Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 195

Thread: The 2015 " I just can't stay out of jail " Thread .

  1. #1
    Moose Rat HOFer woodbuck27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    27,236

    The 2015 " I just can't stay out of jail " Thread .

    http://blog.startribune.com/sports/a...rested-for-dwi

    Vikings CB Jabari Price arrested on DWI

    Posted by: Matt Vensel Updated January 2nd at 7:10pm
    * To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    * If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    * Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

  2. #2
    The standard penalty for DWI for 7th round special teams guys is getting cut. The announcement should come in a day or two, although since there season is over, they might see if this will blow over if they really like the guy.
    Fire James Campen!

  3. #3
    Moose Rat HOFer woodbuck27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    27,236
    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    The standard penalty for DWI for 7th round special teams guys is getting cut. The announcement should come in a day or two, although since there season is over, they might see if this will blow over if they really like the guy.
    OK.

    We're going to see all sorts of off season stuff like this. I thought it might be interesting to keep it all on one thread.
    * To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    * If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    * Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    We're going to see all sorts of off season stuff like this. I thought it might be interesting to keep it all on one thread.
    Yea, if there were a thread for each NFL person who gets arrested in the offseason it would get ridiculous around here. So here's another one:
    http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...r_gale_7.html\
    Bigger problem, since the guy was a captain and just signed a 4-year extension.
    Fire James Campen!

  5. #5
    Fact Rat HOFer Patler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    One foot in my grave.
    Posts
    18,645
    According to PFT, on 12/26/2014, the NFL had gone 40 days without an arrest. That was the first time since PFT started keeping track in 2007 that the 40 day mark was reached. Apparently the "record" now stands at 42 days.

    The article:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...o-nfl-arrests/

  6. #6
    Diplomatic Immunity Rat HOFer mraynrand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Outside the blender
    Posts
    30,023
    It would be nice if all the losers who constantly try to sell the meme that football players are more likely to be criminals, etc. would run, as a control, a side-by-side comparison to a random sample of demographically matched men.
    I'm kinda dumb, but I love you

  7. #7
    Fact Rat HOFer Patler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    One foot in my grave.
    Posts
    18,645
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    It would be nice if all the losers who constantly try to sell the meme that football players are more likely to be criminals, etc. would run, as a control, a side-by-side comparison to a random sample of demographically matched men.
    Hard to really answer that. How do you match them demographically, by their backgrounds, or by their current status of making roughly $250k/year to millions/year?

    There are around 2,000 currently "in the league" during the season, and another seven-hundred or so in the off-season. Throw in a few hundred part-timers and hangers on. So roughly 3,000 were part of the league at one time or another in 2014. It appears there were 48 arrests in 2014. So 1.6%?

    Are 2% of the highest wage-earners in the US arrested annually? Interesting question.

  8. #8
    Rat Starter QBME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    The Flatland
    Posts
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    It would be nice if all the losers who constantly try to sell the meme that football players are more likely to be criminals, etc. would run, as a control, a side-by-side comparison to a random sample of demographically matched men.
    Wouldn't that be a pretty hard match?

    Male
    21 - 32 (or so) years old
    2-5 years of college
    Full time employment
    $420,000.00 - $18,500,000.00 yearly income, plus benefits & perks

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    It would be nice if all the losers who constantly try to sell the meme that football players are more likely to be criminals, etc. would run, as a control, a side-by-side comparison to a random sample of demographically matched men.
    The rates have been found to usually be lower. But the demographic match, as Patler alludes to, is tough. They normally go with a similar age or age range. The Duke study below uses figures for 20 year olds.

    https://stat.duke.edu/~dalene/chance...23.nflviol.pdf

    http://sbronars.wordpress.com/2012/1...crime-problem/

    From an outfit who politics probably don't align with yours, here is an overview of those two links and some other material: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&gl=us&strip=1
    Last edited by pbmax; 01-05-2015 at 03:23 PM.
    Nobody in car culture ever understands that “they don’t make em like they used to” is survivorship bias.

  10. #10
    Moose Rat HOFer woodbuck27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    27,236
    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Yea, if there were a thread for each NFL person who gets arrested in the offseason it would get ridiculous around here. So here's another one:
    http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...r_gale_7.html\
    Bigger problem, since the guy was a captain and just signed a 4-year extension.

    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/saints-...6330--nfl.html

    Comment woodbuck27: This gets to the heart of the matter.

    Saints sack leader Galette arrested in domestic disturbance

    By BRETT MARTEL (AP Sports Writer) ...... 34 minutes ago
    * To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    * If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    * Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

  11. #11
    Diplomatic Immunity Rat HOFer mraynrand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Outside the blender
    Posts
    30,023
    buncha smartasses with the coin part. Try matching them with their peers who didn't make it into pro football. Duh.
    I'm kinda dumb, but I love you

  12. #12
    Diplomatic Immunity Rat HOFer mraynrand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Outside the blender
    Posts
    30,023
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    The rates have been found to usually be lower. But the demographic match, as Patler alludes to, is tough. They normally go with a similar age or age range. The Duke study below uses figures for 20 year olds.

    https://stat.duke.edu/~dalene/chance...23.nflviol.pdf

    http://sbronars.wordpress.com/2012/1...crime-problem/

    From an outfit who politics probably don't align with yours, here is an overview of those two links and some other material: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&gl=us&strip=1
    Yeah, I'm aware of the studies. The point is there is an agenda to making it look like NFL athletes are more likely to be criminals. The usual suspects lined up.
    I'm kinda dumb, but I love you

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Yeah, I'm aware of the studies. The point is there is an agenda to making it look like NFL athletes are more likely to be criminals. The usual suspects lined up.
    Perception can be skewed even without an overriding agenda. Things that make news often do so in part due to it not being a frequent event, but by making the news people perceive it as a more common event. Added to that you have the phenomena of people liking to see celebrity types knocked off their pedestals.
    Fire James Campen!

  14. #14
    Fact Rat HOFer Patler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    One foot in my grave.
    Posts
    18,645
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    buncha smartasses with the coin part. Try matching them with their peers who didn't make it into pro football. Duh.
    But are they the same as their peers who didn't make pro football, financially or environmentally? Are arrest rates the same among residents of affluent neighborhoods and those of inner city neighborhoods?

    Personally, I don't know if the arrests rates are higher or lower than whoever you compare to, and I don't care. All I would like to see is for pro athletes, entertainers, etc. to be treated the same as others, to the extent that is possible. For a while, they skated off easily most times. Now, I think the pendulum may have swung the other way, and players are getting fired on allegations, not convictions.

  15. #15
    Diplomatic Immunity Rat HOFer mraynrand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Outside the blender
    Posts
    30,023
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    But are they the same as their peers who didn't make pro football, financially or environmentally?
    who can tell? So don't even try to draw comparisons then. Why get hung up on differences in money then, if comparisons are null and void?

    I actually agree with you on the treatment part - try as much as possible to treat everyone the same when it comes to prosecution and sentencing. But that isn't how it works in practice - probably for the same underlying reasons as why people would think $$ are a uniform and overarching demographic characteristic.
    I'm kinda dumb, but I love you

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    who can tell? So don't even try to draw comparisons then. Why get hung up on differences in money then, if comparisons are null and void?

    I actually agree with you on the treatment part - try as much as possible to treat everyone the same when it comes to prosecution and sentencing. But that isn't how it works in practice - probably for the same underlying reasons as why people would think $$ are a uniform and overarching demographic characteristic.
    Even if studying it is problematic due to a small sample, finances are a huge part of a demographic. It has to be accounted for in some way, even if direct population study doesn't get you useful info at first pass.
    Nobody in car culture ever understands that “they don’t make em like they used to” is survivorship bias.

  17. #17
    Fact Rat HOFer Patler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    One foot in my grave.
    Posts
    18,645
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    who can tell? So don't even try to draw comparisons then. Why get hung up on differences in money then, if comparisons are null and void?

    I actually agree with you on the treatment part - try as much as possible to treat everyone the same when it comes to prosecution and sentencing. But that isn't how it works in practice - probably for the same underlying reasons as why people would think $$ are a uniform and overarching demographic characteristic.
    You were the one who asked for "a side-by-side comparison to a random sample of demographically matched men." All I have done is try to figure out who YOU want to compare them to. I didn't make any statements one way or the other about the frequency of arrests among NFLers.

    I'm not hung up on money at all. I simply asked if $ should be a factor for you in establishing the comparison you want. Money does determine where you can live, how you can live, what things you can do, where you can go. Great wealth also attracts "friends" you never knew you had.

  18. #18
    "Overall, Black Americans are arrested at 2.6 times the per-capita rate of all other Americans, and this ratio is even higher for murder (6.3 times) and robbery (8.1 times)."

    Source: FBI.

    http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...3/10tbl43a.xls
    Member of the DickRod fan club.

  19. #19
    Moose Rat HOFer woodbuck27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    27,236
    This post isn't about anything new but all the same I'll post this here:

    http://news.yahoo.com/final-pre-tria...8525--spt.html

    Final pre-trial hearing for Aaron Hernandez in 2013 murder

    FALL RIVER, Mass. (AP) —

    " Former New England Patriots star Aaron Hernandez is due in court for his final appearance before he goes on trial Friday for allegedly murdering semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd in 2013."
    * To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    * If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    * Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

  20. #20
    Jets LB Jermaine Cunningham gets in on this list:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...late-december/
    http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/20...nsporting.html

    It sounds like the main charge is something like sending out a naked picture of someone, but a "destruction of clothing" charge is a new one.
    Fire James Campen!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •