Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4 MOVESthe PACKERS SHOULD HAVE MADE THIS OFFSEASON

Blog Entries

4 MOVESthe PACKERS SHOULD HAVE MADE THIS OFFSEASON

Nice Article...well it's offseason..at least it's entertaining

Completely agree on the TE spot

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...this-offseason
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Nice Article...well it's offseason..at least it's entertaining

Completely agree on the TE spot

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...this-offseason
    The TE spot is the only point where I might agree. There was no need to sign Daniels yet. Mentioning Hayward is just strange. The title of the Article is 4 Moves Green Bay Packers Should Have Made This Offseason, but then the writer points out that the injury situation is probably why he hasn't been signed. The comments on Hundley were equally strange.
    At the time, the move seemed shrewd. The Packers seemed likely to carry two quarterbacks behind Aaron Rodgers again this season, and Hundley is a prospect whom head coach Mike McCarthy could develop in his offseason quarterback school.

But trading up for Hundley handcuffed the Packers in some ways, too. Because of the investment, he is virtually a lock to make the 53-man roster. However, he's currently last on the depth chart.
    Aaron Rodgers was probably last on the depth chart after his first minicamp.

A lot of people on Packerrats could write a better article than this.

I don't agree with the article.

Getting guys extended is all well and good - but this team should be putting the finishing touches on making a push to win a championship. TT really didn't do that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree that an upgrade at TE would have been nice - but Quarless is servicable, and I like Backman okay... reminds me of a bigger/faster Ed West.

As for what this team desperately needed - at least 1 starting ILB, that was more than just a plugger; and given that we lost 2 capable outside CB's, we needed to address that as well. TT really didn't do either.

Rollins has more upside outside than anyone else we have. Maybe Hayward can play out there - maybe not. Randall is a huge projection outside, and I just don't see it with him. Ryan is more of a "plugger" ILB than a 3 down playmaker.

Add it up, and we're probably a little worse off than we were last year in the secondary - and we're still going to have to play Matthews inside for lack of filling that gaping hole.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same old TT - maybe this draft ends up looking great in 3-4 years, but it's not likely to win us a SB this year, unless the other teams around us take steps backward as well.

I want to win championships, not get to the dance every year and then get our asses kicked back to the airport for the offseason flight home.
    wist

Blog Entries
    I kind of agree with you Wist. I too wanted a real upgrade at ILB I think our cap could have afforded Williams, who made it known he really wanted to stay here.

But I think with Quarles our TE's are Junk, Junkier, and Junkiest. When we needed Quarles to make a play he dropped the ball against Seattle. Bottom line is we get no plays from TE with these JAG's and we REALLY DO miss JMIKE

I like our round two pick better than round one...but who knows how these CB's turn out. I agree we're a bit worse off there, and once again it's all in AROD's hands to lift this team to greatness.

But unlike previous years, I didn't feel like we got our asses kicked back to the airport. Our defense played 3.5 great quarters, and in the end, as many of us predicted.....we got Slocumized with another major screw job. It's one of my best but worst all time predictions a good week before the game...........

With Raji back, I might consider GB about the same as they were last year....in road to another 11-5 season and maybe on the brink of another SB. We deserved to win at Seattle and if we do we beat the Brady Bunch IMO. SO CLOSE

But once again...it's all on AROD and he'll have to be great for us to win the big show. I too would like to go with win now attitude....but appearently TT does not think GB needs as many pieces as you and I think
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    LOOK AT THIS ANOTHER WAY..........WHEN YOU SAW THE ARTICLE WHAT points popped into your mind..............HERE WERE MINE

1. Hiring the mother of all f'ups assistant....how has that worked for us.......when a couple special team coaches with a good track record were available. IMO MM is developing a history of doing this...hiring an assistant he really doesn't need with the possible plans of having him take over when other more qualified candidates are out there...........P.S............see how Shawn Slocum was hired.......

2. Ignoring the TE position.......I'm no record many times as not being fond of Quarless...he's an ok backup, like Richard Rodgers....but we don't need two low upside guys with average talent. Reports are we're taking this clown back....sad...very sad.....but that let's us know about the state of the TE's on our roster.

3. Not bringing in more ILB talent via free agency or the draft. Jake Ryan is fine.....hopefully better than I expect. And we lost J.A.G. Jones so that's already an upgrade. But the cup seems a bit bare there

4. ??????? Not sure...........

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    I kind of agree with you Wist. I too wanted a real upgrade at ILB I think our cap could have afforded Williams, who made it known he really wanted to stay here.

But I think with Quarles our TE's are Junk, Junkier, and Junkiest. When we needed Quarles to make a play he dropped the ball against Seattle. Bottom line is we get no plays from TE with these JAG's and we REALLY DO miss JMIKE

I like our round two pick better than round one...but who knows how these CB's turn out. I agree we're a bit worse off there, and once again it's all in AROD's hands to lift this team to greatness.

But unlike previous years, I didn't feel like we got our asses kicked back to the airport. Our defense played 3.5 great quarters, and in the end, as many of us predicted.....we got Slocumized with another major screw job. It's one of my best but worst all time predictions a good week before the game...........

With Raji back, I might consider GB about the same as they were last year....in road to another 11-5 season and maybe on the brink of another SB. We deserved to win at Seattle and if we do we beat the Brady Bunch IMO. SO CLOSE

But once again...it's all on AROD and he'll have to be great for us to win the big show. I too would like to go with win now attitude....but appearently TT does not think GB needs as many pieces as you and I think
    I agree with everything you said there...

As for TT though - we can all see where the holes are.

What we don't know is what kind of progress the year 2 and 3 guys have made. I guess Goodson is lining up with the starters in OTA's?? I think Goodson has better physical tools than Randall - so if he proves competent, we may be okay out there.

Lord knows we have enough slot DB's, lol... we're nothing short of silly with 'em
    wist

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    There is no question our TE situation is unfortunate. We'll need major strides from Dickrod to have a starting caliber player there.

I could see the secondary going either way. There is at least reason to be hopeful about the new corners since there are two of them and they were both high draft picks. Hayward, Hyde, and Shields is an average starting cast on their own. IMO it seems the secondary is always a little worse than the sum of its parts but I think year two of Haha might make this unit shine.

At ILB its impossible to say we're worse even if that just means replacing known bums with unknowns. If we can't get two starters with Barrington, Ryan, and Bradford at least we've got the "oh shit" plan of moving Clay Matthews already established this year.

If we are as blessed with injuries as we were last year I think the defense continues to improve.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

A TE upgrade was sorely needed before Q decided to show how small his dick was by firing a gun to try to impress girls. I could see extending Daniels before the season instead of waiting until the FA deadline, they might be able to get a little better deal with Daniels getting money earlier, with injury protection. As for Hayward, what do you base a salary offer on? Both sides pretty much have to let him play out this year. As for Hundley, the Packers draft board determined that he was worth trading up for, rather than risking not getting and picking whoever is left. Few 6th rounders make it more than a year, so losing one isn't a big deal.

2 out of 4 points were valid, I guess that's about par for BR articles not penned by Bowen.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

I'm not concerned about any of his four.

TE - Not a big deal. The offense requires a bunch of receiving threats, it doesn't matter if one is an exceptional TE or not. Lacy emerged as a receiving threat last year, WR should be at least 4 deep in quality this year, maybe even 5 deep; R Rodgers should get better; and Quarless is adequate to get by with anyway. They can put plenty-enough receiving threats on the field at any time.

Hayward & Daniels - Plenty of time to do something if they want to, and if they don't, I'm not concerned. History has shown the Packers do quite well in their decision making concerning their own FAs. When the Packers do extend a guy with a year left, it usually happens during camp or early in the season. One could get done yet.

3rd string QB - the writer criticizes lack of depth at TE because one might get hurt in camp, then argues that it is a mistake having 4 decent QB prospects when it seems clear they will keep three. Gee, what if one gets hurt in camp? Blanchard has quite an injury history as it is, who knows if he will survive camp. Trading up for Hundley was inconsequential, they still had 8 picks in a seven round draft. They gave up a low seventh round pick. Gee, what a waste! I doubt the "investment" guarantees Hundley a roster spot anymore that if they waited for him to fall to them at their regular position, the extra 7th round investment in him is often a PS player when all is said and done at the end of camp anyway. That is where Hundley might end up, regardless. Or, maybe Blanchard or Tolzien will show enough for some kind of trade at the end of camp.

ILB is better than last year by a substantial margin and the name of the improvement is Clay Matthews.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    ILB is better than last year by a substantial margin and the name of the improvement is Clay Matthews.
    Exactly. You shoulda seen Caper's eyes light up - and his spraypainthair (SPH) rise in excitement at the prospect of Matthews at the "ILB" position for a whole year. Caper's knows it's like the "W" position for Woodson. Take a great athlete and put him in a position to make plays. With Peppers anchoring the one side and Perry (run) and Neal (pass) on the other, pass rush is covered and so is the middle. Plus, SPH knows he has depth and talent in the slot and at safety to really fill up the middle in pass pro - which will cover for a 'plugger.'
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    I'm not concerned about any of his four.

TE - Not a big deal. The offense requires a bunch of receiving threats, it doesn't matter if one is an exceptional TE or not. Lacy emerged as a receiving threat last year, WR should be at least 4 deep in quality this year, maybe even 5 deep; R Rodgers should get better; and Quarless is adequate to get by with anyway. They can put plenty-enough receiving threats on the field at any time.

Hayward & Daniels - Plenty of time to do something if they want to, and if they don't, I'm not concerned. History has shown the Packers do quite well in their decision making concerning their own FAs. When the Packers do extend a guy with a year left, it usually happens during camp or early in the season. One could get done yet.

3rd string QB - the writer criticizes lack of depth at TE because one might get hurt in camp, then argues that it is a mistake having 4 decent QB prospects when it seems clear they will keep three. Gee, what if one gets hurt in camp? Blanchard has quite an injury history as it is, who knows if he will survive camp. Trading up for Hundley was inconsequential, they still had 8 picks in a seven round draft. They gave up a low seventh round pick. Gee, what a waste! I doubt the "investment" guarantees Hundley a roster spot anymore that if they waited for him to fall to them at their regular position, the extra 7th round investment in him is often a PS player when all is said and done at the end of camp anyway. That is where Hundley might end up, regardless. Or, maybe Blanchard or Tolzien will show enough for some kind of trade at the end of camp.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

Getting rid of Hawk and Jones improved that position almost as much as inserting Clay inside.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Exactly. You shoulda seen Caper's eyes light up - and his spraypainthair (SPH) rise in excitement at the prospect of Matthews at the "ILB" position for a whole year. Caper's knows it's like the "W" position for Woodson. Take a great athlete and put him in a position to make plays. With Peppers anchoring the one side and Perry (run) and Neal (pass) on the other, pass rush is covered and so is the middle. Plus, SPH knows he has depth and talent in the slot and at safety to really fill up the middle in pass pro - which will cover for a 'plugger.'
    Trust this, Rand is now a licensed reporter/source.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

It might really be spray paint.

Oh man that's bad.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    It might really be spray paint.

I'm telling you, from 2 feet away, it is not really spray painted. But it is definitely dyed and highly combed. Might be some serious hairspray in there to hold that right to left wave firmly in place. It's entirely possible it's a piece, as the greying is quite uniform, and seems to be only at the tips. It is highly unusual and not entirely natural to be sure. Quite a pelt.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    god that's awesome. "The Babes are Back!" (guy at 0:50 - Peyton Manning...)

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    How has everybody been? And where do I get a piece like that?