Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad locker room in Miami?

Bad locker room in Miami?

I posted a line about Jonathan Martin walking out on the Dolphins in another thread, and at the time I was thinking his response to a 'prank' sounded a lot more like someone who is being teased and bullied.

Well, seems like that's the case. Stories are coming out now that his nickname was 'The Big Weirdo' and he's saying it's an abusive environment, the taunts and teasing involved his family.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rtin-in-miami/

Not a good scene. Philbin does not seem to be doing a good job of keeping his players under control down there at all.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

The last sentence of that article is kind of a bolt from the blue sky. I wonder if Martin is (or is at least perceived as) gay.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    The last sentence of that article is kind of a bolt from the blue sky. I wonder if Martin is (or is at least perceived as) gay.
    I think that part is just Florio's click-farming.

It sounds more like they were teasing him because he's nerdy. His parents are Harvard-educated lawyers.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

I wonder who the instigator is? There are some solid citizens in that bunch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    I think that part is just Florio's click-farming.

It sounds more like they were teasing him because he's nerdy. His parents are Harvard-educated lawyers.
    Yeah, I thought it was Florio at it again, too.

Kid went to Stanford, majored in the classics.

He's from North Hollywood, CA.

If he was from West Hollywood, there would be no doubt.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    This is the kind of adults we are raising...oh boo fucking hoo you got picked on for being different get the hell over it and make your millions and shut the hell up!
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    This is the kind of adults we are raising...oh boo fucking hoo you got picked on for being different get the hell over it and make your millions and shut the hell up!
    Imagine everywhere you went at work, your coworkers were taunting you and your family....for 6 solid months.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Imagine everywhere you went at work, your coworkers were taunting you and your family....for 6 solid months.
    18 months. The guy chose to stop taking shit after a year and a half. He got pissed off and left. I don't see anywhere that he whined to anyone in the media or otherwise about it. There aren't any really good details about what made him do so -- only speculation based on a few observations -- so no one actually knows the depth of what went on.

Does anyone remember any of this from last year during the Dolphin's Hard Knocks?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Im good with that if you are paying me $4.5 million to deal with it. Buck up buttercup, keep your head down and have your agent talk to the GM saying it is hostile to you there and you would quietly like to be moved. Dont make demands and dont run away. A Bully LOVES it when you run.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Im good with that if you are paying me $4.5 million to deal with it. Buck up buttercup, keep your head down and have your agent talk to the GM saying it is hostile to you there and you would quietly like to be moved. Dont make demands and dont run away. A Bully LOVES it when you run.
    So for $4.5 million, how many years would you volunteer to subject yourself to this?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

There is something odd in this situation. He is a second year player, so should be past the first year hazing. He was a 2nd round draft choice (not an "entitled" first rounder, nor a "low life" low round pick or FA). He is well-spoken, sounds normal in the link below from when he was drafted. Maybe the oddest thing to me is the kid has been a starter from the get-go. Started all 16 last year and their first 7 this year. You would think he would be appreciated among the other O-line, the offense, the team.

An interview from minutes after he was drafted:
    (the panel loved the kid's interview)

http://www.miamidolphins.com/multime...7-2f9deefcaf44

Blog Entries
    I dunno, 6 or 7 big fat greasy fuckers picking on you every day?

Might be a pretty tough sled.

His parents have $, maybe he just couldn't hack it anymore.

Remember, never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes.

That way, you're a mile away from him and have stolen his shoes.

Im good with that if you are paying me $4.5 million to deal with it. Buck up buttercup, keep your head down and have your agent talk to the GM saying it is hostile to you there and you would quietly like
    to be moved. Dont make demands and dont run away. A Bully LOVES it when you run.
    Yeah, but they love it when you "tattle". I'm willing to bet that he's talked to his agent about it and that the agent has broached the subject with the team. But if the team believes he's a good enough performer and they want him around, that may not be so easy and maybe nothing is getting done. So he escalated it with a "fuck off assholes".

But we don't know what the real story is. Maybe he really is just easily offended and this is the due course of NFL rookie hazing. Could be. There are only a few known facts attached to the case and now the "bullying" narrative has been spun by the media, so it's sending all speculation into the stratosphere because that appellation today has more baggage than Immelda Marcos.

One last thing: when you put a dollar amount on your dignity, you become a whore. Some people are fine with that. Some aren't. So it goes.

Polka Rat Starter
    I don't get it. The guy is a starter on their O line. If he's contributing better than anyone else they have at the position, what's the problem? They don't have to invite him to dinner or go to his house. I'm sure if we knew all the Packer players well, there'd be a few that seemed odd or even unacceptable by our personal standards. BUT .... At the end of the day it's about football and playing as a team. It's crossed my mind that It just may be that a couple of his team mates are the real wierdos.

Man's inhumanity to man.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    I wondered about that too. I can understand if he was getting rookie hazing but he's a second year player.

This would have been my approach as well, but I am over 40 and have some years under the belt. I was non confrontational as a young man and went from taking it to whooping some ass with nothing in between.

I can see his point of view. The team, teammates, no one wants to stand up and take my side so I will take my most valuable asset away to punish you....my play on the field.

Sadly I was more confrontational for others than for myself when I was young, I likely would have tried to help the kid out, but in his situation I would have likely had a blood bath and gotten a bad rep at that age.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    So for $4.5 million, how many years would you volunteer to subject yourself to this?
    To make $4.8 million dollars it would take me, in todays money, a shade under 38 years, I would have no problem doing this for his 4 years and then retire. Call me a whore I dont care I am in business to pay for my son, wife and myself, it is about the money.

There is obviously more to this story than we are getting.

Not to look at our team through rose colored glasses, but I don't think this happens at 1265.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    im not one for soft behavior but I think you have it partly right. These ARE the kind of adults being raised. To act like fucking children, to look down upon someone for being "smart" or for not being "hard". Reality is people don't know how to act right and this is one of those cases IMO. The world is full of wannabe thugs who think lowering yourself to shit is cool. Seems to be rampant among poor folk as I have personally seen.