Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Ball Foul

Dead Ball Foul

When Clay Matthews got hit after whistle, why did Packers have to decline penalty rather than get 15 yards? The 3rd and 20 play then turns into 3rd and 35, probably game over.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    When Clay Matthews got hit after whistle, why did Packers have to decline penalty rather than get 15 yards? The 3rd and 20 play then turns into 3rd and 35, probably game over.
    I have no idea and I'd love to hear an explanation.
    Go PACK

Blog Entries
    I don't think it was a deal ball fould

He either takes the play and down or the 15
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

yeah that made no sense to me either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post

He either takes the play and down or the 15
    Why? It was a personal foul, was it not? I can't think of a situation where those are take the play or the yardage...the yardage is always tacked on to the result of the play.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    ya, but why not? Wilson is down. The offensive player piles on with late hit. That ALWAYS gets 15 tacked on to end of play. Otherwise, an offensive player has nothing to lose by spearing there.

how can it not be dead ball after the play. Wilson was down and he came in and hit him. shouldn't have mattered, how bout you rush the damn qb...

Quote Originally Posted by LEWCWA View Post
    yeah that made no sense to me either.
    why did I'm-Joe-this-is-Troy not mention anything? I'm not calling bias, just a strange lack of commentary on obviously strange call.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    why did I'm-Joe-this-is-Troy not mention anything? I'm not calling bias, just a strange lack of commentary on obviously strange call.
    Because they are morons?

Not all late hits are dead ball fouls. Matthews had just landed on Wilson when the O lineman came in.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Not all late hits are dead ball fouls. Matthews had just landed on Wilson when the O lineman came in.
    Judgement call, but the hit was not simultaneous with Wilson being down, it was a full second or more later

Just like Lang last week. Should have been 15 yards assessed from the spot. Aikman and Buck didn't even mention the guy jumping offsides on Sherman's interception.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

It was a nightmare all the way around.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    So then what would it be? 15 yards from the spot of the foul? 15 yards from the LOS?
    Go PACK

yeah i also noted in the game thread that it made absolutely no sense

it should be tacked on at the end of the play, if not you would have cheap shots all over the place on every big loss

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    So then what would it be? 15 yards from the spot of the foul? 15 yards from the LOS?
    If its not dead ball (and I understand Harv's argument that is was the same as Lang's last week) then either you decline and take the sack for minus 7 and the down OR you take the penalty, the down doesn't move and instead of loss of 7 its loss of fifteen.

I gotta be honest, I would rather take the down away on a sack than accept the penalty and replay the down. But 15 PLUS the sack and down would be ideal.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    it should be tacked on at the end of the play, if not you would have cheap shots all over the place on every big loss
    right. And just from watching the play and comparing to how it is called routinely, you tack on 15.

I get pbmax's point that if it is a spearing that occurs before end of play, you get a choice. But spearing had no effect on play, Russell was down for at least a second. I'd like to see a replay to confirm my memory.

I guess the whistle determines a dead ball...even though the ball should've been dead once Wilson was down by contact with Clay Matthews on top of him.

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    I guess the whistle determines a dead ball...even though the ball should've been dead once Wilson was down by contact with Clay Matthews on top of him.
    probably so. but that just means we torch a different official's house tonight.

As we all suspected it appears the play was called incorrectly

Play: Seahawks offensive lineman J.R. Sweezy penalized for unnecessary roughness in live action
    Referee: Tony Corrente
    Analysis: With 8:02 remaining in the third quarter, Packers linebacker Clay Matthews sacked Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson for a 15-yard loss. Matthews landed on top of Wilson during the play, at which point Sweezy dove into Matthews' back to peel him off the pile.

Corrente's crew correctly penalized Sweezy, but the Packers declined to enforce. Why? Because Corrente did not rule it a "dead ball foul," which would have tacked the 15-yard penalty on top of the 15-yard sack and led to a second-and-45 situation. Instead, he apparently believed Sweezy hit Matthews before Wilson was down.

Viewed on replay, it's clear Wilson's knee had touched the ground before Sweezy hit Matthews. Rule 7, Section 2, Article 1 directs officials to call the ball dead and the down complete "when a runner is contacted by an opponent and touches the ground with any body part other than his hands or feet. The ball is dead the instant the runner touches the ground."

The Packers should not have been in position to choose between declining the penalty or giving the Seahawks another first-and-15. It's fair to note, of course, that the Packers could have made the call moot had they stopped the Seahawks on an ensuing third-and-19 two plays later.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...t-on-tom-brady
    Go PACK