Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you beat the Seahawks?

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    These Seahawks are built opposite the 2010 Packers defense but with a similar philosophy.

Their great strength is their secondary, but what good is a secondary if you don't get to use it? They scheme almost exclusively against the run. 4-3 over aligned as a 3-4 would with a 2-gaping NT and 5-tech on the field. 8 in the box is so normal with Kam Chancellor you could call their base D a 4-4 split. They dare you to pass which maximizes their advantage.

In 2009 the Packers were an elite rushing defense. In 2010 we used this to our advantage by daring our opponents to run by staying in nickel all the time. Seattles version is much better because its inherently resilient to playing defense with offense but the game planning philosophy is the same. In 2011 even though we kept selling out against the pass, our pass defense sprung enough leaks that the whole defense unraveled anyways.

Mebane could be their version of Nick Collins. Maybe not on his own but with the recent injury of Hill (basically this season's Clinton McDonald), that front could be leaky enough for us to run on even while they're daring us to pass. It's tough sledding but every play we're on the field is another opportunity for the MVP to find an exploit. Opportunities multiply as they are seized right?

I can't believe its only Thursday.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I am stunned to see Steve Smith stopped by a one handed punch. Smith isn't tall and he is old, maybe he has lost a thing or two or just didn't expect it in that spot.

But any receiver worth his salt should be able to abuse that technique. Not to mention stopping and bumping into Smith should be illegal contact or DPI, it was after five yards.

Unfortunately, I suspect if someone has trashed this technique earlier, I would have been alerted to the fire alarms going off at the First Take set.
    If the officials allow their secondary to bump our guys after 5 yards we might have a problem. Wasn't this crap they did last year the reason why the zebras were told to watch for that and penalize accordingly? After seeing that clip from the playoff game against Carolina - I'm assuming this clip is from that game - it appears the PI and illegal contact was being ignored again.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Well, that shot doesn't really stop Fitz, maybe slows him down a touch. It might as much to help Sherman get up to speed as slow down Fitz.

But its a bad throw, short and away from the sideline. Sherman can afford to look at the QB in the short area not because of route concepts, but because the safety is over the top, being patently unworried about the other side of the formation.
    Its been a while since Seattle has played an elite QB. The last time they did - Dallas and Romo had been playing great this year - they got beat at home.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    If the officials allow their secondary to bump our guys after 5 yards we might have a problem. Wasn't this crap they did last year the reason why the zebras were told to watch for that and penalize accordingly? After seeing that clip from the playoff game against Carolina - I'm assuming this clip is from that game - it appears the PI and illegal contact was being ignored again.
    Nah, that has to be at least last year - Smith was with the Ravens this year. Still, I'm certain he was getting similarly punched by Browner in the Patriot's game!
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Nah, that has to be at least last year - Smith was with the Ravens this year. Still, I'm certain he was getting similarly punched by Browner in the Patriot's game!
    Yes, you are right. Smith isn't with Carolina now. My bad.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Here's an excellent article about what the Packers might do differently against Seattle:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/14/201...-colts-packers
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

I think Kam Chancellor will have a big an impact as anyone on this game. He's a ball hawk and but maybe more importantly very good in run support. How successful he is in bringing down Lacy will matter a lot.

Will he try to jump over the line on a kick this week-end? There's tape on it now, so it would be much more difficult. He must've had the snap count down against Carolina, that stadium and the noise forcing a silent snap count would be a big help with that.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    I think Kam Chancellor will have a big an impact as anyone on this game. He's a ball hawk and but maybe more importantly very good in run support. How successful he is in bringing down Lacy will matter a lot.

Will he try to jump over the line on a kick this week-end? There's tape on it now, so it would be much more difficult. He must've had the snap count down against Carolina, that stadium and the noise forcing a silent snap count would be a big help with that.
    He mentioned somewhere that they noticed Carolina's longsnapper had a tell so he knew exactly when to jump.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro ~Hunter S.

He'd be a fool to do it with 4 and less than 5. We could easily change a silent count trigger and get a 1st down.

For 4 > 5- he'd be dumb to do it on long FGs - as any penalty would make a 2nd attempt easier.

For those other cases - I was shocked that the OL didn't pop up and clip his feet (on the 2nd attempt). As the Rams (Bates?) did it vs. the Giants (and the Niners) - it's now getting to be old news. The announcers were saying - "OMG, I've never seen that before...." they just may not watch ESPN.

I don't trust that Slocum will have them ready though... Fire that idiot.

I read somewhere online yesterday that Chancellor should have been penalized for lining up in front of the center and jumping over him like he did. We got flagged for having a player in front of the center against Miami in GB back in 2010. Evidently for safety's sake you aren't allowed to line up in front the center at all in FG/Xtra point tries.

Blog Entries
    It's probably been posted many times over, but I think the key to winning this game will be to stop Russell Wilson from sliding through gaps in the rushing lanes and running for key first downs on third down. He was 8 for 8 on third down against the Panthers I believe, whether running or throwing. He's a good passer but he's lethal when he's also running for big first downs. Lynch'll get his but as long as he has to work for his yards the Packers D will be OK if not for Wilson consistently moving the chains on third down. Those are back-breakers and he, along with Rodgers if he could run, are the best at improvising on second and third looks with a lot of space in front of them.

The first team to 24 wins I think. Packers got a shot but they're clearly the underdog.

Oday's lack of faith concerns me. He's been leading the charge when the rest of the world has been down on the Pack it seems, so if you're not seeing it Tony, the Packers are in trouble.

Maybe DickRod will ring Chancelor's bell on a quick pass down the seam and sit him down or something to tilt the field to the Packers' side. Someone like Jarrett Bush, Hyde, Quarless, Daniels or even Brad Jones (yes I fear he's going to see time as Wilson's spy in some of those third down situations) needs to make a passionate play to get momentum and make Seattle, their fans and the world go, "Where the hell did THAT come from?"

Stubby with a trick play, fake punt or something - maybe Cobb throwing one out of the backfield in this one to take advantage of Seattle's aggressiveness. I've seen him throw in camp and he does have a gun going to his left.

HUGE game with HUGE ramifications. Win, lose or draw, it's gonna be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Fosco33 View Post
    He'd be a fool to do it with 4 and less than 5. We could easily change a silent count trigger and get a 1st down.

For 4 > 5- he'd be dumb to do it on long FGs - as any penalty would make a 2nd attempt easier.

For those other cases - I was shocked that the OL didn't pop up and clip his feet (on the 2nd attempt). As the Rams (Bates?) did it vs. the Giants (and the Niners) - it's now getting to be old news. The announcers were saying - "OMG, I've never seen that before...." they just may not watch ESPN.

I don't trust that Slocum will have them ready though... Fire that idiot.
    If they bait him into it and/or Lang takes him out, he'll probably end up in the lockerroom going through the concussion protocol.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I read somewhere online yesterday that Chancellor should have been penalized for lining up in front of the center and jumping over him like he did. We got flagged for having a player in front of the center against Miami in GB back in 2010. Evidently for safety's sake you aren't allowed to line up in front the center at all in FG/Xtra point tries.
    Actually he jumped over the G. The DL left a gap there for him.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    It's probably been posted many times over, but I think the key to winning this game will be to stop Russell Wilson from sliding through gaps in the rushing lanes and running for key first downs on third down.
    Contain Wilson is the key on defense. He's been absolute money for them, making plays running around, extending plays, picking up first downs. All that does is uncover pedestrian offensive weapons. I'd look for Seattle to try to go deep with their young WR speed. If Wilson isn't kept between the tackles, guys will get open, and get open deep. Wilson has the arm to get it to them. Have to keep him bottled up.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Contain Wilson is the key on defense. He's been absolute money for them, making plays running around, extending plays, picking up first downs. All that does is uncover pedestrian offensive weapons. I'd look for Seattle to try to go deep with their young WR speed. If Wilson isn't kept between the tackles, guys will get open, and get open deep. Wilson has the arm to get it to them. Have to keep him bottled up.
    He's money no doubt about it. At least he'll be costing Seattle what he's worth to them very soon. Unfortunately that don't mean shit this Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    He's money no doubt about it. At least he'll be costing Seattle what he's worth to them very soon. Unfortunately that don't mean shit this Sunday.
    Agreed. They're about to have rich team problems very, very soon though not soon enough.

Well, this one falls under the "Every Little Bit Helps" category:

The Seahawks have never played a noon game at home. As much as NFL teams love a routine, maybe this will annoy them just a bit.

The Packers are really in a good spot. They've got the league's best offense, their best OL, the (hobbled) MVP, a good running game and a much improved defense. Their defense can play well without relying on turnovers. Special teams still sucks but it is what it has been -- a liability that often leaks field position. And yet, they're getting very little respect in the media. Tanier might have been the most positive about their chances in this game and picked them to lose by 2. This is the moment where M3 thrives.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by denverYooper View Post
    The Packers are really in a good spot. They've got the league's best offense, their best OL, the (hobbled) MVP, a good running game and a much improved defense. Their defense can play well without relying on turnovers. Special teams still sucks but it is what it has been -- a liability that often leaks field position. And yet, they're getting very little respect in the media. Tanier might have been the most positive about their chances in this game and picked them to lose by 2. This is the moment where M3 thrives.
    This is the kind of game where McCarthy will look to be aggressive with his game management. Unless the Packers go up early and stay there, I think something unusual will happen and it'll be based on a decision by McCarthy.