Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you beat the Seahawks?

The Panthers showed that they ARE definitely beatable. Control the ball. Run often. The difference will be, when we take our shots passing - WE will be doing so with Aaron Rodgers and a slew of solid receivers. They had Cam, Kelvin and... well...

Of course, it definitely helps is Aaron is able to run around as per norm.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    What if we hire North Korea to launch a hack of the Surface Tablets on the Seahawks sidelines?
    I thought those were etch-a-sketches.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I thought those were etch-a-sketches.
    Pretty sure only Slocum still uses those.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Pretty sure only Slocum still uses those.
    That would explain a lot of the confusion. You can't fully erase those things without a lot of shaking. They might be running four calls at one time.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Ground Rat
    we need a brilliant gameplan. Much like the way Favre beat Baltimore back in the day when their defense was absurdly good.

can Mike come up with a gameplan to solve their defense? I don't believe they're as good as last year, and the offenses they've seen the past few weeks aren't exactly scary or very good. Carolina was by far the best they've seen recently.

MM will have to come up w/ a great gameplan to help protect Rodgers. Running will be tough but we can't abandon it just because it's tough sledding. With a healthy A-rod I feel like it's not impossible. With a gimpy A-rod I'm afraid he won't last this game. It's going to take a great plan and effort from the defense to keep us in it. AND not to exclude Sherman's side from the plan. Have to use the entire field and attack him the same as anyone. The whole defense is good, but nobody is so good that we should refuse to look his way. He's not Revis or Sanders at CB. We shouldn't have to score 28 points to win, so the defense needs to bring their A game. Special teams scare me because we need points. Being able to execute and make a FG is going to be critical.

we will see what MM can put together. A win on the road w/ a gimpy QB in Seattle would be huge for his reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    The Panthers showed that they ARE definitely beatable. Control the ball. Run often. The difference will be, when we take our shots passing - WE will be doing so with Aaron Rodgers and a slew of solid receivers. They had Cam, Kelvin and... well...

Of course, it definitely helps is Aaron is able to run around as per norm.
    Aaron won't be much more mobile than what we saw in the 4th Q yesterday. If Seattle's D has any chink in their armor is they aren't #1 rushing the passer. They ended up #20 in sacks by the end of the regular season. If our big guys can give AR some time back there perhaps we can make some plays down the field. They have a great secondary but no DB can run with a WR forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers4Glory View Post
    we need a brilliant gameplan. Much like the way Favre beat Baltimore back in the day when their defense was absurdly good.

can Mike come up with a gameplan to solve their defense? I don't believe they're as good as last year, and the offenses they've seen the past few weeks aren't exactly scary or very good. Carolina was by far the best they've seen recently.

MM will have to come up w/ a great gameplan to help protect Rodgers. Running will be tough but we can't abandon it just because it's tough sledding. With a healthy A-rod I feel like it's not impossible. With a gimpy A-rod I'm afraid he won't last this game. It's going to take a great plan and effort from the defense to keep us in it. AND not to exclude Sherman's side from the plan. Have to use the entire field and attack him the same as anyone. The whole defense is good, but nobody is so good that we should refuse to look his way. He's not Revis or Sanders at CB. We shouldn't have to score 28 points to win, so the defense needs to bring their A game. Special teams scare me because we need points. Being able to execute and make a FG is going to be critical.

we will see what MM can put together. A win on the road w/ a gimpy QB in Seattle would be huge for his reputation.
    If it is mild in Seattle next weekend perhaps Eddie's asthma won't bother him as much as it did yesterday and he'll play more snaps.

Ground Rat
    on the glass half full front Chris Carter talked about playing w/ strains and stuff in the calf and how you get more accustomed to playing with it as you play more and more on it. Should be warmer up there so it should help w/ getting it loose and staying warm during the game. He doesn't have to run, but he needs to be able to move outside the pocket and extend some plays and not take sacks like he did in the 1st half yesterday.

That was a Mike Sherman classic zig when they zag game plan. Might have been his finest hour. If the Ravens brought out their run defense line (Adams and Goose), Packers play actioned and threw with time in pocket. If they brought out their pass rush line (two other guys inside) they Packers ran.

As a coach, Sherman was ahead of his time bringing college concepts to the NFL. I remember Bill Walsh backhanded compliment of the Packers running game as "more of a college scheme than pro" during a broadcast of the Packers. Walsh probably felt that someone has taken his baby, the WCO, and bastardized it by grafting on a different running attack than split backs. But it was the wave of the future.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Ground Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    That was a Mike Sherman classic zig when they zag game plan. Might have been his finest hour. If the Ravens brought out their run defense line (Adams and Goose), Packers play actioned and threw with time in pocket. If they brought out their pass rush line (two other guys inside) they Packers ran.

As a coach, Sherman was ahead of his time bringing college concepts to the NFL. I remember Bill Walsh backhanded compliment of the Packers running game as "more of a college scheme than pro" during a broadcast of the Packers. Walsh probably felt that someone has taken his baby, the WCO, and bastardized it by grafting on a different running attack than split backs. But it was the wave of the future.
    I recall a lot of quick hitting slants and stuff. we didn't give them time to rush the QB. get it out quick to your WR and let them make plays.

I recall a lot of quick hitting slants and stuff. we didn't give them time to rush the QB. get it out quick to your WR and let them make plays.
    I could be wrong, but I think that was a young Packers line, not yet the dominant unit they became. It was the year after the Ravens Super Bowl, so a 2001 regular season game. By the end of the year, that result make more sense, but at the time everyone on the line was very young. Flanagan had returned from about four different leg surgeries and Rivera had gotten settled into his new spot at RG and quickly became the best lineman on the team until Cliffy got up to speed.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I'm more scared of the away version of the Packers than I am of the Seahawks.

They are physical but not in the trenches like the teams that have been our kryptonite in the past. Carolina didn't lose in the trenches. Its a very physical secondary, Wagner is a tone setter linebacker, but that DL is getting by mostly on reputation these days. Even before they lost Mebane at NT they weren't exactly a brick wall. Trying to beat their defense to the edge is a waste of time but the Packers should be able to get something going up the middle this time, enough to set up play action.

On offense the Dallas team we just beat is a lot more physical. The Seattle offense is more about finding green grass through misdirection than imposing their will with power football. Wilson is a fucking wizard and Marshawn Lynch can't be tackled sometimes but they are a shell of what they were even week 1. They lost their stud TE Zach Miller, they lost Percy Harvin, and Saturday they even lost their top draft pick WR. Whats left is probably the worst group of receivers in the NFL.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

They need to get pass pro in gear from the start, hopefully Linsley has learned a thing or two.

But they should be able to run on the Seachickens.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    I'm more scared of the away version of the Packers than I am of the Seahawks.

They are physical but not in the trenches like the teams that have been our kryptonite in the past. Carolina didn't lose in the trenches. Its a very physical secondary, Wagner is a tone setter linebacker, but that DL is getting by mostly on reputation these days. Even before they lost Mebane at NT they weren't exactly a brick wall. Trying to beat their defense to the edge is a waste of time but the Packers should be able to get something going up the middle this time, enough to set up play action.

On offense the Dallas team we just beat is a lot more physical. The Seattle offense is more about finding green grass through misdirection than imposing their will with power football. Wilson is a fucking wizard and Marshawn Lynch can't be tackled sometimes but they are a shell of what they were even week 1. They lost their stud TE Zach Miller, they lost Percy Harvin, and Saturday they even lost their top draft pick WR. Whats left is probably the worst group of receivers in the NFL.

I agree that at WR the Seahawks are relatively small ( Doug Baldwin 5' - 10 " - 189 lbs and Jermaine Kerse 6' - 1" and 209 lbs and #3 WR Kevin Norwood is 6' - 2 " and 199 lbs. ) and should be handled. Russell Wilson likes to target Doug Baldwin and this WR is a tough competitor.

Their current TE Canuck Luke Willson (6' -5" -252 lbs and athletic) has looked very good of late. He can extend plays after the catch and score. He must be accounted for.

The Packers run 'D' (the entire Defense) has a load to deal with in RB Marshawn Lynch. He's a monster at his best. To that add the excellent scrambling ability of Russell Wilson and Ohh Dear !

The Packer 'D' has to come to play and lately that defense is growing. The secondary has to improve over it's rather pedestrian performance Vs Dallas. The team as a whole has to tackle better......again.

Seattle will likely score about 27 points and we simply need more.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-12-2015 at 12:22 PM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

1. Score more points than SEA.
    2. No turnovers.
    3. Protect Rodgers.
    3. Great play calling and audibles...keep the SEA D off balance and on the field.
    4.. No huge plays that score TDs. If you can hold them to FGs through the "bend, don't break" philosophy.
    5. Sacrifice a goat or two one hour prior to kickoff.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    If we had any semblance of a defense whatsoever, I'd say we have a chance, b/c talentwise, offense vs. offense, I think we have the edge; but our defense is such a mess, and the coaching is so bad, that there is no way we can close the gap.
    If only we had a defense like Detroit's #2 defense, that could hold the Cowboys to 24 points, then I might have some confidence in the Packer D.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

On offense, Pass protect and trust your receiving depth. If Seattle is going to put their best guys on Nelson and Cobb, then use Quarless, Rodgers, Kuhn, Lacy, Adams, Stark plug, Harris, even Boykin if need be to spread the ball around and keep the chickens guessing where the next pass is gonna go. Don't hesitate going to the check down right away, because seattle will bring pressure and when they do, it will probably get there before Cobb leaks open. Pass protect like crazy and mix in the run, with at least a few against tendency. When you run, no outside stretch runs. Pound it right up the gut, off tackle, or pulls. And whatever you do, be on the lookout for the center over whip pressure.

If only we had a defense like Detroit's #2 defense, that could hold the Cowboys to 24 points, then I might have some confidence in the Packer D.
    Our talent and coaching is so subpar that we are one of the 4 teams remaining
    Go PACK

Just think where they could be if the D were any good. Deep into the playoffs perhaps.

Some thoughts about the Sea-Car game, just from reading the stats (didn't watch the game).
    1) Carolina had 3 turnovers. Killer against Seattle.
    2) Seattle had only one real sustained drive, and then ended in a FG. Their touchdowns came from a short field, a long pass, a drive that was basically 2 long passes, and a pick-6.
    3) Carolina's punter had a poor showing. Seattle had much better starting field positions.

I think Green Bay's defense has a good chance of slowing down Seattle, and I don't see them turning the ball over like Carolina did. The Packer's punting should be better as well.

That leaves one big question, 'Can the Packers move the ball and score on Seattle?' Not an easy task, but not impossible if Rodgers can hold up. Seattle has looked great down the stretch against a bunch of backup QB's, a SF team that mostly quit, and a Carolina team that isn't all that great. The Packers are better than any of them.

So how to beat Seattle:
    1) Protect the rock.
    2) Protect the MVP.
    3) Don't give up big plays.
    4) Pull out the stops. MM and company did some creative things against NE that they weren't expecting, and it worked. Confuse Seattle with things they haven't seen and get them on their heels.
    5) Get an early lead - try to quiet the crowd a bit.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!