Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dead Ball Foul

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    yeah i also noted in the game thread that it made absolutely no sense

it should be tacked on at the end of the play, if not you would have cheap shots all over the place on every big loss

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    it should be tacked on at the end of the play, if not you would have cheap shots all over the place on every big loss
    right. And just from watching the play and comparing to how it is called routinely, you tack on 15.

I get pbmax's point that if it is a spearing that occurs before end of play, you get a choice. But spearing had no effect on play, Russell was down for at least a second. I'd like to see a replay to confirm my memory.

I guess the whistle determines a dead ball...even though the ball should've been dead once Wilson was down by contact with Clay Matthews on top of him.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    I guess the whistle determines a dead ball...even though the ball should've been dead once Wilson was down by contact with Clay Matthews on top of him.
    probably so. but that just means we torch a different official's house tonight.

As we all suspected it appears the play was called incorrectly

Play: Seahawks offensive lineman J.R. Sweezy penalized for unnecessary roughness in live action
    Referee: Tony Corrente
    Analysis: With 8:02 remaining in the third quarter, Packers linebacker Clay Matthews sacked Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson for a 15-yard loss. Matthews landed on top of Wilson during the play, at which point Sweezy dove into Matthews' back to peel him off the pile.

Corrente's crew correctly penalized Sweezy, but the Packers declined to enforce. Why? Because Corrente did not rule it a "dead ball foul," which would have tacked the 15-yard penalty on top of the 15-yard sack and led to a second-and-45 situation. Instead, he apparently believed Sweezy hit Matthews before Wilson was down.

Viewed on replay, it's clear Wilson's knee had touched the ground before Sweezy hit Matthews. Rule 7, Section 2, Article 1 directs officials to call the ball dead and the down complete "when a runner is contacted by an opponent and touches the ground with any body part other than his hands or feet. The ball is dead the instant the runner touches the ground."

The Packers should not have been in position to choose between declining the penalty or giving the Seahawks another first-and-15. It's fair to note, of course, that the Packers could have made the call moot had they stopped the Seahawks on an ensuing third-and-19 two plays later.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...t-on-tom-brady
    Go PACK

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    As we all suspected it appears the play was called incorrectly

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...t-on-tom-brady
    Excellent, that just makes it better this morning.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Its just impossible to get a well refereed game at this point. Just keep playing like your hair is on fire.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

i thought it was dead ball too and another 15. oh well.

Heard clip of Mike Pereira on Mike Heller radio show. Pereira said it was clearly a dead ball foul. He said if the play wasn't dead, the action would be no foul at all. So the call really made no sense.

That call was one of 20 plays that could have swung game. But that's how competitive games work.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Heard clip of Mike Pereira on Mike Heller radio show. Pereira said it was clearly a dead ball foul. He said if the play wasn't dead, the action would be no foul at all. So the call really made no sense.

That call was one of 20 plays that could have swung game. But that's how competitive games work.
    Unacceptable. That was a rudimentary call they butchered. I said in the game thread at the time I had never seen something like that and called it weird.

So where was stubby when the "penalty declined" announcement came? Why not waive the official over for an explanation? Maybe they give it a 2nd thought and properly enforce. But no, nothing.

That ref should be fined for such an easy miss and stubby needs to look in the mirror for what he could have done better too.

You think Belicheat, Carroll, or the like aren't going to question such an obvious miss?

Fail

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    Unacceptable. That was a rudimentary call they butchered. I said in the game thread at the time I had never seen something like that and called it weird.

So where was stubby when the "penalty declined" announcement came? Why not waive the official over for an explanation? Maybe they give it a 2nd thought and properly enforce. But no, nothing.

That ref should be fined for such an easy miss and stubby needs to look in the mirror for what he could have done better too.

You think Belicheat, Carroll, or the like aren't going to question such an obvious miss?

Fail

GOTTA AGREE HERE COMPLETELY
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus

So where was stubby when the "penalty declined" announcement came?
    If you don't know the answer to this question, then you shouldn't run Stubby over the coals for it. Perhaps he tried to question it and the refs blew him off. I too would like to know the answer, but until I do, I'll withhold judgement.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    If you don't know the answer to this question, then you shouldn't run Stubby over the coals for it. Perhaps he tried to question it and the refs blew him off. I too would like to know the answer, but until I do, I'll withhold judgement.
    It was a rhetoical question. Any HC in that situation is going to be tuned in to what the call is and process it.

It was a glaring bad call regarding lack of enforcement of the penalty. He should have been demanding an explanation before just moving on to the next play.

I don't recognize your authority to not allow me to pass judgement.

It was a rhetoical question. Any HC in that situation is going to be tuned in to what the call is and process it.

It was a glaring bad call regarding lack of enforcement of the penalty. He should have been demanding an explanation before just moving on to the next play.

I don't recognize your authority to not allow me to pass judgement.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Corrente's crew missed the offsides on the Sherman INT and also this one. They weren't the reason why we lost, but they were missed nonetheless.
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldean View Post
    Corrente's crew missed the offsides on the Sherman INT and also this one. They weren't the reason why we lost, but they were missed nonetheless.
    The missed offsides was a pretty big deal. Rodgers saw it and thought he had a free play. Good chance he doesn't try that throw without the offsides.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    The missed offsides was a pretty big deal. Rodgers saw it and thought he had a free play. Good chance he doesn't try that throw without the offsides.
    This was a topic of conversation throughout the year, especially at the Dallas tailgate: what happens if Rodgers sees a guy jumping early, but the refs miss it and he chucks up an INT? We were wondering if he'd get burned. And he did. In the most important game.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldean View Post
    Of course if the offsides was called correctly there is no telling if we score a TD on that drive or not.

MM coulda shoulda made a scene. Clock was stopped. Probably Stubby didn't see play well, fault might be with eye in sky.

Rodgers would have had a TD if he threw that ball to Adams on time, forget the missed call.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.