Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: How do you beat the Seahawks?

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    If he pulls this shit, Adams should beat him like a drum inside. Weak one-handed press then turn your head around and run like hell? How does he get away with that? That technique should be attacked inside and quick. Even a slant and go when he's turning himself in circles. Just don't run right into where he's going when he gets turned around...
    It's a defensive PI and Aaron Rodgers gets a free shot.

Burn him big time.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    I'm thinking we ought to shitcan the no huddle offense in Seattle if, after the first series or so, the crowd noise makes communication time-consuming and difficult.

Huddle up. Everyone is on the same page and our TOP goes up. If it were only me, I'd start the game huddling up and move on to the no huddle after the crowd settles down...after our first few TD's.
    I wouldn't run any no huddle... let them substitute - you know who is going to be on the field against your personnel. If Stubby and staff did their jobs during the week of preparation, then we should be able to handle the subpackages - I think it is more important to have our own shit together, than to try and "trip them up" on personnel or gimmickry.

They're well coached, and aren't going to be thrown off by no-huddle, and given that the crowd noise is idiotic there, no-huddle would probably cause us more harm than good.
    wist

No huddle will have its place. Holmgren mentioned wrong footing them by their sub package; passing on first down versus base, running on second down versus pass rush, etc.

If Rodgers gets one of those sub packages caught facing a Packer sub package that has leverage over it, they should ride it down the field. Especially in the second half.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I have come to the conclusion that the one handed punch and retreat is Sherman's Cover 3 bail technique.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that the one handed punch and retreat is Sherman's Cover 3 bail technique.
    Makes sense but I can't see how he can defend a slant with that technique.

Extra Motivation:

http://news.yahoo.com/sitting-clay-m...7718--spt.html

Sitting Clay Matthews was a Pete Carroll error

Associated Press

By BARRY WILNER ... 3 hours ago
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Makes sense but I can't see how he can defend a slant with that technique.
    They play zone under it, so the OLB is fanning back to cover the slant and hook zone. They like the idea of you firing passes into the interior of their defense.

Somewhere I linked to Matt Bowen's Championship Games preview on Bleacher Report. He talks about this in there.

No huddle will have its place. Holmgren mentioned wrong footing them by their sub package; passing on first down versus base, running on second down versus pass rush, etc.

If Rodgers gets one of those sub packages caught facing a Packer sub package that has leverage over it, they should ride it down the field. Especially in the second half.
    I'm all for "wrong footing" them - you don't need to go no huddle to do that... all no huddle will do is get us out of sync with all of the crowd noise, and arythmic style that is imposed by their stout defense.

The no huddle isn't going to fluster them - I'd much rather make sure we have all our ducks in a row on every snap. Minimize the 5 and 7 step drops, don't put all the pressure on our below average Tackles, and dink and dunk them to death. A holding call or sack?? that is the end of that possession.

Normally I hate getting to 3rd down... I'm not a big fan of playing to get to 3rd and 3, I usually prefer to take shots at 1st downs on every 2nd down - but in this game I won't mind getting into 3rd and 5 or less. I think we can complete short passes against them, we just won't get any RAC. If we're at 3rd and 4, we should be able to dink it for 5 yds, and get down, move the chains.

I'd feel a lot better about our chances if we had a TE that could threaten the seam, and drag the underneath LB with him and threaten the Safety - but we don't have that anymore.
    wist

Blog Entries
    They play zone under it, so the OLB is fanning back to cover the slant and hook zone. They like the idea of you firing passes into the interior of their defense.

Somewhere I linked to Matt Bowen's Championship Games preview on Bleacher Report. He talks about this in there.
    I'll try to find Bowen's article. Sure there's under coverage, and Bowen is as good as the come when it comes to showcasing coverages but I can't see a linebacker - no matter how quick - or even a safety up - effectively defending a quick slant wide.

Blog Entries
    This the article PB?
    Good read on Cover 3 principles and how Seattle uses it.

If there's a slot receiver to Sherman's wide side, MAYBE the defender over him can fly off the slot and cover the slant but even that's a stretch because you can either isolate the wideout or the slot receiver can likely engage that defender and hinder his coverage outside. If he does bail to cover the slant, that leaves a nice seam for the slot receiver straight down the hashes.

It perhaps comes down to what others have also said. A quick passing attack with Rodgers in the gun may have some potential against Seattle's relatively vanilla but very effective defense. That could help offset Rodgers' relative immobility as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I'm all for "wrong footing" them - you don't need to go no huddle to do that... all no huddle will do is get us out of sync with all of the crowd noise, and arythmic style that is imposed by their stout defense.

The no huddle isn't going to fluster them - I'd much rather make sure we have all our ducks in a row on every snap. Minimize the 5 and 7 step drops, don't put all the pressure on our below average Tackles, and dink and dunk them to death. A holding call or sack?? that is the end of that possession.

Normally I hate getting to 3rd down... I'm not a big fan of playing to get to 3rd and 3, I usually prefer to take shots at 1st downs on every 2nd down - but in this game I won't mind getting into 3rd and 5 or less. I think we can complete short passes against them, we just won't get any RAC. If we're at 3rd and 4, we should be able to dink it for 5 yds, and get down, move the chains.

I'd feel a lot better about our chances if we had a TE that could threaten the seam, and drag the underneath LB with him and threaten the Safety - but we don't have that anymore.
    I don't consider Bulaga a "below average" O tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I don't consider Bulaga a "below average" O tackle.
    Average then... certainly don't consider him to be a top-flight RT.

The Seahawks can flat out bring the pass rush... every drive we have either a sack or a holding penalty will likely spell the end of that drive - therefore I think it critical to gameplan for a possession type of game. I would pass on 1st down a lot - and if that were unsuccessful, I'd look for another short dump off in the short zones to get it to 3rd and 5 or less.

Perhaps we can run against their subpackages a bit... but I wouldn't be doing that much on 2nd down. If we pass on first down and go incomplete, then run it into the line for NG on 2nd down - that likely spells the end of that drive, same as if we'd had a sack or holding penalty.

MM needs to have a conservative gameplan IMO, but that is not in his nature - disaster would be a 7 step drop, sack, fumble, and a very short field for the Seahawks at any point in the game.

We'll see.
    wist

Agreed. Bulaga, when he's actually healthy, is not perfect, but is easily better than 16 starting RTs in the league, including the guy starting for the Seachickens.

If Seattle has some kind of advantage because we're playing Bulaga, we should have a huge advantage on them for playing their guy.

This the article PB?
    Good read on Cover 3 principles and how Seattle uses it.

If there's a slot receiver to Sherman's wide side, MAYBE the defender over him can fly off the slot and cover the slant but even that's a stretch because you can either isolate the wideout or the slot receiver can likely engage that defender and hinder his coverage outside. If he does bail to cover the slant, that leaves a nice seam for the slot receiver straight down the hashes.

It perhaps comes down to what others have also said. A quick passing attack with Rodgers in the gun may have some potential against Seattle's relatively vanilla but very effective defense. That could help offset Rodgers' relative immobility as well.
    Nope, this one, though the topics are similar: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ips-film-study

Here is the relevant picture:

My bad. The slant would be defended by either the up safety or the nickel back in that D, not an ILB.

Nope, this one, though the topics are similar: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ips-film-study

Here is the relevant picture:

My bad. The slant would be defended by either the up safety or the nickel back in that D, not an ILB.
    Notice all 4 of those defenders in the underneath zone are all within 5 yds of the LOS. It looks like Newton is going to go to the man in flat, which would be the read there, but with everyone facing the play, and within easy closing distance, given the time the ball takes to be delivered, and the back get his vision squared around and begin getting upfield, those underneath guys will have closed on him very quickly.

I think what you have to do against that look is occupy one side with 3 receivers, send 1 deep, and one on a post or skinny post, then drag that back or TE behind that action to the outside. Anything inside, or short will be eaten alive if you don't find a way to occupy or misdirect those underneath zone defenders.
    wist

Blog Entries
    Love Bowen's work but his omission of how a quick slant is covered in that defense interesting...

I don't think either of the slot defenders can get there in time if the receiver gets off the line OK, unless he guesses right and bails on the slot receiver right away. That then would leave Cobb or RichRod open on a quick route up the seam before he gets to the deep safety.

if Sherman uses that weak one-handed press and turn outside and run technique to cover his deep third against a fly/fade while the wideout goes inside on a quick slant, with Rodgers quick release and no step drop from the gun, the ball's long gone by the time that shot above is even taken. The receiver could have the ball to him and be out of the Curl-Flat Drop area before the box safety/nickel-back can get there, particularly if he has to deal with a slot receiver off the snap.

I hope we see it because I'd love nothing more than to see Davante Adams school Sherman at the line. Jordy too but I think Jordy would get more attention and Adams has the ability to beat press coverage and run quick routes. Jordy's more of a loper while Adams has better change of direction. But he does need to snatch it in with strong hands unlike Tampa I believe it was at the goal line. Then get his head on a swivel because someone will be flying that way, either from the inside slot area or deep middle.

Blog Entries
    I think what you have to do against that look is occupy one side with 3 receivers, send 1 deep, and one on a post or skinny post, then drag that back or TE behind that action to the outside. Anything inside, or short will be eaten alive if you don't find a way to occupy or misdirect those underneath zone defenders.
    1 deep would be covered by the deep third corner, the post route runs right into the deep middle defender (unless he can somehow be looked off or is cheating to the top-side which would seem unlikely with your flood concept), and the back/TE going outside underneath runs right into the slot defender no?

Blog Entries
    Average then... certainly don't consider him to be a top-flight RT.

The Seahawks can flat out bring the pass rush... every drive we have either a sack or a holding penalty will likely spell the end of that drive - therefore I think it critical to gameplan for a possession type of game. I would pass on 1st down a lot - and if that were unsuccessful, I'd look for another short dump off in the short zones to get it to 3rd and 5 or less.

Perhaps we can run against their subpackages a bit... but I wouldn't be doing that much on 2nd down. If we pass on first down and go incomplete, then run it into the line for NG on 2nd down - that likely spells the end of that drive, same as if we'd had a sack or holding penalty.

MM needs to have a conservative gameplan IMO, but that is not in his nature - disaster would be a 7 step drop, sack, fumble, and a very short field for the Seahawks at any point in the game.

We'll see.
    Bulaga was the second highest ranked RT in the league this year by PFF, who scores every play by every player in every game. Discount that all you want but he still doesn't drop to average.

Avril had 5 sacks and Bennett 7 - not stellar but they can get pressure. With Rodgers' limited mobility, he oughta be getting the ball out as quick as he needs to because he knows he doesn't want to be holding it and running.

It'll be real interesting to see if the Packers can keep Rodgers clean in the pocket. If they can't at least be soemwhat effective you can stick a fork in their chances I'd say.

1 deep would be covered by the deep third corner, the post route runs right into the deep middle defender (unless he can somehow be looked off or is cheating to the top-side which would seem unlikely with your flood concept), and the back/TE going outside underneath runs right into the slot defender no?
    In that look, the corners are turning and running with the outside receivers - so they are out of the play.

The defenders you're trying to influence are the outer most defenders in that underneath zone - whether it be a LB or Chancellor.

If you run 3 receivers on those patterns against that look, the QB will have his choice between the receiver that runs the skinny post - who can sit down if that is the read, or the receiver that is outside and underneath. That puts a lot of pressure on that defender to make a decision - one of the 2 receivers would be open for about a 10 yd gain.

You'd probably need a 5 step drop for that to develop, but they are only rushing 4, so as long as protection held up, that route combination against that defense should give you a decent gain. Hit that a couple of times and they'd adjust, and you'd have to adjust from there... the chess match.
    wist

Looking at what the Panthers are doing there a little more... the way to look at the still pic would be - instead of running that slot receiver on the crossing pattern, run him at and behind that outer defender who is responsible for the flat. If he doesn't go with the slot receiver, the slot receiver should get the ball, if he does either go with or drift back with the slot receiver, the underneath guy would be the read.

You could even bunch 2 receivers out wide to force the defense to shift... was reading an article last week that talked about bunching receivers against the Seahawks - I think that is something that should be in the gameplan. Force those underneath zone defenders to commit.

I would probably run that route combination with a RB or TE offset, and run him right into the route instead of having him be a safety valve flaring out of the backfield. As it is in that still, that RB is going to receive the ball from Newton, and the defenders will have plenty of time to close on him. That play likely resulted in a very short, or no gain.
    wist