Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Lions game studs and duds

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    MM should not delegate play calling. What he should do is can Slocum's ass!!!!

Slocum has one job and one job only. That they can't figure out a free kick after a safety is stupid and shows the ST Coordinator needs to go.
    If Stubby is such a genius playcaller, then he should hire an assistant to do nothing but time and game management. Maybe a Strategy Czar.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Memo To McCarthy: Please, no more empty backfield sets when your team in on the 1 yard line - and you have a battering ram like Lacy available.
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Memo To McCarthy: Please, no more empty backfield sets when your team in on the 1 yard line - and you have a battering ram like Lacy available.
    LOL. Some of his goal line playcalls have been pretty awkward.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Mike McCarthy got carried away there.

MM wanted to put the exclamation mark on Aaron Rodgers NFL MVP.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Kick yourself in the nads for saying something positive about that clown
    I'll leave the self abuse to Brad, thank you.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Jones, Hawk and a couple of other mobile non-skill guys are on the hands team to run interference. Their job is to knock the head off the guy running headlong into the scrum trying to recover the ball. They are the wedge of an onside kick.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I think both our players and the refs were surprised. I'm surprised this tactic isn't used more in this situation.
    Here's a good example/explanation of it: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap...-free-kick-huh Apparently it has its origins in rugby. I wonder if Slocum knows that rule. You'd think they go over all those scenarios. The Lions obviously tried to sky a free kick short to create a scrum. The Packers were obviously unprepared (sigh) for this situation. They needed to make sure to have designated hands guys at each level/line and on each side of the field to call for a fair catch, instead of the keystone cops drill we got the other night. It would have been so cool if MM was aware of this and took a shot at a field goal. It wouldn't have been blocked at least! The only down-side would be if Crosby misses it becomes like a kick-off, so you risk giving the ball back, which as it turns out is what the Packers ended up doing anyway.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    If Stubby is such a genius playcaller, then he should hire an assistant to do nothing but time and game management. Maybe a Strategy Czar.
    I can agree with this.

But also use Slocum's salary.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I can agree with this.

But also use Slocum's salary.
    That goes without saying. LOL
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I've wondered before if that is a separate persons job. If its not it should be for every team.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Does anyone know the rules on the Lions onside attempt? Could numerous players have waved for a fair catch? Could the Lions have slammed into any players not signaling fair catch in an attempt to disrupt the catch?

I'm not sure I have ever seen that play before.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    Does anyone know the rules on the Lions onside attempt? Could numerous players have waved for a fair catch? Could the Lions have slammed into any players not signaling fair catch in an attempt to disrupt the catch?

I'm not sure I have ever seen that play before.
    See post #67 above by Carolina Packer.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Who was the guy Mike Sherman hired to oversee replays and inform him on whether to challenge? It was a former HC, no?
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Who was the guy Mike Sherman hired to oversee replays and inform him on whether to challenge? It was a former HC, no?
    Don't know about Sherman, but Caldwell (rightfully so, it seems) used to have one
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Football Talk
    When Caldwell was the head coach of the Colts, Indianapolis hired former Ohio State head coach Jim Tressel solely to serve as an advisor on instant replay challenges.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    Don't know about Sherman, but Caldwell (rightfully so, it seems) used to have one
    When Caldwell was the head coach of the Colts, Indianapolis hired former Ohio State head coach Jim Tressel solely to serve as an advisor on instant replay challenges.

Sure, but that was kinda like "Work release" or a halfway house to ease Tressel out of football prison and back into polite society.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I want to agree, but Lacy, lately, hasn't been getting anything done in the double red zone (inside the 10). A lot of penetration has bothered him.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Sure, but that was kinda like "Work release" or a halfway house to ease Tressel out of football prison and back into polite society.
    Vince Tobin?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I want to agree, but Lacy, lately, hasn't been getting anything done in the double red zone (inside the 10). A lot of penetration has bothered him.
    Must... resist...
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.