Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dead Ball Foul

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Stubby probably had his head in his play-sheet and never saw the play. Instead of talking to the ref, he was probably shouting the next play into Rodgers' helmet.
    Except we were on D at that point.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    Except we were on D at that point.
    Ooops!
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

The ref could have penalized the SEA player for spearing/unnecessary roughness. That penalty can occur during a play.
    Right. I didn't see any spearing. Pierra didn't see any spearing.

But regardless of your judgement there, the hit occurred a second (or more) after Russell Wilson was down. There is no reasonable argument that it wasn't a dead ball foul.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Ooops!
    Thank God for those adult diapers.

Jumbo Rat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    Right. I didn't see any spearing. Pierra didn't see any spearing.

But regardless of your judgement there, the hit occurred a second (or more) after Russell Wilson was down. There is no reasonable argument that it wasn't a dead ball foul.
    And I didn't say there was. It is a possibility that is all I am mentioning it for.

If the ref says it is during the play and the play clock is running already what can MM do? What does screaming at the ref do to help the team? The ref wasn't going to change his mind and I am sure had already given MM some sort of explanation of the penalty.
    But Rodgers leads the league in frumpy expressions and negative body language on the sideline, which makes him, like Josh Allen, a unique double threat.

-Tim Harmston

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Thank God for those adult diapers.
    Hey!!!!! ...I prefer to call them Maxie the Taxi Shock Absorbers.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Matthews fined $22K for his hit on Wilson (which I still maintain was clearly legal) and caused the Guard on the Seachickens to be fined $8K.

Net loss for him and Packers still.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

This is from the rule book"

Article 8(f) states in pertinent part:

"If a player uses any part of his helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/”hairline” parts) or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily. Although such violent or unnecessary use of the helmet and facemask is impermissible against any opponent, game officials will give special attention in administering this rule to protecting those players who are in virtually defenseless postures . . ." (Emphasis added.)

The ref could have penalized the SEA player for spearing/unnecessary roughness. That penalty can occur during a play.
    OK you've arrived and I assume your done with your smoke screen on this one.

The penalty 'in fact' was called and then declined!!

Where is Mike McCarthy on this one? Talking to the Officials about it or planning on the next offensive play or sucking air? Any query in such direction is a smoke screen. It doesn't matter what he did as much as what he didn't do or accomplish for his team on that play.

Mike McCarthy's job is to ensure that there is no way that penalty isn't enforced and Seattle pushed back deeper in their end of the field.

Two plays later Seattle has moved the ball from their 41 yard line (not their 25) down to the Packers 19 and have a first down.

Two ineffective Marshawn Lynch runs (1 yard and -1 yard) and a Russell Wilson incompleted pass and....

Pete Carroll and holder Jon Ryan burn the Packers 'Big time' on the FG fake. The start of something big.

A comeback !

That whole thing is certainly due in part to Mike McCarthy not doing his job by ensuring that Unneccessariy Roughness penalty called on J. R. Sweezy.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I understand your giving Mike the benefit of the doubt, your scenario is plausible.

As Pierra pointed out, the hit was legal if it was during the play. It does seem like one ref must have gotten confused and blew it. The next play was run without any evident hoopla or controversy. I think if MM had raised more of a fuss - perhaps calling a timeout if necessary to do it - the refs would have gotten together and fixed a pretty clearly blown call. What we SHOULD have seen on TV was a red-faced McCarthy, jumping up and down and throwing his clipboard into the ground. That might even have gotten the attention of sleepy Troy & Joe.

The excuse I give Large Mike is that his support staff let him down. There was a lot of poor communication throughout game.
    Refs don't change calls in this manner. Once it's been called and the discussion ends, it's in the books. It will be corrected during the week, but it stands for the game.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Matthews fined $22K for his hit on Wilson (which I still maintain was clearly legal) and caused the Guard on the Seachickens to be fined $8K.

Net loss for him and Packers still.
    I thought the Matthews hit was legal too, coming in from the side. BUT, the penalty didn't bother me in real time either. He got to put a nice like on the opposing team's QB. Chances are Wilson felt that right up until he started throwing TDs against a vacated secondary in the last 2 minutes.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    OK you've arrived and I assume your done with your smoke screen on this one.

Where is Mike McCarthy on this one? Talking to the Officials about it or planning on the next offensive play or sucking air? Any query in such direction is a smoke screen. It doesn't matter what he did as much as what he didn't do or accomplish for his team on that play.

Mike McCarthy's job is to ensure that there is no way that penalty isn't enforced and Seattle pushed back deeper in their end of the field.

Two plays later Seattle has moved the ball from their 41 yard line (not their 25) down to the Packers 19 and have a first down.

Two ineffective Marshawn Lynch runs (1 yard and -1 yard) and a Russell Wilson incompleted pass and....

Pete Carroll and holder Jon Ryan burn the Packers 'Big time' on the FG fake. The start of something big.

A comeback !

That whole thing is certainly due in part to Mike McCarthy not doing his job by ensuring that Unneccessariy Roughness penalty called on J. R. Sweezy.
    WB, do you still have the game recorded? What did the official describe the penalty as when he was saying the Packers declined it?

Thanks
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Refs don't change calls in this manner. Once it's been called and the discussion ends, it's in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    What did the official describe the penalty as when he was saying the Packers declined it?
    The call was "unnecessary roughness." I remember being a little confused by vagueness.

It is not unusual for refs to conference and pick up flags or otherwise alter calls - at least before the call is announced over PA. This call was never announced until AFTER McCarthy chose to decline penalty. And it happened VERY quickly. MM could have slowed that train down, forced a conference to review timing. He fucked up - or his staff did by not bringing wrong call to boss's attention.
    Last edited by Harlan Huckleby; 01-22-2015 at 04:25 PM.

It'd be interesting to hear the conversation between the official and MM.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    WB, do you still have the game recorded? What did the official describe the penalty as when he was saying the Packers declined it?

Thanks
    On that sack by Clay Matthews a flag is thrown.

Troy Aikman is impressed with Clay Matthews movement to pursue Russell Wilson and make that SACK.

Personal comment:

That clutch play by CM III caused an important set back against Seattle. The Seattle offense was moving the ball very well from their own 22 yard line to the Green Bay 39 yard line in four plays. That sack came following a Seattle False Start.

The game announcer announced " Personal Foul Offense Number 64 ... the penalty is declined...the result of the play is ... second down."
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

Why would you want him to accept the penalty, to make the Packers chances worse?

1. Given how the play was called McCarthy had a choice (play starts as 1st and 15 from the GB 44)

. . a. Take the sack, 2nd down and 30 from the Seattle 41

. . b. Take the penalty and make it 1st and 30 from the Seattle 41

What do he supposed to do?

Also, take note:

2. We have established despite earlier complaints that McCarthy was aware of the penalty and had to communicate to the refs.

3. We have also established McCarthy wasn't selecting the next play since the Packers were on Defense.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Read the comments. Jeez - I knew Seahawks were fair weather fans - but calling for cheap shot counterpunches makes them a bunch of pussies.

Yes, it was an illegal hit and he got both penalized and fined. Agreed that after the hit on Romo, that CM3's image isn't gaining any momentum.

I'm more pissed that Clay was gassed in the 4th Q and that played into the eventual loss. Lack of conditioning in NFCC? Always seems to be injured. For all the hype and plays he does make, I'm not sure the Packers are getting 110% value from his contract.

2nd and 45 is only a possibility if you think McCarthy can somehow force the refs to change the call. Under what interpretation of rules do you think this is possible?

Was a bad penalty. Matthews blocked into Wilson's chest. By definition, it's not a penalty. Should not have been flagged and should not have been fined. Rediculous.

If the refs and Seahawks don't want Wilson to get hammered after a turnover, he should take a knee and sit out the rest of the play. Bullshit that they fabricate shit like this.