Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Packers Trying to Sign Guion to Extension

Packers Trying to Sign Guion to Extension

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 33m33 minutes ago
    Nice scoop Demoski. RT @RobDemovsky: #Packers trying to lock up DT Letroy Guion long term. Negotiations have begun.
    http://es.pn/1y8n6rm
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

He was quite a find once he got in shape after missing most of preseason due to hamstring injury.

Blog Entries
    good sign as he fits our system nicely and was a freebee this yr at a cheap salary. Lock his ass up....oh...and Cobb and Bulaga too
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

It's amazing what playing for a contender does for a guy's attitude .
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Letroy Guion Stat's 2014:

TCKL 32; SACK 3.5 and FF 1

He was a nice pickup.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    good sign as he fits our system nicely and was a freebee this yr at a cheap salary. Lock his ass up....oh...and Cobb and Bulaga too
    Yeah, but they won't get all 3.

I think Bulaga is gone, unless they get him for cheap.

Barclay, anybody?

Cobb is #1 IMO. Gotta bring him back. Boykin's play, or lack there of, is actually helping Cobb's agent raise the price.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Yeah, but they won't get all 3.

I think Bulaga is gone, unless they get him for cheap.

Barclay, anybody?
    Disagree about Bulaga. He's still only 25 and damn good when healthy. Same with Cobb. Not so sure about Tramon. He'll be 32 in a couple of months. He's the one who will have to take less money if he wants to stay in Green Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Disagree about Bulaga. He's still only 25 and damn good when healthy. Same with Cobb. Not so sure about Tramon. He'll be 32 in a couple of months. He's the one who will have to take less money if he wants to stay in Green Bay.
    And I doubt Guion is going to break the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    And I doubt Guion is going to break the bank.
    Exactly. I agree about Tramon needing to take less even though he has outplayed Shields. I have no idea what to do about Bulaga. It has to come down to money because of the question of availability.

The Packers weekly active roster bonus feature that is now commonplace would work for him. The question is what the base would have to be. He can't get $8 million per year as a good RT without playing the majority of snaps.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Bulaga is a solid hand at RT, but he's at 3.8 mill. My post was about signing Cobb, Guion, and Bulaga. I like all 3 guys, but don't think they can shoehorn in all those contracts next season.

Tramon has really picked it up this year, but there's no way he ever achieves that huge contract again.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Bulaga is a solid hand at RT, but he's at 3.8 mill. My post was about signing Cobb, Guion, and Bulaga. I like all 3 guys, but don't think they can shoehorn in all those contracts next season.

Tramon has really picked it up this year, but there's no way he ever achieves that huge contract again.
    Will Guion really command that much? He made $1M this year, he'll go up from there but I see him signing a 3yr contract who's entire value will be less than Cobb will average per year on his new deal.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

2014 Cap hits of some guys who I think could be gone next year:

Tramon Williams 9.5 million
    A.J. Hawk 5.1 million
    Brad Jones 3.9 million
    B.J. Raji 4 million
    Jamari Lattimore 1.4 million

Total of about 24 million.

I think there's going to be room to sign Cobb, Bulaga and Guion. It would be unlike TT to let Bulaga or Cobb get away. Guys that TT drafts who turn out to be good players always get that second contract.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    2014 Cap hits of some guys who I think could be gone next year:

Tramon Williams 9.5 million
    A.J. Hawk 5.1 million
    Brad Jones 3.9 million
    B.J. Raji 4 million
    Jamari Lattimore 1.4 million

Total of about 24 million.

I think there's going to be room to sign Cobb, Bulaga and Guion. It would be unlike TT to let Bulaga or Cobb get away. Guys that TT drafts who turn out to be good players always get that second contract.
    I think Barrington makes the jettisoning of Hawk and Jones possible, along with the possible development of Carl Bradford, who is listed on depth chart as ILB. Lattimore might be a cheaper option that provides depth at that position. If Jones and Hawk are let go, look for the Packers to target ILB as a top or near top priority in this year's draft.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

We are likely going to have $18M-$19M in cap room to spend on top of where we stand now...on top of that you can roll over the $8M unused from this year. If you dump guys like Hawk and Jones, you can pick up another $7M. I think the team realizes they need to upgrade their athleticism at LB...I would not be surprised to see those guys get cut. Hawk played sparingly during the second half of the year...and the defense was better for it. Jones is JAG. You can't pay backups $4-5M a year.

So, we could easily have $32-$34M in available cap space. That is more than enough to sign all three guys if we want to.

Even though we have the space to sign all three, I think you have to let Tramon go. I'd rather keep Bulaga and Cobb. Tramon is reaching the point where his skills will diminish. How good will he be in non-contract years as he hits 33+ years old? He played great this year and will get a decent payday from someone. I hope it isn't Green Bay. I think we can find a capable replacement who is 25-28 years old on the FA market at a comparable price...plus draft someone as well.

I think you keep Bulaga because due to the injury history, you likely get a guy who can play at a Pro Bowl level when healthy at a cheaper price. We have the depth now to get through any minor injuries he has.

Cobb is a no-brainer. He's entering the prime of his career, and will be a 80-100 catch guy for the next 4-6 years that can also be an occasional matchup nightmare when he plays in the backfield. The question is only how you structure the deal.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    King, I'm in my option year with the Social Security Administration. Would you be my agent?
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Blog Entries
    Guion is the third guy. Tramon is only back here at a huge discount & somebody else will probably pay that. Joe's "cut list" looks OK. I'd keep Lattimore, but the others are about right. Cobb should break the bank and I don't know if TT will go as high as he can get. The WR market has a lot of brilliant names, Cobb may get enuff from the GBP to reel him in. With all those WR's out there, Cobb and his agent don't want to become Jennings II

I also think Peppers should take a pay cut as well....

Quote Originally Posted by ptisme View Post
    I also think Peppers should take a pay cut as well....
    Is that wist in your avatar?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    Is that wist in your avatar?
    lol
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck