Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: THE INTERCEPTION BY BURNETT

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Patler View Post
    Sorry. I've seen quite a few posters railing on Jones for doing that, and I suspect Jones is only doing what they want him to do. I think the fake succeeded because GB/Slocum was so predictable, especially because Chad Morton is in Seattle with the inside dope on Slocum from his time in GB.
    Jones wasn't the guy who let a receiver slip behind him for the TD
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Jones wasn't the guy who let a receiver slip behind him for the TD
    So you are blaming Hawk?

I think as the play unfolded, Hawk made the right decision, since House was out to lunch on the play and stood there watching Ryan run past him. If Hawk goes with the receiver, Ryan picks up the 1st down easily and probably a lot more. Hawk prevented that and put pressure on Ryan in making the throw. He prevented the run for a first and made the throw more difficult. Therefore he impacted both options Ryan had. At that point, you hope for a bad throw from a punter, a drop by the tackle-elligible receiver, or enough recovery by one of the little, quick guys to get back on the receiver.

House could have done what Hawk did, allowing Hawk to go with the receiver. When he didn't, Hawk tried to make the best out of a quickly deteriorating situation.

If that is the design, its another in a long line of bad Slocum plans.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    If that is the design, its another in a long line of bad Slocum plans.
    That's just it. House was on the end, took a few steps at the snap, then stopped standing up as Ryan started to get up. House did nothing until Ryan was well outside of him when he finally turned to follow. Since House clearly was not firing off in an attempt to disrupt the kick, I can only assume he had some responsibility in the event of a fake or botch. Otherwise, he was serving no earthly purpose on the play at all.

MM said he loves Slocum's "creativity". This may be an example of it.

By coming up, Hawk at least forced Ryan to throw. With a punter throwing to a tackle, anything can happen. If Hawk went with the receiver, he was conceding the first down to Ryan by running, because there was no one else close.

Not to pick at the scab too much, but for those who didn't really seen the open green in front of Burnett I offer you the full-22 image just after the pick.

If Hawk went with the receiver, he was conceding the first down to Ryan by running, because there was no one else close.
    I've watched replay several times, what you are saying is not true. Ryan had long way to go for first and two Packers between him and marker. McGinn watched replay closely too
    Hawk was stationed behind the FG block front for his experience, not his athleticism. His mistake — running up on fourth and 10 when the punter couldn't hurt the Packers instead of staying back on the man who could — probably was as egregious as Bostick's.
    http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...289108751.html

This is the big thing to me. I have a feeling when that happened, it woke up a defeated team. They saw this shit and got pissed off! They were on their sideline seething "these fuckers think the game is over"! They left everything on the field the last 5 minutes. You can't play football that way or anything else for that matter....It obviously carried over to the defense as well....totally different team after that!

I'm with HH. I think House might have tracked down Ryan before he reached the marker. It would have been close. And I understand Hawk was just reacting, but it's a hell of a lot better to give up a first down then leave a guy wide open in the end zone.
    Go PACK

He coulda scored! fucking dumb.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    And I understand Hawk was just reacting, but it's a hell of a lot better to give up a first down then leave a guy wide open in the end zone.
    Hawk's first reaction was to cover the lumbering former TE. You can see it for full second. Then came the Bostick moment and it was, "Run, Forrest, run!" towards Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by LEWCWA View Post
    This is the big thing to me. I have a feeling when that happened, it woke up a defeated team.
    yep, changed psychology of both teams. Turning point.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    You can blame anyone you want to and sure he could have set up another scoring opportunity, but Rodgers and the offense could have done that on their own as well. Everyone sucked and made terrible mistakes.

That was a devastating loss. I am heartbroken. It's much like the damn 4th-and-26 loss, except this time it was for a trip to the SB, not to the next round.

But Nutz is right: everyone sucked. Enough blame to go around - the offense had the ball with four minutes left and couldn't get a first down, much less run out the clock. Then they could get downfield later, but couldn't score a winning TD. ST sucked hard, twice: the fake field goal, which every Packer fan was screaming to watch out for BEFORE the snap, and the Bostick Epic Fail. And the defense, of course, letting Seattle score two touchdowns in four minutes and another in OT after playing a great, great game for the 56 minutes before that. And let's not forget the coaching: MM's nut sack shriveling up in the last four minutes of that game.

Sheesh. You have a twelve point lead AND the ball with four minutes left, and you can't close the deal.

I can't even read about the SB or the Packers or anything else right now. I'm sick about this loss. I'm going to be off the board for a while.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    yep, changed psychology of both teams. Turning point.
    I disagree. The defense of the fake was botched, but it was an act of desperation. The Packers scored again, making it a two TD game. The critical moment was the final INT. Everything changed after that, because the Packers shut it down, beginning with the slide.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Not to pick at the scab too much, but for those who didn't really seen the open green in front of Burnett I offer you the full-22 image just after the pick.
    no doubt in my mind he at least gets in FG range with even a reasonable run back. Makes the 35 at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    I'm with HH. I think House might have tracked down Ryan before he reached the marker. It would have been close. And I understand Hawk was just reacting, but it's a hell of a lot better to give up a first down then leave a guy wide open in the end zone.
    House didn't have a chance. He only got even remotely close because Ryan slowed up to collect himself to throw. Had Ryan seen Hawk retreating, he would have kept his head down and run. No way does House catch him if he does that.

I just watched it a couple more times. On the other side, Hayward (I think) was lined up the same as House. Each took only about two steps up field and stopped. The difference was that Hayward kept his feet and shoulders square, House turned his shoulders inward. Hayward was able to turn and run back must faster than House reacted to Ryan right in front of him.

Patler's new avatar.

C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    I disagree. The defense of the fake was botched, but it was an act of desperation. The Packers scored again, making it a two TD game. The critical moment was the final INT. Everything changed after that, because the Packers shut it down, beginning with the slide.
    Hey. that belongs in the other thread. A perfect name for this god damned game: The Slide.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Hey. that belongs in the other thread. A perfect name for this god damned game: The Slide.
    that's what I proposed. I was trying to make a play on "electric slide" like Elected Slide, but i dunno, it doesn't sound all that good and like Fritz says, we're kicking ourselves in the nutz.

House didn't have a chance. He only got even remotely close because Ryan slowed up to collect himself to throw. Had Ryan seen Hawk retreating, he would have kept his head down and run. No way does House catch him if he does that.

I just watched it a couple more times. On the other side, Hayward (I think) was lined up the same as House. Each took only about two steps up field and stopped. The difference was that Hayward kept his feet and shoulders square, House turned his shoulders inward. Hayward was able to turn and run back must faster than House reacted to Ryan right in front of him.
    Either House screwed up, or Slocum designed the FG block thinking that teams would only ever roll out right on a fake.

The outside guy on the right (Bush) does a wide rush that would have contained the punter rolling out his way. Richardson (second in line) immediately backs off the LOS at the snap. Compare that to how the other side of the line plays it.
    Outside guy on the left (House) makes a hard rush off the edge and then slows up. Jones (second in line) also makes a hard rush off the edge.

I still think House might have caught Ryan. Ryan slows up to gather himself at about the 25, he would have had to run all the way to the 9 to convert.

This link has GIF's from both sides of the field.

http://thebiglead.com/2015/01/18/sea...ensive-tackle/
    Go PACK