Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lions game studs and duds

Special teams has been 'ehh' lately. Particularly blocked set kicks and punting.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I'm sure they'll get that "cleaned up", but I'm not sure if we should use big or small letters. I have a feeling that if one of those foul ups costs the Packers a game in the playoffs, he'll have to consider replacing Slocum if you got 'em.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Ground Rat
    special teams will likely be the downfall of this team's super bowl hopes. Just terrible in practically every phase. that free kick fiasco was just the icing on the cake that illustrates how woefully unprepared that unit is because the coach is just the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers4Glory View Post
    special teams will likely be the downfall of this team's super bowl hopes. Just terrible in practically every phase. that free kick fiasco was just the icing on the cake that illustrates how woefully unprepared that unit is because the coach is just the worst.
    I tend to agree. This is some of the worst special teams play I have ever seen. I almost expect at least one kick a game to be blocked at this point. The gaffes in the last two kicks of the game yesterday were horrific. Not being able to fair catch a moonshot is unacceptable...and we nearly lost the traditional onside kick as well.

Teams should just always onside kick against us. They are probably guaranteed to recover almost half the time.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    except of course for the return TD, kickoff and punt coverage.

Saw Pittsburgh last night with 9 guys on the field to cover a punt. LOL, special teams...
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I heard somewhere that special teams are ragged all around the league this year. Not sure what's going on. I wonder if larger rosters would provide more continuity.

Ground Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    except of course for the return TD, kickoff and punt coverage.

Saw Pittsburgh last night with 9 guys on the field to cover a punt. LOL, special teams...
    Hyde has been good. how bout the KO coverage on the 41yard return after we scored and stole back the momentum??? Not sure how you equate 3 punts w/ 1 return as something to hang your hat on? in fact the punt was shanked. The penalty against the lions on that punt helped. indeed.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    I tend to agree. This is some of the worst special teams play I have ever seen. I almost expect at least one kick a game to be blocked at this point. The gaffes in the last two kicks of the game yesterday were horrific. Not being able to fair catch a moonshot is unacceptable...and we nearly lost the traditional onside kick as well.

Teams should just always onside kick against us. They are probably guaranteed to recover almost half the time.
    I still don't understand the rule applying to that moonshot... After a safety, do kickoff rules apply? Do punt rules apply? Or do some combination of both?
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Hyde has been good. how bout the KO coverage on the 41yard return after we scored and stole back the momentum??? Not sure how you equate 3 punts w/ 1 return as something to hang your hat on? in fact the punt was shanked. The penalty against the lions on that punt helped. indeed.
    Hyde wasn't just good on his return, the blocking overall was excellent.
    On the shanked punt, without the penalty, the starting line was the 20. That's not good, but not terrible either.
    On the 41 yard return, there was a block in the back not called. I think it made a difference.
    If you're looking to me as someone who think the Packer's STs are great, I'm not your guy. But they're not "Just terrible in practically every phase"
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    I still don't understand the rule applying to that moonshot... After a safety, do kickoff rules apply? Do punt rules apply? Or do some combination of both?
    Kickoffs and kicks after safeties are the two "Free kicks" and the same free kick rules apply - must go ten yards or touch opposition before kicking team can recover.

Kickoffs and kicks after safeties are the two "Free kicks" and the same free kick rules apply - must go ten yards or touch opposition before kicking team can recover.
    So, fair catch is allowed? And proper space must be given to allow player to make the fair catch? And if fair catch is made, can receiving team attempt an uncontested field goal from the spot of the catch?
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I heard somewhere that special teams are ragged all around the league this year. Not sure what's going on. I wonder if larger rosters would provide more continuity.
    I read that coaches are attributing it to the new limitations on practices. STs are getting less dedicated practice time, especially in pads, because coaches want to use the time on offense and defense. Also less time for coaches to work with the younger players, who often comprise much of the STs.

So, fair catch is allowed? And proper space must be given to allow player to make the fair catch? And if fair catch is made, can receiving team attempt an uncontested field goal from the spot of the catch?
    Yes to all. The difference is the kick. Onside kick hits the ground first and that changes everything (no fair catch available of course, but offense tips their hand). The kicker on the free kick after the safety can also choose to kickoff in traditional form without a tee (I assume someone would have to hold it for him).

Several Packers signaled fair catch, and would have been afforded the protections of a fair catch (because the ball didn't hit the ground first) but they didn't get to the ball and so it is a live ball, just like any kickoff.

Yes to all. The difference is the kick. Onside kick hits the ground first and that changes everything (no fair catch available of course, but offense tips their hand). The kicker on the free kick after the safety can also choose to kickoff in traditional form without a tee (I assume someone would have to hold it for him).

Several Packers signaled fair catch, and would have been afforded the protections of a fair catch (because the ball didn't hit the ground first) but they didn't get to the ball and so it is a live ball, just like any kickoff.
    Man, what a screwed up play yesterday. It almost seemed that Cobb was impeded getting to the ball. I can't remember yard marker, but if he could have fair caught it, Crosby would have had a free kick which would have iced the game.

I wonder if any of our players were aware of the rules. Or even the refs, for that matter.

Man, what a screwed up play yesterday. It almost seemed that Cobb was impeded getting to the ball. I can't remember yard marker, but if he could have fair caught it, Crosby would have had a free kick which would have iced the game.

I wonder if any of our players were aware of the rules. Or even the refs, for that matter.
    Refs definitely knew what was going on. Packers were confused, especially T.Will. If T. Will had called for a fair catch, there probably would have been a penalty for interference. Nelson and Cobb knew what was up, but they were too far away. I think Cobb reacted too slow, but as you say, there was a lot of trash in his way. Detroit played it really well. Kick the ball really high and start blocking like crazy - get that ball to hit the ground.

Refs definitely knew what was going on. Packers were confused, especially T.Will. If T. Will had called for a fair catch, there probably would have been a penalty for interference. Nelson and Cobb knew what was up, but they were too far away. I think Cobb reacted too slow, but as you say, there was a lot of trash in his way. Detroit played it really well. Kick the ball really high and start blocking like crazy - get that ball to hit the ground.
    In the end, it became a "teachable moment" instead of a fatal gaffe.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

I remember watching a game years ago, during the glory years. Lombardi had his kick returner fair catch a short kickoff. Hornung then kicked a free kick and scored a field goal...I believe to win the game. Come to think of it, that might have been after a safety. ...Damn, my memory is going to shit.

According to NFL Game Summary (PDF):
    S.Martin kicks 28 yards from DET 20 to DET 48. R.Cobb MUFFS catch, RECOVERED by DET-C.Vaughn at GB 44. C.Vaughn to GB 44 for no gain (J.Nelson).
    Two things:
    1) Apparently, Cobb's fair catch signal was recognized, else how could he muff it? But then interference with the catch should have been called;
    2) If Cobb could have caught the ball, Crosby could have tried an uncontested free kick which, if successful, could have won the game for sure.

I remember watching a game years ago, during the glory years. Lombardi had his kick returner fair catch a short kickoff. Hornung then kicked a free kick and scored a field goal...I believe to win the game. Come to think of it, that might have been after a safety. ...Damn, my memory is going to shit.
    In this case the Packers would have run the ball or kneeled.

The great benefit to the free kick/fair catch is that you can call a fair catch after the kick and get to line up a FG try without the clocking running at all.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

1) Apparently, Cobb's fair catch signal was recognized, else how could he muff it? But then interference with the catch should have been called;
    he didn't reach the ball. there was 'interference' but not illegal (penalty) interference. Just a lot of guys in the way.

2) If Cobb could have caught the ball, Crosby could have tried an uncontested free kick which, if successful, could have won the game for sure.
    Yep, but he probably would have missed it