Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Ball Foul

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dead Ball Foul

When Clay Matthews got hit after whistle, why did Packers have to decline penalty rather than get 15 yards? The 3rd and 20 play then turns into 3rd and 35, probably game over.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    When Clay Matthews got hit after whistle, why did Packers have to decline penalty rather than get 15 yards? The 3rd and 20 play then turns into 3rd and 35, probably game over.
    I have no idea and I'd love to hear an explanation.
    Go PACK

how can it not be dead ball after the play. Wilson was down and he came in and hit him. shouldn't have mattered, how bout you rush the damn qb...

Blog Entries
    I don't think it was a deal ball fould

He either takes the play and down or the 15
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post

He either takes the play and down or the 15
    Why? It was a personal foul, was it not? I can't think of a situation where those are take the play or the yardage...the yardage is always tacked on to the result of the play.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    ya, but why not? Wilson is down. The offensive player piles on with late hit. That ALWAYS gets 15 tacked on to end of play. Otherwise, an offensive player has nothing to lose by spearing there.

yeah that made no sense to me either.

Quote Originally Posted by LEWCWA View Post
    yeah that made no sense to me either.
    why did I'm-Joe-this-is-Troy not mention anything? I'm not calling bias, just a strange lack of commentary on obviously strange call.

why did I'm-Joe-this-is-Troy not mention anything? I'm not calling bias, just a strange lack of commentary on obviously strange call.
    Because they are morons?
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Not all late hits are dead ball fouls. Matthews had just landed on Wilson when the O lineman came in.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Not all late hits are dead ball fouls. Matthews had just landed on Wilson when the O lineman came in.
    Judgement call, but the hit was not simultaneous with Wilson being down, it was a full second or more later

So then what would it be? 15 yards from the spot of the foul? 15 yards from the LOS?
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    So then what would it be? 15 yards from the spot of the foul? 15 yards from the LOS?
    If its not dead ball (and I understand Harv's argument that is was the same as Lang's last week) then either you decline and take the sack for minus 7 and the down OR you take the penalty, the down doesn't move and instead of loss of 7 its loss of fifteen.

I gotta be honest, I would rather take the down away on a sack than accept the penalty and replay the down. But 15 PLUS the sack and down would be ideal.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I thought the yards should have been given to the packers after the penalty. The penalty resulted after that sack.

Why then was the penalty declined? Who declined it? Mike McCarthy.

Was this part of MM trying to keep the game 'FUN'.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201501...yze=playbyplay

3RD Quarter:

1-15-GB 44 (8:02) 3-R.Wilson sacked at SEA 41 for -15 yards (52-C.Matthews). Penalty on SEA-64-J.Sweezy, Unnecessary Roughness, declined.

See the Highlight.

I swear ... If I was just a casual fan the obvious might come up.

Was this game fixed !?
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    I thought the yards should have been given to the packers after the penalty. The penalty resulted after that sack.

Why then was the penalty declined? Who declined it? Mike McCarthy.

Was this part of MM trying to keep the game 'FUN'.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201501...yze=playbyplay

3RD Quarter:

1-15-GB 44 (8:02) 3-R.Wilson sacked at SEA 41 for -15 yards (52-C.Matthews). Penalty on SEA-64-J.Sweezy, Unnecessary Roughness, declined.

See the Highlight.

I swear ... If I was just a casual fan the obvious might come up.

Was this game fixed !?
    Come on Woody, really you are blaming MM on this. You have no idea what was said.

This is how I think it might have went down.

Ref: Coach do you want the penalty or the play?
    MM: What??? The hit was after the play it was a dead ball foul.
    Ref: The ref who threw the flag said it occurred during the play.
    MM: No way, that should be tacked on to the end of the play.
    Ref: So, do you want it to be 1st and 30 or 2nd and 30?
    MM: We will decline the penalty and make it 2nd down but you know that was after the play was dead.

What else could MM do? Jump up and down and scream at the ref? Hold his breath?

If the ref says the roughness occurred during the play the correct call in that spot is to decline the penalty and take the 15 yard loss on the sack!
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    If the ref says the roughness occurred during the play the correct call in that spot is to decline the penalty and take the 15 yard loss on the sack!
    I understand your giving Mike the benefit of the doubt, your scenario is plausible.

As Pierra pointed out, the hit was legal if it was during the play. It does seem like one ref must have gotten confused and blew it. The next play was run without any evident hoopla or controversy. I think if MM had raised more of a fuss - perhaps calling a timeout if necessary to do it - the refs would have gotten together and fixed a pretty clearly blown call. What we SHOULD have seen on TV was a red-faced McCarthy, jumping up and down and throwing his clipboard into the ground. That might even have gotten the attention of sleepy Troy & Joe.

The excuse I give Large Mike is that his support staff let him down. There was a lot of poor communication throughout game.

There was a lot of poor communication throughout game.
    Irony.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

I understand your giving Mike the benefit of the doubt, your scenario is plausible.

As Pierra pointed out, the hit was legal if it was during the play. It does seem like one ref must have gotten confused and blew it. The next play was run without any evident hoopla or controversy. I think if MM had raised more of a fuss - perhaps calling a timeout if necessary to do it - the refs would have gotten together and fixed a pretty clearly blown call. What we SHOULD have seen on TV was a red-faced McCarthy, jumping up and down and throwing his clipboard into the ground. That might even have gotten the attention of sleepy Troy & Joe.

The excuse I give Large Mike is that his support staff let him down. There was a lot of poor communication throughout game.
    Refs don't change calls in this manner. Once it's been called and the discussion ends, it's in the books. It will be corrected during the week, but it stands for the game.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Just like Lang last week. Should have been 15 yards assessed from the spot. Aikman and Buck didn't even mention the guy jumping offsides on Sherman's interception.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

It was a nightmare all the way around.
    C.H.U.D.