Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: MVP debate: Who's most deserving? A.Rodgers - JJ Watt - T.Brady - P.Manning - D.Murray?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    It all depends upon how you define MVP. Is it reserved for the player who is the most valuable to his team compared to all others or the one who played the best? In 2009 Drew Brees' numbers were better than P. Mannings but because his team missed the playoffs he didn't win it. Saints and other fans cried foul. Brees did win the OPOY that year.
    Ya, but we keep adding criteria/limitations that really aren't there.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Blowouts don't happen because of the QB.
    LOL. Then no one is responsible.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

But I thought it was all about wins, making the playoffs, and the fact that the QB is most responsible for all of that? (See all the arguments against the real MVP - JJ Watt).
    He is the MOP.

The bigger question is how on earth did the Cowboys assemble a functional D? They lost some of their better players and looked to be on track for an even more catastrophic year than the previous debacle.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

MVC: most valuable collective
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

HE was playing so darn well, or the TEAM was playing so darn well that they were blowing out opponents? Blowouts don't happen because of the QB.
    If you jump out to an early lead most of the time it is because the offense is clicking on all cylinders and the QB is the driving force almost all of the time. There were 6 games where we were scoring at a ridiculous clip before the Buffalo game. Yes, our D got turnovers but you still have to get points off these turnovers.

Well, it was pretty darn strange when Sanders and Favre got one award, too.
    Yes, but I don't think the award has ever been awarded to 2 players from the same team.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    If TEAM is so important in football, maybe the whole idea of an MVP is foolish and contradictory.
    Actually, I have always argued that. I think offensive and defensive performers of the year make some sense, because the questions to ask are reasonable. Who did their job the best? In that evaluation, the success of the team is not real important. Exceptional performers on bad teams merit consideration. We might not always agree on the answers, but at least there are real things to evaluate and compare.

But, "most valuable" is almost entirely subjective, and almost always eliminates from serious consideration everyone but QBs on playoff teams. Runningbacks and receivers have a long shot, but defenders need not apply.

Yes, but I don't think the award has ever been awarded to 2 players from the same team.
    Before Favre and Sanders, the same award had not gone to two players on different teams either, at least not the "official" award from the Associated Press. There is always a first time.

Antonio Brown: OPOY

If you jump out to an early lead most of the time it is because the offense is clicking on all cylinders and the QB is the driving force almost all of the time. There were 6 games where we were scoring at a ridiculous clip before the Buffalo game. Yes, our D got turnovers but you still have to get points off these turnovers.
    But it isn't a blowout unless the defense is also preventing the other team from scoring. We saw that all the time in the 1980s when Dickey, Lofton, Coffman, et. al scored at record paces, but couldn't even win, let alone get a blow out win.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    He is the MOP.

The bigger question is how on earth did the Cowboys assemble a functional D? They lost some of their better players and looked to be on track for an even more catastrophic year than the previous debacle.
    How? Tony Romo. Remember, it is the QB who is most responsible for a teams success, so improved play from the defense must be because of the quarterback.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Actually, I have always argued that. I think offensive and defensive performers of the year make some sense, because the questions to ask are reasonable. Who did their job the best? In that evaluation, the success of the team is not real important. Exceptional performers on bad teams merit consideration. We might not always agree on the answers, but at least there are real things to evaluate and compare.

But, "most valuable" is almost entirely subjective, and almost always eliminates from serious consideration everyone but QBs on playoff teams. Runningbacks and receivers have a long shot, but defenders need not apply.
    It's all vanity and pandering to fans, if you ask me. It's like giving Oscars to actors. The stats tell us pretty much who performed best in certain areas. Beyond that, I don't really care.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    LOL. Then no one is responsible.
    ... or everyone is responsible.

... or everyone is responsible.
    even the janitor sweeping the halls of the atrium.

It's all vanity and pandering to fans, if you ask me. It's like giving Oscars to actors. The stats tell us pretty much who performed best in certain areas. Beyond that, I don't really care.
    hear, hear!

Oscars. - Great comparison!

MVP has always driven me a bit batty. When Favre was winning his, I often felt the Packers won in spite of Favre almost as often as they won because of Favre. Heck, in the same game they would win because of Favre in spite of Favre. Is that what an MVP should be? I sure don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    even the janitor sweeping the halls of the atrium.
    Yes, everyone contributes to the success of the organization. Now go out and do your part!

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    He is the MOP.

Like Watt, they mostly avoided the best offenses in the NFL. They played Philly only after Butt Fumble was in there.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

How? Tony Romo. Remember, it is the QB who is most responsible for a teams success, so improved play from the defense must be because of the quarterback.
    Momentum. Example. Leadership. Toughness.

I present to Tony Romo, the MELT award.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Oscars. - Great comparison!

MVP has always driven me a bit batty. When Favre was winning his, I often felt the Packers won in spite of Favre almost as often as they won because of Favre. Heck, in the same game they would win because of Favre in spite of Favre. Is that what an MVP should be? I sure don't know.
    Seriously Patler? The Favre bashing is beneath you. You felt the Packers won in spite of Favre during his MVP run? Really? That is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen you say. I can see you saying that of the Sherman era Favre...or the late career diva Favre...but not the MVP era Favre.

When Favre was winning his MVPs, he CARRIED the offense. His three year stretch during that MVP run was one of the most dominating periods a QB has ever posted. QBs didn't throw for 30 TDs back then. In 1992, when Favre began his career in Green Bay, the ONLY QB at that time to ever throw more than 40 TDs was Marino. The next closest guys were YA Tittle and George Blanda at 36 TDs. The next QB within the previous 20 years was Fouts at 33. Jim Kelly and Warren Moon had just barely eclipsed the 30 mark in the previous few years. If you did eclipse 30 TD passes, it was usually because you had some significant All-Pro caliber talent at receiver to work with. Marino had Duper and Clayton. Kelly had Andre Reed. Moon had Givins, Hill, and Jeffires.

In 1995 and 1996...with skill position talent that was modest at best, and at times just plain crap because of injury...Favre tossed 38 and 39 TD passes. He accomplished this without the talented receivers Marino had...or Fouts had...or Kelly had. Hell, in the Super Bowl year, Brooks went down to injury...Freeman busted up his arm...Favre was throwing by the end of the year to a washed up Don Beebe and washed up Andre Rison. The most receptions any individual player had in 1996 was 56. And Favre threw 39 TD passes to whoever the Packers lined up out there.

And you claim that is winning IN SPITE OF FAVRE, Patler?

To say the Packer won in spite of Favre during his MVP years is an incorrect comment in the least...and more likely just a flat out dumb lash out to demean Favre.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!