Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Dead Ball Foul

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldean View Post
    Corrente's crew missed the offsides on the Sherman INT and also this one. They weren't the reason why we lost, but they were missed nonetheless.
    Of course if the offsides was called correctly there is no telling if we score a TD on that drive or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    I thought the Matthews hit was legal too, coming in from the side. BUT, the penalty didn't bother me in real time either. He got to put a nice like on the opposing team's QB. Chances are Wilson felt that right up until he started throwing TDs against a vacated secondary in the last 2 minutes.
    IMO the reason Clay was fined is because he hit the QB in the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    IMO the reason Clay was fined is because he hit the QB in the head.
    Oh yeah. Now that you say that, I may have wondered if that was the case when I saw the replay.

I do think it's unfortunate when a player slides into a blow like that. Clay wasn't going for the head, but Wilson is close to being on his knees at the point of contact. Still a technical penalty, but I don't have to like it.

And if Wilson is no longer the QB (i.e. after he throws the INT, he's just a defender like anyone else), does he still get that protection?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Why would you want him to accept the penalty, to make the Packers chances worse?

1. Given how the play was called McCarthy had a choice (play starts as 1st and 15 from the GB 44)

. . a. Take the sack, 2nd down and 30 from the Seattle 41

. . b. Take the penalty and make it 1st and 30 from the Seattle 41

What do he supposed to do?

Also, take note:

2. We have established despite earlier complaints that McCarthy was aware of the penalty and had to communicate to the refs.

3. We have also established McCarthy wasn't selecting the next play since the Packers were on Defense.
    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201501...yze=playbyplay

1-15-GB 44 (8:02) 3-R.Wilson sacked at SEA 41 for -15 yards (52-C.Matthews). Penalty on SEA-64-J.Sweezy, Unnecessary Roughness, declined.

Clearly Clay Matthews made the clean sack at the Seattle 41 yard line.

Then Seattle Guard J. Sweezy roughed Clay Matthews. That was more than a bang bang play.

I want Mike McCarthy to fight for what was correct. The results of the Unnecessary Roughness Penalty tacked on to where the ball was after the sack or the Seattle 41 yard line.

I want MM to ensure the officials place the ball at the Seattle 26 yard line.

I want the next play for Seattle to be a 2nd and 23.

2-23-SEA 26 (7:34)

Instead we got this interpretation of what happened after a clean sack at the Seattle 41 and then a clear (Unnecessary Roughness / Personal Foul ...'Pick One') Penalty.

We got the results of that:

2-30-SEA 41 (7:34) (Shotgun) 24-M.Lynch left tackle to GB 48 for 11 yards (42-M.Burnett).

3-19-GB 48 (6:51) (Shotgun) 3-R.Wilson pass deep right to 89-D.Baldwin to GB 19 for 29 yards (52-C.Matthews). Penalty on GB-52-C.Matthews, Illegal Use of Hands, declined.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 01-23-2015 at 10:27 AM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Oh yeah. Now that you say that, I may have wondered if that was the case when I saw the replay.

I do think it's unfortunate when a player slides into a blow like that. Clay wasn't going for the head, but Wilson is close to being on his knees at the point of contact. Still a technical penalty, but I don't have to like it.

And if Wilson is no longer the QB (i.e. after he throws the INT, he's just a defender like anyone else), does he still get that protection?
    I suppose if it had been Rodgers who got hit like that we wouldn't care for it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I suppose if it had been Rodgers who got hit like that we wouldn't care for it at all.
    Fair enough. But it was the opposing QB in a title game.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    I want Mike McCarthy to fight for what was correct. The results of the Unnecessary Roughness Penalty tacked on to where the ball was after the sack or the Seattle 41 yard line.

I want MM to ensure the officials place the ball at the Seattle 26 yard line.

I want the next play for Seattle to be a 2nd and 23.

2-23-SEA 26 (7:34)

Instead we got this interpretation of what happened after a clean sack at the Seattle 41 and then a clear (Unnecessary Roughness / Personal Foul ...'Pick One') Penalty.
    Call doesn't go the way you want it too.

Want McCarthy to "fix" the call the way it should be called.

When it doesn't happen, blame the coach.

By what rule does McCarthy force the officials to alter the call?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Was a bad penalty. Matthews blocked into Wilson's chest. By definition, it's not a penalty. Should not have been flagged and should not have been fined. Rediculous.

If the refs and Seahawks don't want Wilson to get hammered after a turnover, he should take a knee and sit out the rest of the play. Bullshit that they fabricate shit like this.
    I agree, but in real time, it sure looks like Wilson got knocked in the head. And it doesn't have to be helmet to helmet to get the call in a blindside block' as it was called. Still, the call is subject to some interpretation, depending on angle of contact etc. It was called because it was the QB and it looked severe. At the time I thought it was legal, but a bit of a cheap shot. Still, it would have been worth the penalty if Matthews knocks him from the game.

Rule:

Article 1 A player of either team may block (obstruct or impede) an opponent at any time, provided that the act is not:
    (p) illegal blindside block

Article 9 It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.
    (a) Players in a defenseless posture are:
    (8) A player who receives a “blindside” block when the blocker is moving toward his own endline and
    approaches the opponent from behind or from the side.
    (b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
    (1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him; and
    (2) Lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/”hairline” parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body.
    Note: The provisions of (2) do not prohibit incidental contact by the mask or helmet in the course of a conventional tackle on an opponent.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck