Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dead Ball Foul

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    As we all suspected it appears the play was called incorrectly

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...t-on-tom-brady
    Excellent, that just makes it better this morning.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Its just impossible to get a well refereed game at this point. Just keep playing like your hair is on fire.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

i thought it was dead ball too and another 15. oh well.

Heard clip of Mike Pereira on Mike Heller radio show. Pereira said it was clearly a dead ball foul. He said if the play wasn't dead, the action would be no foul at all. So the call really made no sense.

That call was one of 20 plays that could have swung game. But that's how competitive games work.

Corrente's crew missed the offsides on the Sherman INT and also this one. They weren't the reason why we lost, but they were missed nonetheless.
    -digital dean

No "TROLLS" allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Heard clip of Mike Pereira on Mike Heller radio show. Pereira said it was clearly a dead ball foul. He said if the play wasn't dead, the action would be no foul at all. So the call really made no sense.

That call was one of 20 plays that could have swung game. But that's how competitive games work.
    Unacceptable. That was a rudimentary call they butchered. I said in the game thread at the time I had never seen something like that and called it weird.

So where was stubby when the "penalty declined" announcement came? Why not waive the official over for an explanation? Maybe they give it a 2nd thought and properly enforce. But no, nothing.

That ref should be fined for such an easy miss and stubby needs to look in the mirror for what he could have done better too.

You think Belicheat, Carroll, or the like aren't going to question such an obvious miss?

Fail

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldean View Post
    Corrente's crew missed the offsides on the Sherman INT and also this one. They weren't the reason why we lost, but they were missed nonetheless.
    The missed offsides was a pretty big deal. Rodgers saw it and thought he had a free play. Good chance he doesn't try that throw without the offsides.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    Unacceptable. That was a rudimentary call they butchered. I said in the game thread at the time I had never seen something like that and called it weird.

So where was stubby when the "penalty declined" announcement came? Why not waive the official over for an explanation? Maybe they give it a 2nd thought and properly enforce. But no, nothing.

That ref should be fined for such an easy miss and stubby needs to look in the mirror for what he could have done better too.

You think Belicheat, Carroll, or the like aren't going to question such an obvious miss?

Fail

GOTTA AGREE HERE COMPLETELY
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus

So where was stubby when the "penalty declined" announcement came?
    If you don't know the answer to this question, then you shouldn't run Stubby over the coals for it. Perhaps he tried to question it and the refs blew him off. I too would like to know the answer, but until I do, I'll withhold judgement.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    The missed offsides was a pretty big deal. Rodgers saw it and thought he had a free play. Good chance he doesn't try that throw without the offsides.
    This was a topic of conversation throughout the year, especially at the Dallas tailgate: what happens if Rodgers sees a guy jumping early, but the refs miss it and he chucks up an INT? We were wondering if he'd get burned. And he did. In the most important game.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

MM coulda shoulda made a scene. Clock was stopped. Probably Stubby didn't see play well, fault might be with eye in sky.

Rodgers would have had a TD if he threw that ball to Adams on time, forget the missed call.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    If you don't know the answer to this question, then you shouldn't run Stubby over the coals for it. Perhaps he tried to question it and the refs blew him off. I too would like to know the answer, but until I do, I'll withhold judgement.
    It was a rhetoical question. Any HC in that situation is going to be tuned in to what the call is and process it.

It was a glaring bad call regarding lack of enforcement of the penalty. He should have been demanding an explanation before just moving on to the next play.

I don't recognize your authority to not allow me to pass judgement.

It was a rhetoical question. Any HC in that situation is going to be tuned in to what the call is and process it.

It was a glaring bad call regarding lack of enforcement of the penalty. He should have been demanding an explanation before just moving on to the next play.

I don't recognize your authority to not allow me to pass judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Not all late hits are dead ball fouls. Matthews had just landed on Wilson when the O lineman came in.
    I thought the yards should have been given to the packers after the penalty. The penalty resulted after that sack.

Why then was the penalty declined? Who declined it? Mike McCarthy.

Was this part of MM trying to keep the game 'FUN'.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201501...yze=playbyplay

3RD Quarter:

1-15-GB 44 (8:02) 3-R.Wilson sacked at SEA 41 for -15 yards (52-C.Matthews). Penalty on SEA-64-J.Sweezy, Unnecessary Roughness, declined.

See the Highlight.

I swear ... If I was just a casual fan the obvious might come up.

Was this game fixed !?
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    I thought the yards should have been given to the packers after the penalty. The penalty resulted after that sack.

Why then was the penalty declined? Who declined it? Mike McCarthy.

Was this part of MM trying to keep the game 'FUN'.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201501...yze=playbyplay

3RD Quarter:

1-15-GB 44 (8:02) 3-R.Wilson sacked at SEA 41 for -15 yards (52-C.Matthews). Penalty on SEA-64-J.Sweezy, Unnecessary Roughness, declined.

See the Highlight.

I swear ... If I was just a casual fan the obvious might come up.

Was this game fixed !?
    Come on Woody, really you are blaming MM on this. You have no idea what was said.

This is how I think it might have went down.

Ref: Coach do you want the penalty or the play?
    MM: What??? The hit was after the play it was a dead ball foul.
    Ref: The ref who threw the flag said it occurred during the play.
    MM: No way, that should be tacked on to the end of the play.
    Ref: So, do you want it to be 1st and 30 or 2nd and 30?
    MM: We will decline the penalty and make it 2nd down but you know that was after the play was dead.

What else could MM do? Jump up and down and scream at the ref? Hold his breath?

If the ref says the roughness occurred during the play the correct call in that spot is to decline the penalty and take the 15 yard loss on the sack!
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    If the ref says the roughness occurred during the play the correct call in that spot is to decline the penalty and take the 15 yard loss on the sack!
    I understand your giving Mike the benefit of the doubt, your scenario is plausible.

As Pierra pointed out, the hit was legal if it was during the play. It does seem like one ref must have gotten confused and blew it. The next play was run without any evident hoopla or controversy. I think if MM had raised more of a fuss - perhaps calling a timeout if necessary to do it - the refs would have gotten together and fixed a pretty clearly blown call. What we SHOULD have seen on TV was a red-faced McCarthy, jumping up and down and throwing his clipboard into the ground. That might even have gotten the attention of sleepy Troy & Joe.

The excuse I give Large Mike is that his support staff let him down. There was a lot of poor communication throughout game.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    There was a lot of poor communication throughout game.
    Irony.
    "You're all very smart, and I'm very dumb." - Partial

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Stubby probably had his head in his play-sheet and never saw the play. Instead of talking to the ref, he was probably shouting the next play into Rodgers' helmet.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    This is from the rule book"

Article 8(f) states in pertinent part:

"If a player uses any part of his helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/”hairline” parts) or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily. Although such violent or unnecessary use of the helmet and facemask is impermissible against any opponent, game officials will give special attention in administering this rule to protecting those players who are in virtually defenseless postures . . ." (Emphasis added.)

The ref could have penalized the SEA player for spearing/unnecessary roughness. That penalty can occur during a play.

-Tim Harmston