Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2015 " I just can't stay out of jail " Thread .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Suspension with pay should only be temporary and used in extreme cases (where another life has been put in jeopardy or such) and allow the League to do due diligence.
    The NFL says rape and child/spousal abuse are extreme enough for them - and I agree.

I agree that suspension with pay does negatively impact the player, but it is hardly adequate enough punishment to count as "time served" for these types of issues in the event of a legal finding of guilt - regardless of whether the legal system deems whipping a 4-year old child to the point of bleeding is a class A felony or simple misdemeanor. The issue for the league is the extent to which the situation risks blowing up in the media - and therefore in its face - if it doesn't act. And then if given the need for action, what is the least bad option among the slew of bad ones.

Waiting for the justice system to run its course is not a viable option at all, and taking the time to perform its own due diligence may not be either depending on the profile of the player and/or the purported crime. Either of those choices only exacerbates the public relations nightmare when it is put in these situations. Once awakened, the public won’t wait for due diligence – particularly by the global billion-dollar, market-fixing conglomerate. They not only won’t pay attention long enough to withhold judgment, but by definition the public doesn’t trust them in the first place. As a society, we're hungry to dis the NFL at any opportunity. Too rich, too powerful, too expensive. We'll pay it anyway, but bitch about it all day long while we eat up what they offer.

Immediate action - even if only a forced paid vacation - is necessary and warranted for the league to minimize the cost to it by issues that elicit such strong emotional public reaction (woman/child abuse) that quickly graduate from the local sports pages to the national nightly and weekly news - or perhaps worse yet - as was a potential risk in this case - becoming the dominant party-talk issue at all the Super Bowl parties throughout the world.

The lesser of the evils (suspension with pay vs. wait and risk widespread public perception of inaction/distrust/”not caring” about women, children among a bunch of powerful violence-feeding barbarians/etc.) is pretty clear in my view. Hardcore fans like you guys who are engaged enough to concern themselves with performance/workout bonuses and whether the NFL has any obligation to perform due diligence in the first place (it doesn’t - unless agreed to by contract) are one in a million relative to the short-attention-span, judgment-rushing, women and children-loving, Super Bowl watching - public at-large. If the league doesn’t do something quickly, it might as well have raped the women and whipped the kids itself in the minds of the buying public.
    Last edited by vince; 01-17-2015 at 05:51 PM.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Once awakened, the public won’t wait for due diligence – particularly by the global billion-dollar, market-fixing conglomerate. They not only won’t pay attention long enough to withhold judgment, but by definition the public doesn’t trust them in the first place. As a society, we're hungry to dis the NFL at any opportunity. Too rich, too powerful, too expensive.
    But ultimately, it's not up to the NFL. It's in control of the agitators and public opinion. The NFL has made that much pretty clear.
    If the league doesn’t do something quickly, it might as well have raped the women and whipped the kids itself in the minds of the buying public.
    This image is being promulgated by the anti-NFL forces, and they are loud and aggressive activists/agitators.

If I were a typical NFL player, I'd be pretty pissed that the NFL is bending over (!) to pressure groups that at this point are essentially treating all NFL players as rapists in waiting.

But, is the NFL really all that expensive? Almost everyone has some form of cable other services beyond 'broadcast' and there are lots of games available. The Sunday Ticket is expensive - several hundreds/season, but you get all the games. If you really like football that much, it's a total score and value. Going to games is expensive, but actually not even - it only depends on certain games and certain stadiums. For a large percentage of games, you can get in relatively inexpensively. (and you can almost always get a reduced price ticket in the first quarter). Depends on what you want to spend your money on. Our family treats it as a vacation expense. And really, if you are traveling to a game over several hundred miles, it makes sense, because it's an investment of a couple of days. Sure, it's not as expensive as dropping on on one of 81 home baseball games, but given the popularity and demand, what do you expect.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I agree that suspension with pay is not enough for certain transgressions. But it is not a catch all for a proper punishment. It should only be used temporarily to do due diligence. To be consistent in the application of justice. No one is ever going to agree on the proper level of punishment, but certain facts must be ascertained and evaluated and some kind of ranking must be done. Then a punishment meted out that includes the time served on suspension with pay according to a known schedule.

If you repeatedly follow your own rules, you immediately reduce the number of complaints by more than half. Wouldn't it help the NFL if the players were behind the policy they way they are on PEDs? And if the League did this for a number of years, it could collect something known as data and determine whether this was working or not and tweak it based on actual evidence rather than who gets more airtime on Mike and Mike and First Take.

I don't agree that "activists" are pushing this on the League. The League is trying to avoid this hitting the 6 O'clock news and hurting its reputation. And its most concerned, as vince pointed out, not with me but with more marginal viewers, most of whom are women. The only way that rep gets hurt is if the NFL appears to have no idea what to do, or has a crisis, which is exactly the situation when Goodell first formulated this idiotic policy in 2007, but is only half true now.

For years baseball was able to leave punishment to the League Presidents and no one cared because they were predictable, everyone knew what the rules were. Goodell is just collecting authority, he still doesn't have a plan.

They are 20 years behind other large firms and corporations in how they deal with this. Probably because they have very few female employees, so the issue was not often raised internally and the issue was less likely to hit their radar within their own ranks.

Once you have a policy and a track record of using it effectively and making changes based on actual results, they you no longer are vulnerable to activists or the media, you become an authority on how not to simply accept domestic violence among your workforce as inevitable. And the players accused have access to some due process and for the love of Pete Rozelle, an actual independent Appeals process.
    Last edited by pbmax; 01-18-2015 at 09:56 AM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Yeah I think everyone can agree there are no winners in these situations no matter what course is taken. A more formal and agreed upon policy would be good, as long as it doesn't hamstring the league depending on specific circumstances or which way the social winds are blowing over time. The popularity of the game is at an all-time high I'd say but pile a few major catastrophic events related to the violent physical nature of the game like increasing evidence of long-term brain damage to players, another Darrell Stanley/Barrett Robbins incident or two, along with declining youth participation...,

The NFL obviously leans overwhelmingly black relative to the population at large. Some civil unrest that spills into/involves the NFL and one or more high-profile players. Who knows what could happen but the league needs flexibility to protect itself and the huge financial benefits to playing are pretty strong motivators for the players to rally around while the temptation to leave those who find themselves in legal trouble to fend for themselves (It'll never happen to me) are probably overwhelming to the players as a whole.

Maybe a false indictment or a gross error by the league will change that but I don't think the Peterson situation even comes close to that.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...picion-of-dui/

Report: Colts LB Andrew Jackson arrested on suspicion of DUI

Posted by Mike Wilkening on January 24, 2015, 12:55 PM EST
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-and-assault/

Report: Warren Sapp arrested for solicitation and assault

Posted by Josh Alper on February 2, 2015, 3:25 PM EST

Comment woodbuck27:

This one deserves it's own thread. It's up there.

I'll likely not have to watch this creep anymore on the NFL network.

Isn't it something the way life gets around to fucking .... Fuckers !
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 02-02-2015 at 02:59 PM.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...m_campaign=nfl

D'Qwell Jackson Arrested: Latest Details, Comments on Assault Citation

By: Timothy Rapp , Featured Columnist ... Feb 4, 2015

Comment woodbuck27:

Am I just imagining that Indy roster players are having issues with the law more than players from other organizatons?

[QUOTE=woodbuck27;827218]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...m_campaign=nfl

D'Qwell Jackson Arrested: Latest Details, Comments on Assault Citation

By: Timothy Rapp , Featured Columnist ... Feb 4, 2015 [QUOTE]

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...d-to-kill-him/

Pizza delivery man says D’Qwell Jackson threatened to kill him

Posted by Mike Florio on February 5, 2015, 3:41 PM EST

Comment Woodbuck27:

What's all the fuss about road rage?

Parking lot rage is hell.

Nice one, Guion. Way to break the Packers' streak of no arrests:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...for-marijuana/
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Nice one, Guion. Way to break the Packers' streak of no arrests:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...for-marijuana/
    Ohh no !

BJ Raji may have just received some more leverage.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 02-04-2015 at 12:16 PM.

Ouch.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 27m27 minutes ago
    For those asking, it is a "felony" on the marijuana poss. In Florida, it's less than or more than 20 grams. Told "definitely" more than 20.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Ouch.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 27m27 minutes ago
    For those asking, it is a "felony" on the marijuana poss. In Florida, it's less than or more than 20 grams. Told "definitely" more than 20.
    An oz is 28 g. Guessing he had at least that much.

Dingbat should have chosen Colorado or Washington state for his herbal vacay.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    An oz is 28 g. Guessing he had at least that much.

Dingbat should have chosen Colorado or Washington state for his herbal vacay.
    Not trolling. Is an ounce a lot?

Its been a long time since college. I will say that college me would have looked at his booking photo and concluded "he is baked".

Not for someone with money and/or smoking buddies. Colorado law considers 1 oz or less to be personal use.

Its been a long time since college. I will say that college me would have looked at his booking photo and concluded "he is baked".

pbmax an ounce of weed is a lot for a recreational user!

When I look at Guion's booking photo I'm thinking two things up front:

a) He's rather a dashing young man in appearance and happier looking in his mug shot than Warren Sapp was in his taken just this week.

b) He won't be extended an offer by Ted Thompson to remain a Green Bay Packer.

Ohh yea and this:

He should have used more caution. Simply rolled a few joints for his sociable.

An ounce and Sociable (s) = Whoops !

geesh.

The last Packers arrest was Eric Walden in 2011.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Defense attorney:

" Well yea sure, yaa see. Leetroyy had all thaa money there on him and gun for his own protection.

Cause he was on his way to purchase more 'Mary Jane' for a really REALLY BIG party he has planned for friends. "
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 02-04-2015 at 06:40 PM.

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 37m37 minutes ago
    In addition to firearm and 357 grams of marijuana in his bag, #Packers NT Letroy Guion also had $190,028.81 in US currency, per the police.

Ok then. I have to think the Packers move on.