Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: THE INTERCEPTION BY BURNETT

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    There was just over 2:00 so I'm pretty sure they only need to run one play to the 2:00 warning. They go run - 2:00 warning, run 1:20, run 0:40, punt deep into Seattle territory with almost no time left. with a timeout there's 30 seconds to go the length of the field into the endzone. That's assuming they gain no yardage on any of those plays.

If they PASS the ball, there's a really good possibility of much more time left on the clock in addition to the possibility of something really bad happening as well.
    No - 1st down run - 2 minute warning. 2nd down run - TO. 3rd down run, 1:20. Punt. Seattle gets ball, scores on two plays in 25 seconds, onside recovery, TD in 25 seconds, onside recovery, TD in 25 seconds, onside recovery, victory formation.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I miss a lot of your good posts since I put you on my ignore list. Well, lets not go crazy with that "a lot" business.
    I took everyone off ignore, because - what's the point. Either I'm gonna see what's here or just leave, even if I hate some fucking posters.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I mentioned this in the other thread. I've never seen a db make a pick and slide immediately with 5 minutes left in the game. It was a 12 point game, the pick alone didn't seal shit(obviously). I don't care if he would have scored or not, you force some fat lineman to make a tackle. Any extra yardage there is incredibly significant, and maybe he scores. Incredibly stupid play.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I took everyone off ignore, because - what's the point. Either I'm gonna see what's here or just leave, even if I hate some fucking posters.
    I don't think there is such a thing as an ignore list. Madtown made a potemkin villiage ignore list for you to mess with you.

He also made me a "supreme leader level moderator"

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    There was just over 2:00 so I'm pretty sure they only need to run one play to the 2:00 warning. They go run - 2:00 warning, run 1:20, run 0:40, punt deep into Seattle territory with almost no time left. with a timeout there's 30 seconds to go the length of the field into the endzone. That's assuming they gain no yardage on any of those plays.

If they PASS the ball, there's a really good possibility of much more time left on the clock AND the possibility of Seattle getting the ball in packer territory.
    There was 2:09 left. If we had recovered the onside kick, it would have been another 1 or 2 sec on the clock. One running play would not have taken more than 6 - 7 seconds. Timeout, then the 2 min warming, run play and potentially punting at about the 1:15 mark. They still would have had time, but not much, we still needed a first down to clinch it.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

"I think what bothered me the most is that the mentality of the team went the way of that kneel down. At that point, I think too many Packers thought the game was over."

Yep!

sliding was stupid. you take it as far as you can.

He absolutely needs to try to extend the play and possibly score. If Peppers was motioning to go down....he was wrong as well. He looked to catch in near full stride. No O Lineman or QB going to stop him.

Quote Originally Posted by Packgator View Post
    He absolutely needs to try to extend the play and possibly score.
    I agree with you, except it is not so obvious. DBs are told that the smart thing to do is get down near end of game. Well, he miscalculated, but it wasn;t a super bonehead error.

Don't agree it was boneheaded, or even in the Top 5. Boneheaded would have been to keep running and losing the ball, or retreating trying to gain more yardage. There is nothing wrong with possession in that case. It wasn't ideal, but wasn't catastrophic.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Don't agree it was boneheaded, or even in the Top 5. Boneheaded would have been to keep running and losing the ball, or retreating trying to gain more yardage. There is nothing wrong with possession in that case. It wasn't ideal, but wasn't catastrophic.
    Totally agree. Wish he had run, but who expected what was to come?

But when have you ever seen a db slide immediately after a pick with that much time left? We were only up 12 and they had all three timeouts. I would call it pretty boneheaded and extremely vaginal. You can't be THAT afraid of fumbling the ball after an interception

Quote Originally Posted by yetisnowman View Post
    But when have you ever seen a db slide immediately after a pick with that much time left? We were only up 12 and they had all three timeouts. I would call it pretty boneheaded and extremely vaginal. You can't be THAT afraid of fumbling the ball after an interception
    I agree he should have tried to advance it. But even of he gains another 25 yards, does that change the game?

Fumbling it would have. It wasn't good, but it wasn't devastating.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I agree he should have tried to advance it. But even of he gains another 25 yards, does that change the game?

this is about right

Um, yeah. We would've easily been in Crosby's FG range.

That said...I don't mind him sliding. It is up to McCarthy and the offense to make sure Seattle doesn't get the ball back with the capacity to win the game. McCarthy apparently felt that meant running the ball and getting blown up repeatedly for losses simply in an effort to eat up clock and avoid a turnover. It was conservative...and it gave Seattle a chance. I don't like the conservative call when you have the best QB in the NFL on your squad and a bunch of beat up Seahawk secondary players. If you are the Bengals...hell, yeah, be conservative. If you have Rodgers, you try whatever you think is necessary to ENSURE you win the game.

run-run-run-punt wasn't it.
    Last edited by King Friday; 01-18-2015 at 10:06 PM.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Went down on the Packer 43. 25 yards gets you to the Seahawk 32. That's a 49 yarder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Watched this several times and I'm not seeing what others do

MB makes a nice pick and slides; it appears 56...Peppers kind of hand motions him to go to ground as he's sliding and jogs to the sideline while he goes down

But there is a player coming up and inscreen...I think a OL....only a few yds away for the tackle

He doesn't have nothing but green ahead. It doesn't appear he's going far

I can't fault him on this
    It just looked weird giving the time remaining in the game.

When he went down I was certainly surprized.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Seriously? Every bit of yardage has the potential to change the game, especially 25 yds. And maybe he scores. Maybe we kick a field goal after he returns it to the 30. Maybe even if we punt after the pick the extra yards he picks up allows us to pin them deeper. You just don't know. I gauge how stupid something was, based on the fact that I've never seen it before. You don't slide in that spot unless you have enough time to kneel the clock out. Otherwise guys would always just slide after making picks if there was any chance of being tackled on the return and fumbling.

Seriously? Every bit of yardage has the potential to change the game, especially 25 yds. And maybe he scores. Maybe we kick a field goal after he returns it to the 30. Maybe even if we punt after the pick the extra yards he picks up allows us to pin them deeper.you just don't know. I gauge how stupid something was, based on how I've never seen it before. You don't slide in that spot unless you have enough time to kneel the clock out. Otherwise guys would always just slide after making picks if there was any chance of being tackled on the return and fumbling.
    I agree that a return might have been all those things. It could also have resulted in a turnover. But it wasn't catastrophic. Possession was back where it needed to be. It was a net good. You can't call net plus catastrophic. Missed opportunity.

You don't slide in that spot unless you have enough time to kneel the clock out.
    That is the problem...the Packers DID think they only had to take a knee to win the game. It was a tragic and flawed decision to put the result of the game on the shoulders of your prevent defense and error-prone special teams...instead of your $20M QB and vaunted offense.

Herm got it right...you play to WIN the game. Run-run-run-punt with 5 min left in the game and only up 12 on the road is not playing to win, but playing not to lose.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!