I never thought Aikman hated Favre, but I did suspect he didn't have much regard for his approach to the game tactically. It was all general blather, gunslinger, and rarely any insight into a position that the guy had played. Later, I suspect Aikman had not leaned the fine art of broadcast TV's "play the stars" angle, where everything from price of a beer at the stadium to traffic was affected by the QB or the star of that team.

Great play by play guys learn to tip their hat to the stars but make a point in addition to it. Once in a while, you got decent stories about hand size and how that affects QBs in adverse weather. But mostly commentary that wouldn't pass muster in a bar.

It just took Aikman time to get there. He does occasionally tell you something about being a QB you don't hear anywhere else.

I think KY nailed Buck's rep to the post. He is just doing a job, with good skills, but seems to take no joy in any of it. He father was a blast to listen to. Buck and Stramm used to do Monday Night Football on the radio and they were great.