Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you beat the Seahawks?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    I'm more scared of the away version of the Packers than I am of the Seahawks.

They are physical but not in the trenches like the teams that have been our kryptonite in the past. Carolina didn't lose in the trenches. Its a very physical secondary, Wagner is a tone setter linebacker, but that DL is getting by mostly on reputation these days. Even before they lost Mebane at NT they weren't exactly a brick wall. Trying to beat their defense to the edge is a waste of time but the Packers should be able to get something going up the middle this time, enough to set up play action.

On offense the Dallas team we just beat is a lot more physical. The Seattle offense is more about finding green grass through misdirection than imposing their will with power football. Wilson is a fucking wizard and Marshawn Lynch can't be tackled sometimes but they are a shell of what they were even week 1. They lost their stud TE Zach Miller, they lost Percy Harvin, and Saturday they even lost their top draft pick WR. Whats left is probably the worst group of receivers in the NFL.

I agree that at WR the Seahawks are relatively small ( Doug Baldwin 5' - 10 " - 189 lbs and Jermaine Kerse 6' - 1" and 209 lbs and #3 WR Kevin Norwood is 6' - 2 " and 199 lbs. ) and should be handled. Russell Wilson likes to target Doug Baldwin and this WR is a tough competitor.

Their current TE Canuck Luke Willson (6' -5" -252 lbs and athletic) has looked very good of late. He can extend plays after the catch and score. He must be accounted for.

The Packers run 'D' (the entire Defense) has a load to deal with in RB Marshawn Lynch. He's a monster at his best. To that add the excellent scrambling ability of Russell Wilson and Ohh Dear !

The Packer 'D' has to come to play and lately that defense is growing. The secondary has to improve over it's rather pedestrian performance Vs Dallas. The team as a whole has to tackle better......again.

Seattle will likely score about 27 points and we simply need more.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-12-2015 at 12:22 PM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

They need to get pass pro in gear from the start, hopefully Linsley has learned a thing or two.

But they should be able to run on the Seachickens.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

1. Score more points than SEA.
    2. No turnovers.
    3. Protect Rodgers.
    3. Great play calling and audibles...keep the SEA D off balance and on the field.
    4.. No huge plays that score TDs. If you can hold them to FGs through the "bend, don't break" philosophy.
    5. Sacrifice a goat or two one hour prior to kickoff.
    C.H.U.D.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    On offense, Pass protect and trust your receiving depth. If Seattle is going to put their best guys on Nelson and Cobb, then use Quarless, Rodgers, Kuhn, Lacy, Adams, Stark plug, Harris, even Boykin if need be to spread the ball around and keep the chickens guessing where the next pass is gonna go. Don't hesitate going to the check down right away, because seattle will bring pressure and when they do, it will probably get there before Cobb leaks open. Pass protect like crazy and mix in the run, with at least a few against tendency. When you run, no outside stretch runs. Pound it right up the gut, off tackle, or pulls. And whatever you do, be on the lookout for the center over whip pressure.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    1. Score more points than SEA.
    2. No turnovers.
    3. Protect Rodgers.
    3. Great play calling and audibles...keep the SEA D off balance and on the field.
    4.. No huge plays that score TDs. If you can hold them to FGs through the "bend, don't break" philosophy.
    5. Sacrifice a goat or two one hour prior to kickoff.
    Is the goat market in or near the Seattle fish market?
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Some thoughts about the Sea-Car game, just from reading the stats (didn't watch the game).
    1) Carolina had 3 turnovers. Killer against Seattle.
    2) Seattle had only one real sustained drive, and then ended in a FG. Their touchdowns came from a short field, a long pass, a drive that was basically 2 long passes, and a pick-6.
    3) Carolina's punter had a poor showing. Seattle had much better starting field positions.

I think Green Bay's defense has a good chance of slowing down Seattle, and I don't see them turning the ball over like Carolina did. The Packer's punting should be better as well.

That leaves one big question, 'Can the Packers move the ball and score on Seattle?' Not an easy task, but not impossible if Rodgers can hold up. Seattle has looked great down the stretch against a bunch of backup QB's, a SF team that mostly quit, and a Carolina team that isn't all that great. The Packers are better than any of them.

So how to beat Seattle:
    1) Protect the rock.
    2) Protect the MVP.
    3) Don't give up big plays.
    4) Pull out the stops. MM and company did some creative things against NE that they weren't expecting, and it worked. Confuse Seattle with things they haven't seen and get them on their heels.
    5) Get an early lead - try to quiet the crowd a bit.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Swap their bennies with reds.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

We simply don't match up with them...

I think you can run on them, but you need a power running game to do it - they eat zone blocking alive. To run on them, you need to pull, trap, create angles and creases - we simply do not do that at all. We have 3 running plays that players like Wagner, Chancellor, and Avril can simply undercut or run around.

And in the passing game - what are the odds that MM actually tailors his gameplan to deal with the Seahawks, as opposed to simply coming in with his down the field attack - and giving up 8 sacks in the 1st half??

Our defense vs their offense is an even worse matchup - not that their offense is gangbusters or anything, but they are loaded with gimmicks, and dunderdummy is completely out of his depth when he has to matchup with an opposing coach.

We will surely get gashed by a couple of Jet Sweeps and options - throw that on top of the fact that they are going to run the ball against us, and Wilson taking short drops and being efficient with the ball... dunderdummy is completely overmatched.

We have an outside chance, but absolutely everything has to go our way... and dunderdummy actually has to do his job - that's a lot to ask.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I think you can run on them, but you need a power running game to do it - they eat zone blocking alive. To run on them, you need to pull, trap, create angles and creases - we simply do not do that at all. We have 3 running plays that players like Wagner, Chancellor, and Avril can simply undercut or run around.]
    Unlike last year when they spent more than 50% of snaps using ZBS with Lacy (switching to more power stuff later in the year) they have probably dipped below 50% of ZBS this year. Lacy runs a lot of interior stuff with pulling Guards and double teams on the nose, Power O type stuff. You will still see some inside zone and a good dose of outside zone, but you may be surprised at what they roll out there.

You can see the effect on the RBs because Starks gets less effective with less zone.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Unlike last year when they spent more than 50% of snaps using ZBS with Lacy (switching to more power stuff later in the year) they have probably dipped below 50% of ZBS this year. Lacy runs a lot of interior stuff with pulling Guards and double teams on the nose, Power O type stuff. You will still see some inside zone and a good dose of outside zone, but you may be surprised at what they roll out there.

You can see the effect on the RBs because Starks gets less effective with less zone.
    I've noticed the runs up the middle, but most of them are nothing more than a quick double team with the center or guard passing that player off and getting to the second level. Rarely have I seen G's coming around the center with the playside G or T blocking down - rarely. Those plays are still zone plays.

As I said in the other post, I don't think those plays will be effective against the Seahawks anymore than the stretch plays would be... to catch the Seahawks in the run game, you need to create your own hole, i.e. pulling and trapping - not stringing things out waiting for a hole to develop. The longer a play takes to develop, the more time their speed comes to bear.

I don't expect we'll run for more than 75 yds for the game - especially with Rodgers not running at all.

For the most part, I expect a repeat of week 1, and in case anyone has forgotten - the kicked the living fuck out of us week 1. The game wasn't even competitive.

I fully expect that dunderdummy will be made to look like an idiot, and that it will take MM at least the first half to realize his initial game plan is shit - like I said, a repeat of week 1.
    wist

I've noticed the runs up the middle, but most of them are nothing more than a quick double team with the center or guard passing that player off and getting to the second level. Rarely have I seen G's coming around the center with the playside G or T blocking down - rarely. Those plays are still zone plays.

Then, as KY said, you are not paying enough attention. They have been pulling Sitton a lot, Lang slightly less so. And its an old Power O I believe, with the Guard followed by Kuhn. Perhaps not versus the Boys, but at 4+ ypc, why would you change?

The Packers starting O line had a rookie center and a backup tackle in and the Seachickens are missing Mebane now, so quoting those rush statistics as argument for your analysis is useless.

The Packers starting O line had a rookie center and a backup tackle in and the Seachickens are missing Mebane now, so quoting those rush statistics as argument for your analysis is useless.
    Not just Mebane, but Hill (Mebane's backup) as well. I think our O-line should be able to move the Seattle D-line. The problem is that the Seattle back 7 are all good in pursuit and also pretty physical.

Blog Entries
    I think you can run on them, but you need a power running game to do it - they eat zone blocking alive. To run on them, you need to pull, trap, create angles and creases - we simply do not do that at all. We have 3 running plays that players like Wagner, Chancellor, and Avril can simply undercut or run around.
    Wist, you gotta slow down or speed up or something. You've stated you don't get to see a lot of games, right? They are running all kinds of power/gap runs. Watch the opening play vs the Lions. Linsley and TJ double down on Suh, Bulaga kicks out and Eddie bangs for a nice run. Shit, with Kuhn in there, they run BOB blocks all the time. Quarless has actually improved his blocking skills to execute angle blocks and making decent seals. The 3 ZBS running plays (there are more plays than that in a ZBS, BTW) may have been true 4-5 years ago, MM has shook things up since then.

Another BTW, Capers put together a brilliant D game plan vs Dallas. So ease up on the Dunderdummy, if ya can.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    Wist, you gotta slow down or speed up or something. You've stated you don't get to see a lot of games, right? They are running all kinds of power/gap runs. Watch the opening play vs the Lions. Linsley and TJ double down on Suh, Bulaga kicks out and Eddie bangs for a nice run. Shit, with Kuhn in there, they run BOB blocks all the time. Quarless has actually improved his blocking skills to execute angle blocks and making decent seals. The 3 ZBS running plays (there are more plays than that in a ZBS, BTW) may have been true 4-5 years ago, MM has shook things up since then.

Another BTW, Capers put together a brilliant D game plan vs Dallas. So ease up on the Dunderdummy, if ya can.
    No, I watch most games - sometimes we don't get them, sometimes I'm tied up, sometimes my BP is too high, lol... my family almost made me leave the room during the review of Dez's non-catch - wouldn't be the first heart attack trigged by watching football

As the old saying for boxing goes - styles make fights. I would expect that we would be more effective against big lines b/c of all the running the zbs requires DL to do - but Seattle is a smallish defensive front that is very quick, and very disciplined, their LB's flow like nobody's business, and their DB's crash and kill like no other team in the league.

Zone blocking plays usually take time to string out and devolop with the back looking for the cutback or the front side play - neither will be available against the Seahawks. The zone play up the middle is quicker hitting, but it still allows those quick players to slide off blocks and make the tackle. Hence my contention that the best scheme to run against them is a power scheme that has a lot of pulling and trapping.

MM has used power in the past, but very sparingly. I didn't pay that close attention during the Cowboy game, but I didn't see any pulling... I saw a lot of reach blocks - which will be impossible against Seattle.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

As for dunderdummy - you've got to be kidding me??!! We sucked against the Cowboys - the statline may not have looked terrible, but by all rights we should have lost that game... we got lucky - very lucky on defense. Cowboy receivers were open all over the field, and Murray was running at over 5 yds/clip... only luck saved us.

There are 3 plays inparticular that stand out... and only 1 of them had anything to do with our defense making a play - and that was a desperation swat by Peppers.

1) The 3rd and 1 where they passed the ball. Romo bumbled it around and essentially had to throw it away. They then had to attempt a long FG, which was NG. Why the Cowboys didn't simply run it for the 1st down - which they could easily have done, is beyond me.

So thanks to their headscratching playcalling - we dodged a bullet there.

2) The Murray fumble. Murray had a hole the size of the Grand Canyon to run thru... I don't know if he'd have scored or not, but it would have been a foot race. As it was, Peppers make a desperation lunge and gets a hand on the ball.

And make no mistake - that was a desperation lunge, b/c if he doesn't do that... Murray is going to run for a long, long way on that play. Another bullet dodged - no thanks to dunderdummy.

3) The Bryant non-catch. If Bryant simply is content to go to the ground under control, the cowboys have 1st and goal at the 1 - and are a 1yd Murray stomp from taking the lead late in the 4th.

The defense stunk, literally stunk most of that game. They tightened up a bit in the 2nd half and were able to produce a couple of coverage sacks, but other than that, DB's were constantly out of position (Williams long TD), the tackling was average at best, and that is a function of being out of position, and receivers were running free all over the place.

No, dunderdummy called an idiotic game - the fact that we won, and the Cowboys did us a lot of favors masks the fact that dunderdummy was classic dunderdummy, i.e. completely overmatched as an NFL DC.
    wist

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014...attle-seahawks

Commentary

NFC Q&A: Packers face tough road

Green Bay will try to reverse fortunes in Seattle with Aaron Rodgers hobbling

Originally Published: January 11, 2015

By: John Clayton | ESPN.com

" CenturyLink Field has been a house of horrors for the Green Bay Packers. "

Comment woodbuick27:

So this time will be different.

Guy on the radio was blathering on about how CK and Wilson have killed the Packers over the last three years. He seemed to remember the opener this year, but forget the Fail Mary.

GB SEA

1st Downs

19 / 25

Passing 1st downs
    13 / 8

Rushing 1st downs
    4 / 13

1st downs from penalties
    2 / 4

3rd down efficiency
    6-12 / 4-11

4th down efficiency
    0-1 / 1-1

Total Plays
    57 / 66

Total Yards
    255 / 398

Yards per play
    4.5 / 6.0

Total Drives
    10 / 10

Passing
    175 / 191

Comp-Att
    23-33 / 19-28

Yards per pass
    4.9 / 6.6

Sacks-Yards Lost
    3-14 / 1-0

Rushing
    80 / 207

Rushing Attempts
    21 / 37

Yards per rush
    3.8 / 5.6

Red Zone (Made-Att)
    2-3 / 3-5

Penalties
    8-65 / 4-69

Turnovers
    1 / 1

Possession
    26:40 / 33:20

----------------------------------------------------------------------

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    That, is a complete ass-waxing... no getting around it.

207 rushing yds allowed; 6.0 yds/play allowed; we gave up a safety; we allowed gimmick plays to embarrass us; we got pushed around on both sides of the LOS.

I don't expect much has changed... except maybe Rodgers isn't healthy, and the Seahawk coaches have had more time to find ways to embarrass dunderdummy.
    wist

That, is a complete ass-waxing... no getting around it.

207 rushing yds allowed; 6.0 yds/play allowed; we gave up a safety; we allowed gimmick plays to embarrass us; we got pushed around on both sides of the LOS.

I don't expect much has changed... except maybe Rodgers isn't healthy, and the Seahawk coaches have had more time to find ways to embarrass dunderdummy.

Well, no Derek Sherrod/a healthy Bulaga helps. Not employing a stupid "avoid Sherman" game plan. And Clay in the middle.

Lions yield 24, good defense.

Packers yield 21, 6th worst output for the Boys all year, its a miracle.

Lions yield 24, good defense.

Packers yield 21 based on pure luck, 6th worst output for the Boys all year, its a miracle.
    Fixed
    Go PACK