I thought you were an older fella like myself.

You hung out with Tank !!? You ate pizza with him that his Mom made. WOW !?? Your actually a young trot?

Fool me once......

Seriously KY....I imagined somehow that you would be 25-30 years older than the member that once posted as Tank.