Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15

Thread: MVP debate: Who's most deserving? A.Rodgers - JJ Watt - T.Brady - P.Manning - D.Murray?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Another article on Rodgers as the new Joe Cool (and the Packers new-age wco) from Chris Brown (smartfootball):

http://grantland.com/features/aaron-...coast-offense/
    Great article thanks for the link dy.

Most fans haven't yet caught up with the Packers' use of play packages referenced in the article - and the freedom McCarthy gives Rodgers to control (in no-huddle) and/or change the package based on pre-snap reads - making the conventional notion of "playcalling" obsolete.

There's an optimal play option on just about every play against whatever the defense shows if the team executes. Given Rodgers' Mensa-esque football IQ and freedom McCarthy has given him to use it, Rodgers has far more control over the plays that are run than McCarthy.

To say that McCarthy is a good or bad playcaller isn't relevant to the way the Packers operate - at least when Rodgers is on the field.

It does take the cat and mouse game to the next level though because at times I think defenses can show a specific look - and have a good idea about how the Packers are going to want to attack that look. I think this is more true when they want to run the ball. They'll run to the weakness of the defense consistently, and perhaps predictably, which is the right decision in theory but that tendency - to the extent it exists - can give the defense a quick step to overcoming it.

These guys did a piece on packaged plays a little while ago:

Jersey Al - ALLGBP @JerseyAlGBP ยท 10h 10 hours ago
    @smartfootball We took a look at #Packers packaged plays a week ago: http://ow.ly/GWX4I

And just to note, the first time I saw them mentioned as part of the Packers offense, it was smart football talking about the Read-Stick. Mesh with RB, watch OLB. If he committed to LOS, throw stick route to slot or TE. If he stayed in coverage, hand it off.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Love the Sig', PB.

Honestly, I thought packaged plays were standard in the NFL for years. Source: I was using similar concepts in Madden back in 2008 to rack up 80+ points per game on the hard mode (yes, that's tongue in cheek). I expected head coaches and playcallers to be on that stuff a long time ago. My football IQ isn't that high.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...vp-form-in-win

Aaron Rodgers limited, but still shows MVP form in win ( Over Dallas @ Lambeau Field ... Sun. 11 Jan. 2015 )

By: Chris Wesseling .... Around the NFL Writer

Published: Jan. 11, 2015 at 05:09 p.m. ... Updated: Jan. 11, 2015 at 11:27 p.m.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

That's nice, but they dropped one in Matt Ryan's lap a few years back, so frankly it does not mean much.

Aaron Rodgers is by far the obvious choice.

He still needs one more nod of approval. The AP.

He'll also receive that.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Green Bay Packers @packers

#Packers QB Aaron Rodgers is a finalist for the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award: pack.rs/2clw0