Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Thread: Another Patriot Scandal??

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    ^^ I got it. You don't care about cheating. So be it. who knows, maybe the next time they get caught it'll eclipse your outrage threshold.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    ^^ I got it. You don't care about cheating. So be it. who knows, maybe the next time they get caught it'll eclipse your outrage threshold.

I'm not for it. Should Jerry Rice be yanked from the hall of fame? He said he cheated.
    There is indeed a threshold. Spygate was a big no-no. The Saints situation is sad because the NFL TOLD THEM to knock it off and it was ignored.

Panthers warmed up balls during an extremely cold game against the Vikings last year and both teams were warned as a reminder it was not cool so don't.

Should they have created a 4 month investigation against the Panthers for that?

Perspective people.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastak View Post
    I'm not for it. Should Jerry Rice be yanked from the hall of fame? He said he cheated.
    There is indeed a threshold. Spygate was a big no-no. The Saints situation is sad because the NFL TOLD THEM to knock it off and it was ignored.

Panthers warmed up balls during an extremely cold game against the Vikings last year and both teams were warned as a reminder it was not cool so don't.

Should they have created a 4 month investigation against the Panthers for that?

Perspective people.
    Why would they need an investigation? They didn't deny it on national TV. They didn't conduct their own field test and try to disprove it. After caught, they didn't setup a website continuing to deny it.

It wasn't just the balls' psi that is the issue here. It is the lack of complete cooperation with the investigation that got Kraft and Brady in hot water over what seems to be a venial sin. I'll say this: if we ever hear of the Packers cheating with the balls' psi, a spygate-like situation or another Bountygate I'd have no problem with the league coming down hard on us like they did with NE.

Oracle Rat HOFer Cheesehead Craig's Avatar
    NE doesn't care. They got their wins and SB trophy and the rest is just postering. The trophy won't be taken away, The good old boys club will change the public sentence and fans and talk shows will be outraged for a week. Then the ferret-on-cappucino like attention span of the collective public will focus on something else. Training camp comes around and suddenly fans just want to think about the coming season and "boy, they have a good shot this year don't they?". Then the usual talk about how useless and overpriced the exhibition games are, then the regular season comes and then the fans and media just focus on that and the Pats story comes up in week 1 but is then forgotten about by week 3 as everyone will just focus on the season itself, the injuries and latest stupidity of some player, and what coach is on the hotseat. This whole mess will just be a footnote in time.
    All hail the Ruler of the Meadow!

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    There is indeed a threshold.
    Deliberate. Obfuscation. Denial. Denial. Repeated Pattern. All these should be WAY beyond threshold, even if the infraction itself appears minor.

Yeah, and if Jerry Rice cheated to gain an advantage, repeatedly, throw his ass out of the HOF. Ask Pete Rose what he thinks.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

If they would have just conducted a dispersal draft following Spygate, as I had suggested, this whole mess would have been avoided.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Its too late to vacate the superbowl win. They should have vacated the AFCC. Then we could have watched the Colts and Seahawks face off in the Freakishly Lucky bowl.

I think its worth differentiating Jerry Rice cheating from Belichick cheating if only because Rice didn't get caught. Its the difference between breaking a rule that wasn't enforced vs a rule that was. Hell, teams get away with cheating all the time on the field with cameras rolling if the officials blow a call. You've got to nail teams in the act to make others worry about the consequences. Dragging old timers like Rice out of Canton serves only to make an example out of opening your mouth after becoming a hall of fame cheater.

Even if its too late the give the Pats justice, the XLIX Lombardi Trophy should feature a flaccid ball on top.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Its too late to vacate the superbowl win. They should have vacated the AFCC. Then we could have watched the Colts and Seahawks face off in the Freakishly Lucky bowl.

I think its worth differentiating Jerry Rice cheating from Belichick cheating if only because Rice didn't get caught. Its the difference between breaking a rule that wasn't enforced vs a rule that was. Hell, teams get away with cheating all the time on the field with cameras rolling if the officials blow a call. You've got to nail teams in the act to make others worry about the consequences. Dragging old timers like Rice out of Canton serves only to make an example out of opening your mouth after becoming a hall of fame cheater.

Even if its too late the give the Pats justice, the XLIX Lombardi Trophy should feature a flaccid ball on top.
    If we removed all the players from the HOF who ever cheated the size of that hall would resemble an old fashioned phone booth.

All right, now this is more like it.

Sports Illustrated ‏@SInow 57m57 minutes ago
    Roger Goodell says the NFL did NOT ask the Patriots to suspend Jim McNally and John Jastremski http://on.si.com/1K2gtsW

Fight! Fight! FIGHT!
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Man, keep it in perspective people. The Colts footballs were also down a similar amount of air. The NFL was, as usual, a bunch of witch hunting morons making a mountain out of a molehill.

They are just as at fault that it even came to this given the lax security and lack of league control around footballs.

Anyway, just another reason why Goodell the knucklehead should probably be booted. I am no Pats fan but after giving way to much thought than it deserves, the NFL screwed the pooch here.
    My feeling is that this is just the tip of the iceberg in regards to the stunts the Patriots have been pulling. Between Spygate, all the stories of communication cutting out, and now this there is no doubt in my mind the NFL has warned them repeatedly to cut it out.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    It wasn't just the balls' psi that is the issue here. It is the lack of complete cooperation with the investigation that got Kraft and Brady in hot water over what seems to be a venial sin. I'll say this: if we ever hear of the Packers cheating with the balls' psi, a spygate-like situation or another Bountygate I'd have no problem with the league coming down hard on us like they did with NE.

I agree the lack of cooperation made a kick in the ass warranted on some level.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    My feeling is that this is just the tip of the iceberg in regards to the stunts the Patriots have been pulling. Between Spygate, all the stories of communication cutting out, and now this there is no doubt in my mind the NFL has warned them repeatedly to cut it out.
    It's probably the tip of the iceberg of what alot of teams try and do. That's why the NFL probably should deal with this stuff behind closed doors.

It's probably the tip of the iceberg of what alot of teams try and do. That's why the NFL probably should deal with this stuff behind closed doors.
    At one time it was the general feeling that the NFL didn't crack down on NE more harshly for their shenanigans because they threatened to get vocal about what everyone else was up to. I'm still not sure that isn't why Belichick was 'exonerated'.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

A new report out by the American Enterprise institute that does a good job of explaining that the Wells report, and pretty much the whole way the NFL officials went about gathering 'information' was crap. The relevant bit:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rt-unreliable/
    AEI focuses on the conclusion that the Patriots tampered with air pressure in footballs prior to the AFC title game because the footballs used by the Patriots in the first half had a more significant drop in air pressure than the footballs used by the Colts in the first half. AEI rejects that finding based on two factors previously raised here: (1) NFL officials measured only four of the 12 Colts footballs at halftime due to supposed time constraints; and (2) the footballs used by the Colts experienced a likely increase in air pressure while in a warmer environment as the 11 footballs used by the Patriots were tested with two different gauges and then re-inflated.
    All hail the ideal gas law!

I'm not saying the Patriots didn't at least try to cheat, just that this shows the evidence gathering was fatally flawed. I still think Brady should get his punishment for not cooperating, but the party who maybe shouldn't be punished is the team itself!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Patriots operated under the assumption that they are above the 'law'. No one should be surprised when the league gets vindictive. There are 32 teams and they are supposed to be equal in the eyes of the 'law'.