Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Praise For Corey Linsley

Praise For Corey Linsley

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...he-2014-season

Linsley had not even taken snaps with the first-team offense as of mid-August. Suddenly, he was just days away from facing the unstoppable Seahawks defense.

Linsley turned in a solid game in the season opener against Seattle; the Packers' line troubles in that game were elsewhere. He built upon that performance each week until it was easy to forget that the man in the middle of the Packers offensive line was a rookie. Pro Football Focus ranks Linsley as the third-best center in the NFL—well ahead of Stork, not to mention veterans like Max Unger and Maurkice Pouncey.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Penn State used to be Linebacker U. I guess Ohio State has become Center U, with Nick Mangold and now Corey Linsley in the league.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Blog Entries
    Linsley's been really good and has the kind of brute strength and toughness you love in a center so that's awesome.

I do think it's a bit of a stretch for anyone outside of the team to accurately assess his performance against Seattle. You can see how well he blocked up the guy in front of him but the two guys next to him were likely covering for him a lot AND taking on the bulk of his reads and blocking/protecting calls. Without those guys he probably would have been a lost baby at that point.

The Pack is two times lucky with rookie OL replacing the expected starter twice in a row, first with Bakhtiari now with Linsey. Bulaga was anointed the starting LT before camp, same thing with Tretter at center, I believe. Both went down during TC and were replaced by rookies who were forced to start week 1, and have done very well.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Maybe TT knows line talent after all or is it things just averaging out?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    The Pack is two times lucky with rookie OL replacing the expected starter twice in a row, first with Bakhtiari now with Linsey. Bulaga was anointed the starting LT before camp, same thing with Tretter at center, I believe. Both went down during TC and were replaced by rookies who were forced to start week 1, and have done very well.
    Hopefully three times lucky (sort of, cuz Tretter aint a rook), because Tretter probably is gonna play for Beluga/ballrog/galaga/bulemia/bulaga this Sunday.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Hopefully three times lucky (sort of, cuz Tretter aint a rook), because Tretter probably is gonna play for Beluga/ballrog/galaga/bulemia/bulaga this Sunday.
    He just doesn't care about the O line at all, you are just fooling yourself with your kook-aid drinking and sunny D optimism.

Were Bach, Barclay, Tretter or Linsley a first round pick? No.

I rest my case.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Not to toot my own horn, well okay yeah a little. I said in a thread or two this summer that not only was Linsley good but that he'd take the starting job away from Tretter. Now I suppose TT will just let him walk in a few years.

Bring in another tackle and the OL is set for the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Not to toot my own horn, well okay yeah a little. I said in a thread or two this summer that not only was Linsley good but that he'd take the starting job away from Tretter. Now I suppose TT will just let him walk in a few years.
    Tretter could still end up being their guy at center for the long term. Could be interesting to see what they do with the two of them next year. I wonder if either one is worth anything at another position?

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Tretter could still end up being their guy at center for the long term. Could be interesting to see what they do with the two of them next year. I wonder if either one is worth anything at another position?
    pb might be right, and this week-end we'll find out if Tretter is worth anything at RT. He'll be taking reps with the 1's this week, so he'll be much better prepared. Also, he won't have to deal with Williams.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Wear that #63 proudly and honor it with some great play, especially this weekend
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Tretter has more athleticism and I think he is taller. He is naturally more suited to Tackle, but those guys don't always make the transition to Guard well. I guess we will see.

Linsley has to be inside.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

Linsley has to be inside.
    Yep. I was shocked out of my socks that the Pack drafted him, but I do remember him filling in for an injured guard in college, so in keeping with Packer O-linemen strategy, he can play more than one position. But he's no Flanagan for sure.

Blog Entries
    Some wise men loved this pick and had noted he just might be our most productive rookie this year
    If I had time I'd have to go find some threads. It would be fun to bump the draft day thread to look back as well.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Some wise men loved this pick and had noted he just might be our most productive rookie this year
    If I had time I'd have to go find some threads. It would be fun to bump the draft day thread to look back as well.
    I'm watching the New Mexico Bowl, so I needed something else to do. I bumped the Official Day 3 2014 NFL Draft thread and you had a funny comment about Linsley.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Blog Entries
    Linsley has excelled in another area.

As a replacement on a couple levels.

He stepped in for Tretter, as noted in this thread.

He is really replacing EDS, who signed with Tampa Bay.

Who would you rather have, EDS at 7.25 million guaranteed or Linsley at the rookie minimum?

So, is Linsley the undisputed #1 C next summer? Tretter looked really good before he got hurt (That's an issue too). He can do some things in space better than Linsley. I think Tretter is more Mike Flanagan to Linsley's Scott Wells. Still, I know Arod would love to stop having to become acquainted to a new C, and seems to be squarely in Linsley's corner.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Yes, because TT has a history of letting extremely productive 26 years walk away.

First TT doesn't sign any free agents; now TT wont sign his own guys in their prime. Who plays for the Pack then?
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    So, is Linsley the undisputed #1 C next summer? Tretter looked really good before he got hurt (That's an issue too). He can do some things in space better than Linsley. I think Tretter is more Mike Flanagan to Linsley's Scott Wells. Still, I know Arod would love to stop having to become acquainted to a new C, and seems to be squarely in Linsley's corner.
    That, I think, will be interesting. There was an article, probably by McGinn, at the end of TC, with comments from scouts who watched Tretter play. They were glowing. One said it looked like TT had found a guy who would be a perenial all-pro. Another comment was that they already had Tretter doing things that very few centers are even capable of doing. One said GB might be able to do some uncommon things with him, making it difficult to prepare for them.

All based on preseason, I know, but interesting none the less.