Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: An Attempt At Discussing McCarthy's Future

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

An Attempt At Discussing McCarthy's Future

I think most of us are in agreence that McCarthy (and Capers) playcalling is what largely cost us this game. Too conservative, too scared, lacking balls, etc.

But the questions becomes: What are we going to do about?

McCarthy is a fantastic man, motivator, and developer of talent. That being said, in the NFL today, you can't win on being a good guy with a hearty laugh and good morals. We have one of the best QBs to play the game and we're squandering it year after year. That isn't all on McCarthy, not by any means, but I'm just gonna throw some things out there as food for thought. These are just my opinions and I am by no means stating these as facts:

1. If you take away the Super Bowl run in 2010, he's 3-6 in the playoffs. 3 of those losses have come at home.

2. While overseeing a high-scoring offense, I don't think anybody would argue that he is a good playcaller. He has benefited from fantastic talent around him and he has Ted to thank for that.

3. His attitude causes some concern. Watch the postgame press conferences from both Rodgers and McCarthy. Rodgers clearly took issue with the playcalling, but ultimately says the whole team takes responsibility. McCarthy churned out some hoo-rah we played hard and Seattle made great plays, what a game. He also refused to question his playcalling.

4. He has not shown any huge improvements as a coach. Some coaches you can actively see improving over the years. With Mike, I think what you see now is what you will always have.

5. As a Florida Gator, I will point out two notes on coaches. We fired Will Muschamp because, although he was well-liked, a fantastic man, and a great motivator, he wasn't delivering results. We expect success and don't accept moral victories year after year. This year, Ohio State won a championship with our old coach, Urban Meyer. Ohio State does not win that title if Urban isn't their coach. He willed them to that title and is proof of the impact elite coaching can have on a team.

So, with that being said, how long of a leash do you give Mike? This team is too talented to miss out on playoffs, but an attitude of just making it year after year only to fall one or two games short isn't pleasing anybody. When do you say enough is enough?
    "I've got one word for you- Dallas, Texas, Super Bowl"- Jermichael Finley

Wow....they are coming out of the woodwork. Father or son?
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Holy spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Out View Post
    Yep. I noticed that too. The really bad ones are just increasing the size of my ignore list.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

McCarthy isn't going to sit on the playcalling couch to discuss his approach with the media.

I actually think Rodgers has taken some liberties with his relationship with the coach in the media and M3 needs to sit on him.

Perhaps if the League MVP can look back at his off target throws and find something else to work on this offseason.*

*last one is a cheap shot as he is playing hurt.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I actually think Rodgers has taken some liberties with his relationship with the coach in the media and M3 needs to sit on him.
    I dunno...that could cause further injury to his calf. McCarthy is starting to get rather hefty.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Is this the mature alternative to the "The difference between a good coach and bad coach" thread?

Blog Entries
    McCarthy's future is bright. 4 straight division championships, Super Bowl victory, 3 NFC Championships (I think). One of the highest winning percentages in coaching. Top 10 offenses every damn year. A few guys that need to be re-upped I'd say but if that happens along with a decent draft class, combined with Seattle's likely attrition, Brady and Manning hitting their end, I'd say the Packers have a good chance at going into next year as Super Bowl favorites. If Cobb and Bulaga are back along with a couple more guys, I'd put them ahead of the Colts next year myself.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    If Cobb and Bulaga are back along with a couple more guys, I'd put them ahead of the Colts next year myself.
    Oh goodie! We are ahead of a team who just lost 45-7.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    Oh goodie! We are ahead of a team who just lost 45-7.
    Seattle and New England have challenges to maintaining elite status. Colts are at least near the top, trending that way with a young franchise qb.

Who else you got as favorites? Dallas? They have a bunch of questions this offseason. Arizona? maybe but that's debatable. Baltimore? perhaps.

future = coronary issues
    Brandon Marshall, MAN...!!
    Jimmie Johnson: Nascar's G.O.A.T......

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    McCarthy's future is bright. 4 straight division championships, Super Bowl victory, 3 NFC Championships (I think). One of the highest winning percentages in coaching. Top 10 offenses every damn year. A few guys that need to be re-upped I'd say but if that happens along with a decent draft class, combined with Seattle's likely attrition, Brady and Manning hitting their end, I'd say the Packers have a good chance at going into next year as Super Bowl favorites. If Cobb and Bulaga are back along with a couple more guys, I'd put them ahead of the Colts next year myself.
    and Mike McCarthy will still be THE SAME MIKE MCCARTHY.

He won't get his team another Super Bowl win unless he makes some serious changes.

That man has to first and foremost hold himself responsible for that loss today.

That's a decent and understandable start.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    That man has to first and foremost hold himself responsible for that loss today.
    I agree. Seeing Big Mike after the game, he looked shell shocked. I don't mean that as a metaphor, I mean he literally looked like he crawled out of a WW I trench.

It will take some time.

Seriously - can they mentally get over this? Something like this can really affect a person for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by domey View Post
    Seriously - can they mentally get over this? Something like this can really affect a person for a long time.
    I find myself wanting to fire MM. I am unhinged.

Quote Originally Posted by domey View Post
    I've seen comparisons to the decline that happened to the Cowboys after "The Catch." That being said, look at the Spurs. Lost gut-wrenchingly to the Heat and then came back the next year and absolutely dominated them in the Finals. But again, they have an elite coach in Pop and an amazing crew of veterans. Not a perfect comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post
    I agree. Seeing Big Mike after the game, he looked shell shocked. I don't mean that as a metaphor, I mean he literally looked like he crawled out of a WW I trench.

It will take some time.
    He didn't crawl out of a trench - he crawled out of a shell; b/c that is what he crawled into with 5:00 left in the game - just hoping the clock would run out... tick, tock... why won't it go faster??!!!

MM was simply terrible at the end of this game, and dunderdummy was worse... as good a job as they did in the first half, they exponentially screwed it the other way in the 2nd half.

MM isn't going anywhere - but for the love of God, can we get rid of dunderdummy?? I'm beggin ya??
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    but for the love of God, can we get rid of dunderdummy?? I'm beggin ya??
    We gave up 21 points to the prolific cowboy offense. We gave up 22 to the Seahawks on a day where Rodgers through two picks. Exactly what is the problem here? Did you not expect to win both games with the points allowed?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Huckleby View Post

It will take some time.
    Yeah, I gotta imagine as tough as it is for fans, it's got to be devastating for coaches and players.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    Yeah, I gotta imagine as tough as it is for fans, it's got to be devastating for coaches and players.
    If you go to the Packers' website and watch video clips of the players as they clean out their lockers on Monday they are still in shock. Make it a point to watch Randall Cobb. He said he awoke several times Sunday night because he couldn't sleep. Listening to Aaron's radio show earlier on Tuesday you could tell he truly didn't want to talk about the game even after 2 days. This is gonna take a while for them to digest this disaster and move on.