Thread: Great Chuck Noll Story

Great Chuck Noll Story

From an Oral History of the 1974 Pittsburgh Steelers Chamionship team: http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/12/18/pit...cetype=default

John “Frenchy’’ Fuqua, Running Back: I’ve got a great Chuck story. In 1970, it’s the opening of Three Rivers Stadium. It’s the last exhibition game of the preseason and it’s Friday night, bed-check, 11 o’clock. I’ve got my eventual wife-to-be in the room with me and [a bottle of] Jack Daniels. Usually the assistant coaches did bed check. Not this night. Knock-knock. “Who is it?” “It’s Coach, John. Just want to check on you.” So I grab her and put her in the bathroom, then I go open the door and run back in the bed because I’ve got nothing but my briefs on.

Coach comes in and he’s got a damn album and headphones with him. He knows the stereo equipment I used to have and he comes in and says, “You mind if I listen to this song while I’m here?” And I’m saying, “Oh, s---.” He puts it on and puts the headphones on and I swear it was the longest four-and-a-half, five minutes of my life. He’s standing there and he’s listening to it, taking his time.

We had an exhibition game against the New York Giants the next day, and he said, “Well, you know we’ve got your former team, tomorrow.” And I said, “Yeah, I’m ready, Coach.” And he’s walking to the door, and man I’m sweating because the bathroom’s right next to the door. He passes by the bathroom door and he just stops, and I said, “Oh, s---.” He gets in the bathroom and I hear him pulling the curtain open and all he says is, “Young lady, you have to leave. The man has a ballgame.”
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

If Chuck really had game, he'd have told Frenchy that he'd let him off the hook if Frenchy would leave the room for an hour - but leave the girlfriend there.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    If Chuck really had game, he'd have told Frenchy that he'd let him off the hook if Frenchy would leave the room for an hour - but leave the girlfriend there.
    All for one ... one for all.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau