Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: An Attempt At Discussing McCarthy's Future

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Not including Rodgers, who was not going to have any called runs:

29 rushes for the game (21 Lacy, 5 Starks, 1 Cobb, 2 Kuhn). 16 in the first half, 13 in the second half.
    Looks like I missed a few...I'll check that .. Thanks.

I'm trying to establish that MM reached his check point of 20 running plays.

He reached his check point of 20 points.

That adds up to conservative thinking and a lost game. MM in my view calls a game to get a lead and protect that lead. He calls plays simply not to lose...like maybe? ... as he says:

The games are 'simply' fun to him. I cannot yet prove that.

Certainly ... Mike McCarthy's not like my choice as the finest Modern Era Head Coach and play caller Bill Belichick.

Belichick and especially with the competitively aggressive Tom Brady as his QB cannot score enough points in a game. New England plays offense to absolutely bury the other team. In other words:

The New England Patriots get a choke hold on the games score in their favor and absolutely 'choke out' the opposing team. A team may beat Belichick and Brady once; but to get that job done two times in a row, and in the same season .... is a formidable task. I cannot express just how many times I've observed Brady drive for a TD and immediately after a small to grander celebration. He'll be right back to the sidelines analyzing and working on the next TD.

A FG for Tom Brady is like slapping the school yard bully and running away. That 'Big Prick' is going to eventually try to beat the crap out of you.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 02-04-2015 at 04:56 AM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Writers vote Jim Caldwell NFC North Coach of the Year - ESPN

Comment woodbuck27:

Green Bay Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy finished second in the voting.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 02-04-2015 at 11:21 AM.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Writers vote Jim Caldwell NFC North Coach of the Year - ESPN

Comment woodbuck27:

Green bay Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy finished second in the voting.

"Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

I'm trying to establish that MM reached his check point of 20 running plays.

He reached his check point of 20 points.
    No he didn't. If you go back to that quote, he wanted 20 rushes in the second half. And as was made evident by the passing for a FG, he didn't just want to call running plays because that was the entire game plan. He wanted the lead and then he wanted to bury the clock by running it out.

From a first level analysis, that strategy is sound. Most winning teams have big running numbers in the second half while they have the lead and they want the clock to run. Remember the old chestnut about the Cowboys being 76-6 when Tony Dorsett rushes for 100 yards? That was because the Cowboys had second half leads in those games and they ran Dorsett to shorten the game and reduce the chance of turnovers.

But if you look closer, running can cost you and help the opposition if you are not getting first downs while running down the clock. And that describes what was happening to the Packer offense in the second half. It wasn't efficient enough and there was too much time left for 5 runs in 6 plays to bleed the clock far enough. It took an extraordinary set of circumstances, but it did happen, there was just too much time left.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

"I came in here to run the ball. The one statistic I had as far as a target to hit was 20 rushing attempts in the second half, I thought that would be a very important target to hit for our offense.” ..." Mike McCarthy

I'll admit I missed that in my analysis.

Now that makes it worse staying with a goal plan of 20 runs in the 2nd half and limiting Aaron Rodgers available skills.

"I came in here to run the ball. The one statistic I had as far as a target to hit was 20 rushing attempts in the second half, I thought that would be a very important target to hit for our offense.” ..." Mike McCarthy

I'll admit I missed that in my analysis.

Now that makes it worse staying with a goal plan of 20 runs in the 2nd half and limiting Aaron Rodgers available skills.
    Or does it make it better because he realized that it wasn't going to work and stopped at 13 runs?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

No he didn't. If you go back to that quote, he wanted 20 rushes in the second half. And as was made evident by the passing for a FG, he didn't just want to call running plays because that was the entire game plan. He wanted the lead and then he wanted to bury the clock by running it out.

From a first level analysis, that strategy is sound. Most winning teams have big running numbers in the second half while they have the lead and they want the clock to run. Remember the old chestnut about the Cowboys being 76-6 when Tony Dorsett rushes for 100 yards? That was because the Cowboys had second half leads in those games and they ran Dorsett to shorten the game and reduce the chance of turnovers.

But if you look closer, running can cost you and help the opposition if you are not getting first downs while running down the clock. And that describes what was happening to the Packer offense in the second half. It wasn't efficient enough and there was too much time left for 5 runs in 6 plays to bleed the clock far enough. It took an extraordinary set of circumstances, but it did happen, there was just too much time left.
    Perhaps our O linemen should try to hone their run blocking skills this summer so we can truly run out the clock with Lacy and Starks when we have a lead. If we could have run the ball better and got some first downs in the NFCC game we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Perhaps our O linemen should try to hone their run blocking skills this summer so we can truly run out the clock with Lacy and Starks when we have a lead. If we could have run the ball better and got some first downs in the NFCC game we wouldn't be having this discussion.
    There were two blown blocks on those two drives. I think Bach had one and Rodgers had another.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    if we could have done just this (name it - one thing) or executed that (name it - one play) better on just one and certainly (pick them - any) two occasion (s) in the NFCC game.

We would have been playing New England in this last Super Bowl.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ane-went-down/

Brady, McDaniels smelled blood when Jeremy Lane went down

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 4, 2015, 8:31 PM EST

Comment woodbuck27:

Why didn't Dom Capers, Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers smell blood with obvious difficulties that Safety Earl Thomas (shoulder) and CB Richard Sherman (elbow) were having physically in the NFCC game?

Sherman was injured and operating with one arm for most of the 4th quarter.

The Green bay offense should have taken advantage of Sherman's state.

If they imagined he was faking it...test him early. Run right at him. Turn him inside and pass outside for chunk yardage through the air. Was he going to pick Aaron Rodgers with one arm?
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 02-04-2015 at 09:57 PM.

Or does it make it better because he realized that it wasn't going to work and stopped at 13 runs?
    What really stopped him from 20 rushes was going 3 and out 3 times, and 4 and out once in the second half. On the two 3 and outs with the score 19-7, he ran the ball 5 out of 6 plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    What really stopped him from 20 rushes was going 3 and out 3 times, and 4 and out once in the second half. On the two 3 and outs with the score 19-7, he ran the ball 5 out of 6 plays.
    Yeah, but that last sequence was strictly his 4 minute football and 20 runs target or no, I expected it with 5 minutes to go.

If he really wanted 20 runs as his 2nd half with a lead game plan, then its even worse given the results of running in the 2nd half. Though he didn't have a ton of success in either kind of offense all game.

The giveaway, I think, is that when he needed to score, out came the passing game again.

In my final analysis I find that Packers HC Mike McCarthy has to deal with most of the blame.

The Packers 'D' did a lot to hold Seattle's 'O' back and time and time again the Packers 'O' failed to take real advantage of that only scoring 1 TD and too often settling for 5 FG's. The finger might be pointed at players and execution. It's McCarthy's job to ensure that's not the case selecting better plays.

Mike McCarthy has to take the blame for an unacceptable ST effort in this game. McCarthy hung onto ST Coordinator Shawn Slocum far too long.

When the celebrations got anywhere close to too much on his sideline and after the Morgan Burnett pick and slightly over 5 minutes remaining in the 4th quarter. As the ultimate leader and HC he had to ensure that his players got a grip. There was to much game left for premature celebrations. MM has to condition his team to play all out for a full 60 minutes.

The Packer lead went south when the Packers best player Clay Matthews came out and was left out of the game with more than 7 minutes remaining in the 4th quarter. The Dom Capers 'D' was working with Matthews on the field and it tightened up when Clay Matthews was relaxing/celebrating and looking concerned on the sideline. Did he really need approximately a 20 minute rest in 'real time'? Blame his inactivity on the field on injury? He looked fine and he was in during OT. It might be suspected that MM was protecting Clay Matthews for the Super Bowl game? If so not the plan !

Mike McCarthy has to learn to go all out all the way balls to the walls. He has to overcome his conservative approach to calling plays and doing so to play not to lose. McCarthy has to play it to crush the opposition. Play it to win BIG every game just that. In the NFL you can never play it cute. Mike McCarthy has to learn and adapt that to his philoaophy. Belichick and Brady bury the opposition to absolutely ensure a big win. NFL football games is nothing about 'having fun'. It's all about domination and especially that with a dominating offense.

The bottom line is that we should hope for some change in Mike McCarthy. Many will defend him based on his record. This is a new day and next season the next of his career. Mike McCarthy has arguably the premiere QB in the NFL as the Packer leader.

The 2014 Season and the collapse in Seattle can 'only' be used for a better result in 2015. The man to spearhead that is Coach Mike McCarthy and utilizing every available means for more success.

GO PACKERS ! GO PACK GO !
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 02-05-2015 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    dal took play calling away from garrett and things improved greatly. maybe it's time for the same fix here.
    hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    hmmmm
    Good to see MM still reads Packerrats.