Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you beat the Seahawks?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    KY, no way their DC will be a distraction. Seattle defense plays like terminators or Aliens - they don't give a shit about anything going on around them but coming after you and beating the living hell out of you. Packers will have to have a sustained, four quarter physical and mental toughness to beat 'em. But they have to be smart. Lacy can't be all like lowering his helmet to prove how tough he is, because that's what gets him KO'ed from the game.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Seattle would have to drive a bus of virgins into the mount rainier volcano to score 36 again without a bunch of help from our offense. That was the 2nd highest they scored all season and a lot of things had to go just right for it to happen.
    They will only score that much if the offense and/or ST collapses. Their offense against the Packer D is probably only good for 24, best case scenario.

If Boyd is hobbled, that's an extra problem though...
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have.
    Vince Lombardi

"Not really interested in being a spoiler or an underdog. We're the Green Bay Packers." McCarthy.

"With a lead blocker and slot receiver capable of digging out the linebacker or safety in the hole, Lacy is able to shoot through the crack en route to a 19-yard gain."

It's a thing of beauty to see Cobb go in there and get the LB off his feet.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Once again, the Seattle O-line is noticeably less awesome than the Dallas O-line, and in general, the Dallas offense is much better than Seattle's offense.
    To Wist's point about giving up big plays, Wilson has shown that even if you rush him and get through a line that is not as solid this year, he can break contain and kill you with big runs, and then slide to avoid contact whenever he wants. I know the NFL is trying to protect QB's in the open field, but I really don't like how they can just become like sliding base-runners and just give themselves up when the tacklers are coming. The running backs must love the fact that they are still fair game for getting the crap kicked out of them when they get in the open field. I'm sure you know what you're signing up for.

The tall order is setting the edge to contain Wilson and getting Lynch to the ground regularly, and minimizing his affect. Our run defense was much worse at the start of the season than it is now, but they are still not shut down. I think Burnett has to have a career game, perhaps at the LOS if they decide to challenge Wilson to beat them from the pocket, which assume any success stopping the run. Gap discipline and not falling for their misdirection stuff will also be key.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Nick Perry needs to shine.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Wilson definitely squeezes out every drop of potential those guys have. Lately it does seem like their passing game has been thriving from all the jag on bum matchups available to them over the last couple of months. Both Baldwin and Kearse can disappear for long stretches because neither gets much separation. Baldwin is best as a slot guy, more quick than fast and good at finding room against the zone 7 and 8 man box defenses everyone plays against Seattle. Kearse is the bigger, faster, stronger of the two but isn't really a possession receiver. He's like what Kevin Dorsey will be in a year or so. He's come up big for them in the playoffs last year but as a finesse 9-route receiver without elite size he's the exact type of guy Shields and Tramon erase from existence even if he weren't the poor man's version of a receiver in his mold. To their credit both are serviceable blockers. Lord knows they get enough practice.
    Well that certainly helps. Thanks.

They don't have to score every time, but Green Bay needs to move the ball every time. They can't take too many 3 and outs or negative plays. No sacks, no penalties, try to stay in positive plays, even if they're short. Get at least a few first downs to keep Seattle from ratcheting field position down. They make a lot of hay that way.

It's going to be interesting. Seattle's last several games against bottom-tier offenses would be like the Packers closing out the season playing Washington, Tennessee, Atlanta, and 3 games against the Bears -- pure strength against pure weakness. That doesn't mean Green Bay won't struggle against them but they'll have their hands full with the Packers offense.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

I have no doubt Cobb would be willing to take on a LB in the hole, I hope M3 doesn't ask. I think the writer meant the Packers wide run where the slot guy crashes down into a LB to create an edge.

Perry is definitely going to get some snaps and his bull rush will be precisely what we want versus Wilson. And if Boyd is limited, Jones and Pennel will as well. One of those guys having a play in base D would be great.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

from a Seattle fan board:

"The Lions and Bucs hardly bothered him with their pass rush, but I found something very interesting about Buffalo. Number 55, Hughes is a standup RDE who gave Rodgers fits the whole game. Rodgers was never comfortable because Hughes was constantly around his blindside and he could feel that pressure. There were way more inaccurate throws against Buffalo than against Tampa and Detroit. The reason this is interesting is because from play one he reminded me of a poor mans Bruce Irvin. If you ask me for one serious key to this game I'm saying Irvin getting blindside pressure could be a key. Irvin takes less upfield chances than he did in previous years and he finds ways to move the QB off his spot without having to rush deep around the tackle. That's exactly what Hughes did and all game I thought, "That's Irvin." When Rodgers has pressure in his face he moves around deftly and makes throws no one else can make. Against Buffalo, Hughes was constantly making him move and he wasn't nearly as accurate."

The combination of the pressure and the coverage is what kills a QB (any QB, including Rodgers), because it erodes confidence. Especially if the QB knows the pressure is coming from the blind spot. Makes him nervous and jumpy, less patient in going through progressions and getting the ball out. This is probably the biggest key to the game. Packers solve the pressure, especially blindside pressure, then everything else will fall in line. Need the run game to slow that down and need Bakhtiari to have a solid game.

Ground Rat
    with their weak WR corp we have to play more base defense don't we? Bring in Perry, move clay inside w/ SB, and Pep on the other side.

IMO this isn't a game for Hyde to play a ton on defense. our corners have to earn their paychecks and shut those guys down so we can bottle up Lynch.
    Last edited by Packers4Glory; 01-14-2015 at 09:36 AM.

Irvin isn't Hughes, but Bach has to be stout, I think that observation is correct.

Fosco's link, the Seattle Defense 3 GIF is an example of a Packer package play. There are routes downfield, Rodgers passes right but watch Bach on the left. He cuts the RDE (successfully) and Kuhn or someone is open short for what is essentially a naked screen. Bulaga blew his cut block though so Rodgers had to delay what was going to be a screen to Lacy and that delay allowed the D to rally forward.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Ground Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    from a Seattle fan board:

"The Lions and Bucs hardly bothered him with their pass rush, but I found something very interesting about Buffalo. Number 55, Hughes is a standup RDE who gave Rodgers fits the whole game. Rodgers was never comfortable because Hughes was constantly around his blindside and he could feel that pressure. There were way more inaccurate throws against Buffalo than against Tampa and Detroit. The reason this is interesting is because from play one he reminded me of a poor mans Bruce Irvin. If you ask me for one serious key to this game I'm saying Irvin getting blindside pressure could be a key. Irvin takes less upfield chances than he did in previous years and he finds ways to move the QB off his spot without having to rush deep around the tackle. That's exactly what Hughes did and all game I thought, "That's Irvin." When Rodgers has pressure in his face he moves around deftly and makes throws no one else can make. Against Buffalo, Hughes was constantly making him move and he wasn't nearly as accurate."

The combination of the pressure and the coverage is what kills a QB (any QB, including Rodgers), because it erodes confidence. Especially if the QB knows the pressure is coming from the blind spot. Makes him nervous and jumpy, less patient in going through progressions and getting the ball out. This is probably the biggest key to the game. Packers solve the pressure, especially blindside pressure, then everything else will fall in line. Need the run game to slow that down and need Bakhtiari to have a solid game.
    well I hope that we learned something in Buf plus w/ Rodgers lack of mobility. If we can have the RB help out on that side and slip off into the flat every so often maybe we can neutralize that threat effectively. This all goes back to MM creating the perfect gameplan we will need to beat this defense.

I just hope they're a little use to crappy offenses and take some time to get back on their feet vs our offense and weapons. When you play below average competition and then suddenly face top competition it can be a bit jolting. what was once easy isn't quite as easy and it can take time to adjust.

One key I think will be to take advantage of that and get on the board early in the first few drives and get points before they settle in and do what they do on defense.

Since week 6 Seattle hasn't really faced a good offense.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    KY, no way their DC will be a distraction. Seattle defense plays like terminators or Aliens - they don't give a shit about anything going on around them but coming after you and beating the living hell out of you. Packers will have to have a sustained, four quarter physical and mental toughness to beat 'em. But they have to be smart. Lacy can't be all like lowering his helmet to prove how tough he is, because that's what gets him KO'ed from the game.
    Oh, yer right.

The Hawks pound on your ass.

The DC situation is a minor distraction, but every little bit helps.

Another factor is that NOBODY is picking us to win.

That helps a pro develop an attitude.

I'm hoping the boys are pissed off and want to get a little professional redemption.

We've evolved into one of the fastest defenses in football. I think we matchup well with Seattles offense.
    Formerly known as JustinHarrell.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Irvin isn't Hughes, but Bach has to be stout, I think that observation is correct.

Fosco's link, the Seattle Defense 3 GIF is an example of a Packer package play. There are routes downfield, Rodgers passes right but watch Bach on the left. He cuts the RDE (successfully) and Kuhn or someone is open short for what is essentially a naked screen. Bulaga blew his cut block though so Rodgers had to delay what was going to be a screen to Lacy and that delay allowed the D to rally forward.
    I did LOL at Hughes being a poor man's Bruce Irvin. Buffalo's DL is quite a bit better than Seattle's, with the exception of Bennett.

Speed off of the edge will make me nervous until the Packers can get through a few drives and prove that won't be an issue.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/article...7-c775f96ba708

18 - number of tackles missed by Packers in Wk1.

That is a huge key!

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    You know, I don't think our corners have been able to come down with a jump ball in a while. I think we're due for one.
    Yeah, this year doesn't scream interceptions to me. I miss the days of Nick Collins.

Waiting for HHCD to start grabbing those INTs, but it probably won't be until next year or the year after when he knows this defense in his sleep.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Everyone s favorite pundit, Ask Vic, stated of the Seabuzzards, teams that hit don't like to be hit. I think the Pack, especially the O-Line, come out with something to prove and pound Lacy up their ass like a Starbux enema.

Quote Originally Posted by George Cumby View Post
    Everyone s favorite pundit, Ask Vic, stated of the Seabuzzards, teams that hit don't like to be hit. I think the Pack, especially the O-Line, come out with something to prove and pound Lacy up their ass like a Starbux enema.
    +1. Seattle is fast, but not very big up front.

I think the Seattle D is a little worse than they were in week 1 and our offense is a whole lot better than early in the year.
    -Development of Adams and Rodgers
    -Normal slow start by the Packer OL
    -Sherrod at RT
    -Lacy slow start this year
    Last edited by Bossman641; 01-14-2015 at 12:42 PM.
    Go PACK