Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Fuzzy

one of the all-time favorite Packers. met him once at his little bar about 20 years ago. rip

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Unfortunately, Thurston's post-player days were marred by financial woes, much stemming from his failed "Left Guard" restaurant chain. A judgment against him from the early '80s was never paid, and with interest increased 10 fold until a few years ago when the IRS basically took everything he had, including his NFL Championship and Super Bowl rings and other memorabilia, which they then auctioned off.

As for his voice, he lost his larynx to cancer many, many years ago (I can't help but think of those photos of him smoking cigars).
    May Fuzzy truly rest in peace. No IRS either. Fuzzy lives on in Packers legend.
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2019,
    PackerRats Thompson D. Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2018,
    PackerRats Pick'Em 2016-17 Champ + Packers year Survival Football Champ 2017,
    Rats Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2013,
    Ratz Survival Football Champ 2012,
    PackerRats1 Yahoo Fantasy Football Champ 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Does inviting your father-in-law out to dinner with the family, ordering a strip loin, then ducking to the bathroom as the desert course is finishing up and the bill is coming count? I thought that was just teaching him to stay alert and on his toes!
    Only if you then take the money he leaves on the table, tell him it wasn't enough to cover the bill and that he has to wash dishes for the evening.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Hey, one last Fuzzy story, when will I get to tell 'em again with freddy gone?

Fuzz was the uncrowned and crowned drinking champion of the NFL when he played.

Nobody could outdrink Fuzzy altho many tried.

Hornung told of a drinking contest btw Fuzz and Fran O'Brien, a OT for the Skin who also owned a big bar in Washington.

Fuzzy Max and Paul got to the bar ahead of the Redskins. Fuzzy immediately went to the bar and ordered a beer. Max and paul tried to get Fuzz to pace himself. "Don't worry boys, I need a few beers to get warmed up", said Thurston.

The Skins arrived and O'Brien and Fuzzy started drinking. They started off with Martini's and moved to different drinks. After and hour or so, O'Brien started to slow down and Fuzzy was yelling at him to finish. At and hour and a half, Fran started to wobble. Slightly before the two hour mark, O'Brien was down and out.

The Packers were cheering, but one of 'em yelled that Fuzz had to drink one more drink than O'Brien. Fuzzy chugged his drink and jumped up on the bar doing push-ups!

The Redskins straggled out, but Fuzzy stayed at the bar with the boys and drank for two MORE hours.

He was a beauty
    Great story KY thanks for that.

I'm pretty sure it's a biologic impossibility to dislike any human with the nickname Fuzzy - especially one who can party like that!

His pulling mate, Jerry Kramer, gave the final eulogy at the memorial today at the Lambeau Field Atrium where hundreds of well-wishers honored his life.

“It’s impossible to explain the relationship you had with a guy for 55 years,” Kramer said, fighting back tears.

“Native son, loved by everyone in Wisconsin. He had a way to light up your life. We’re going to miss him,” Kramer said, and then finished with this: “Fuz had a helluva ride, a wonderful journey.”

Blog Entries

Blog Entries