Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you beat the Seahawks?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    That would be a definitive explanation about his low level of involvement. My work here is done.
    Haha, well he just got injured on Sunday. I just wasn't sure whether they were using him or somebody else in the Harvin role over the second half of the year.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    That would be a definitive explanation about his low level of involvement. My work here is done.
    Except he just tore his ACL against Carolina. The true explanation is that Seattle just doesn't run it much this year.

Edit: What Bossman said.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    IMO seattle isn't a particularly bad matchup for our defense. They know how to run the ball but this is still the NFL and that's not enough. Our secondary is no legion of boom but against Baldwin and Kearse they might as well be. Without Percy's contributions as a receiver and rusher I expect a weaker opponent against a better defense than we saw in week 1.

My questions are on offense. Its a big exaggeration to say we need to be perfect, if any NFL offense is perfect its a blowout. It'd sure help the cause if we didn't string together three possessions where we turn it over on downs, throw a pick, and fumble for a safety. Its going to take a lot less Sherrod and a lot more of a running game if we want to knock out the champs.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

As I said - our defense against the Cowboys was shit... I gave 3 game changing plays that had they gone the other way, we would have given up 40ish points and 450ish yds - at least.

Those 3 plays went our way, we got lucky - and the Cowboys did us favor after favor with their very questionable playcalling.

We won, so we take it - now we go to Seattle and face the music.

As I said, I think Seattle is beatable - but I think it requires a team that is built differently than we are. They ran for 207 yds against us in the opener; Wilson did anything he wanted - and laughed about it; they gimmicked us several times - and laughed about that!!!

We're simply overmatched in the coaching department - our defense vs their offense; and their great strength, their defense, is greater than our great strength, our offense.

That's the way the game shapes up... similar score to the opener I think. We have a punchers chance, but we need a shit-ton of luck, and bounces, and timely penalties go our way to have any chance at all.

Anybody seen what the line is??
    wist

Once again, the Seattle O-line is noticeably less awesome than the Dallas O-line, and in general, the Dallas offense is much better than Seattle's offense.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Anybody seen what the line is??
    Somewhere around 7.5
    Go PACK

Kickass Rat All-Pro CaptainKickass's Avatar
    How do you beat the Seahawks?

Well - here's one way:

"Everyone's born anarchist and atheist until people start lying to them" ~ wise philosopher

I'm no expert on the Sea Squawks but whenever I turn them on I see Wilson completing big play passes to Baldwin and Kearse, and sometimes even their anonymous TEs. I am sure that is at least partly attributable to the amount of attention the opposing defense is paying to the running game, but it does make me wonder whether their wides are really that bad or if they're just underutilized. In what ways do they suck?

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    I'm no expert on the Sea Squawks but whenever I turn them on I see Wilson completing big play passes to Baldwin and Kearse, and sometimes even their anonymous TEs. I am sure that is at least partly attributable to the amount of attention the opposing defense is paying to the running game, but it does make me wonder whether their wides are really that bad or if they're just underutilized. In what ways do they suck?
    I think they do a great job of setting defenses up... like they did to us in the opener, when Lockette scored on that 30 somthing yd TD.

They had run that read option to Shields side a few times, and saw that dunderdummy was crashing Shields and turning coverage of the WR over to the Safety - rookie HHCD. They faked the read option - and as it turns out Lynch didn't even dive into the line, he drifted out in front of Wilson to provide passpro, if needed; HHCD had far too much distance to cover to get to Lockette, Wilson delivered the ball and Lockette had plenty of time to make a move on the hard charging HHCD - easy, and embarrassing TD.

The Seattle coaching staff simply outcoached dunderdummy on that play... which is easy enough to do.

But that is how they spring their under-talented WR's... they set defenses up for it beautifully. Yes, accounting for the run has a lot to do with it, but that doesn't mean a defense has to go unsound to account for the run and still leave their DB's in sound coverage.

In terms of the chess match - dunderdummy is way out of his depth against the Seahawks. I'll be shocked if they don't hit us for multiple big, easy, embarrassing plays, and it has nothing to do with talent, everything to do with coaching and preparation.
    wist

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I think they do a great job of setting defenses up... like they did to us in the opener, when Lockette scored on that 30 somthing yd TD.

They had run that read option to Shields side a few times, and saw that dunderdummy was crashing Shields and turning coverage of the WR over to the Safety - rookie HHCD. They faked the read option - and as it turns out Lynch didn't even dive into the line, he drifted out in front of Wilson to provide passpro, if needed; HHCD had far too much distance to cover to get to Lockette, Wilson delivered the ball and Lockette had plenty of time to make a move on the hard charging HHCD - easy, and embarrassing TD.

The Seattle coaching staff simply outcoached dunderdummy on that play... which is easy enough to do.

But that is how they spring their under-talented WR's... they set defenses up for it beautifully. Yes, accounting for the run has a lot to do with it, but that doesn't mean a defense has to go unsound to account for the run and still leave their DB's in sound coverage.

In terms of the chess match - dunderdummy is way out of his depth against the Seahawks. I'll be shocked if they don't hit us for multiple big, easy, embarrassing plays, and it has nothing to do with talent, everything to do with coaching and preparation.
    Well, gee, u sorta take all the fun out of being a packerrat, and hoping there is some way for us to beat the seachickens this weekend.

We need to tack up wist's posts to the Seattle locker room, so they can get cocky and over confident.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Green & Gold Shades Rat HOFer channtheman's Avatar
    They are beatable. Without watching the games, I have seen that Seattle has been in close games with crappy teams until the very end when a pick six or something made it look like a blowout. Our gameplan week 1, combined with a new center, combined with us generally starting the year like crap means this should be a competitive game. I'm more confident we win this game than I was before the Dallas game.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by channtheman View Post
    They are beatable. Without watching the games, I have seen that Seattle has been in close games with crappy teams until the very end when a pick six or something made it look like a blowout. Our gameplan week 1, combined with a new center, combined with us generally starting the year like crap means this should be a competitive game. I'm more confident we win this game than I was before the Dallas game.
    +1
    They are beatable in Seattle. The Cowgirls did it. Why not us?
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Seahawks offensively have been thriving on big plays. They don't get a lot of 10-15 play drives for TD's. If the Packers can take away the big plays, they have a chance to force the Seahawks to kick field goals when they do move the ball into Packer territory. A couple of weeks ago, the Cardinals were playing tough defense against them until the let Luke Wilson get behind them for an 80 yard TD pass. Last week it was Jermaine Kearse for a 63 yard TD pass. Can't let that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Wilson definitely squeezes out every drop of potential those guys have. Lately it does seem like their passing game has been thriving from all the jag on bum matchups available to them over the last couple of months. Both Baldwin and Kearse can disappear for long stretches because neither gets much separation. Baldwin is best as a slot guy, more quick than fast and good at finding room against the zone 7 and 8 man box defenses everyone plays against Seattle. Kearse is the bigger, faster, stronger of the two but isn't really a possession receiver. He's like what Kevin Dorsey will be in a year or so. He's come up big for them in the playoffs last year but as a finesse 9-route receiver without elite size he's the exact type of guy Shields and Tramon erase from existence even if he weren't the poor man's version of a receiver in his mold. To their credit both are serviceable blockers. Lord knows they get enough practice.
    Last edited by 3irty1; 01-13-2015 at 07:57 PM.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    They will slaughter us like Yeoman Jensen on an away mission in Star Trek.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    We need to tack up wist's posts to the Seattle locker room, so they can get cocky and over confident.
    Yes that, and someone spike dunderdummy's coffee so that he can't get out of the bathroom for 3 hours...

We'd have a fighting chance then!!!
    wist

You know, I don't think our corners have been able to come down with a jump ball in a while. I think we're due for one.

Seattle would have to drive a bus of virgins into the mount rainier volcano to score 36 again without a bunch of help from our offense. That was the 2nd highest they scored all season and a lot of things had to go just right for it to happen.

Blog Entries
    Anger, guys pissed at the opening loss.

And on a minor note, Dan Quinn Hawk DC is in line for the ATL HC gig.

Remember when we had the one loss team, but Joe PHilbin's kid died and he was up for the Miami HC gig? That shit messes you up. As it will mess up SEA. Better troops, motivated boys on D will make their plays in this game and we will go on to the SB as the team favored to beat Indy, the upset winner over NE.

Hey, it's my dream, ain't it.